• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Continuation of Gopher's issues

Gopher

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tellin' you guys.  Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube, and a gas port from 0.073" to 0.085" fixed this gun. 

You're welcome, PSA. Your customer will be happy with his new rifle that works.  Now.

Edited by 98Z5V

Restored to OEM configuration, for a test fire.  FSB is back on there with handguard endcap, taper-pinned in place, delta-ring barrel nut holding it all down.  The test is easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy (as @washguy would say)...  Good thing I recorded my ejection pattern on the last test fire...   If my ejection pattern changes to "the easier side" in the least on this one, it means the gas block is covering part of the barrel's gas port, because it wasn't drilled in an appropriate place to run the handguard endcap...  

P1060598.thumb.JPG.28468614523449740e71eea3a2e76ec9.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

@Gopher this configuration gets shot in the morning - I've had a hell of a week, brother.  Provided all works out (or doesn't), I'll have pics and a shoot video up in the morning on it all.  I think it will be fine, but I just want to check and make sure.

Provided it's fine, the FSB gets chopped and Cerakoted, the gun gets rebuilt on your upper, and I'll get her right back to you.  Watch the thread on the morning, and the results will be up - I'm going out early AM on this one, to beat the heat here.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

@Gopher  Steve, you are WAY GOOD, brother.  Way good.  She runs, very well.  Tested the FSB to make sure there's not a "covering of the gas port," and I'm not seeing any kind of change in the ejection pattern, at all.

P1060617.thumb.JPG.063e182a05a9ee229ad767b499411273.JPG

Here's the test-fire vid.  16 rounds. One mag with one, to test single-round lockback, then a mag of 15.  Not even a hiccup in it, in the least.  It just goes.  :thumbup:

I've already got it apart right now, and I chopped up the front sight base.  I need to blend and smooth it, then I'll Cerakote it, and get your upper back together.  There'sno reason that I can't get this back in the mail to you tomorrow (Monday).  You'll be shooting without issue, next weekend - unless you want to take a day off work when it arrives...  :laffs::banana:

On 7/10/2018 at 3:04 PM, Gopher said:

As far as the mags go, I can not load either of my mags if the bolt is closed, only when the bolt is open.  This maybe causing an issue too, not sure but if so then there is an issue maybe with my lower.

I wanted to hit a couple points that I never mentioned before.  This has been a wild process, so see what's going on with this gun.  Loaded mags, and loading mags - Any new mag is gonna be stiff as hell, and its gonna exert some serious pressure on that 20th, top round, to seat the thing on a closed bolt.  With new mags, I usually only go 1/2 way on them until I cycle them a few times.  Sometimes it takes some serious pressure to seat a 20-rd mag with 20 rounds, on a closed bolt. 

So, thoughout last weekend and this weekend, shooting these operational parts  - remember, they were remounted into AP M5 receivers, for firing...  Last weekend I loaded up 3 x 20rd Pmags, and you have to push to load them on a closed bolt, but they "click in." This past weekend, I had 15 rounds on a 20rd Pmag, and you still have to push to click it in there. The mags I used for single-round lockback testing had only one round loaded, and those things clicked right in there with no effort.

Test that, Steve, when you get this bad boy back on Thursday.  It shipped today, UPS says you'll get it Thursday.  Run some limited rounds in those mags, and see if it's any easier to seat the mags.  :thumbup:

On 7/13/2018 at 11:22 PM, bfoosh006 said:

I am curious if the bolt carrier ( with no bolt installed ) will easily slide into its proper position ?

Also, I would check your front sight / gas block... make sure it is not loose or canted, or if the gas tube is loose... and / or is the gas key loose ?

I would avoid Monarch ammo. .. some of my adj. GB ones dislike even ZQI's inimal volume of gas  ( odd powder burn rate or ? )...

Can you see if the BCG has any odd wear marks on it ? .. and post photos if there are.

And check the bolt lugs for odd wear marks.

These were all great points, and I checked all this stuff, right down the list here - but never reported on it.

Whatever caused the BCG to hit the cam [i cutout area front and rear - it has fixed itself now. There is no doubt in my mind that the cam pin cutout area had edges that shouldn't have been there - they're gone now.  The BCG slides smoothly in the PSA upper receiver, with the bolt removed from the BCG body, and no charging handle in there.  I checked this on the stripped upper, and there wasn't even a gas tube in there. It slides well, and doesn't hang up anywhere. So, it "clearanced" itself, during initial weapons function. 

The FSB was taper-pinned on there, and it was straight.  That was correct. I didn't noticed any weird gas problems or leakage in that area.  The AR15 gas tube had to "bend" alittle to function here, and that cause alot of carbon buildup at the end of the tube that goes into the FSB, but it looked like there was enough carbon buildup to form a seal for the gas system.

The BCG did have those marks on it's top, on those bearing surfaces. More on the cam pin cutout side of the BCG, but that was to be expected, after looking at the upper receiver. 

The bolt lugs (and the barrel extension) both looked great.  I liked the BCG - very nice BCG, nitrided, and smooth.  They make a good 308AR BCG setup...

If there's anything else that was questioned, and didn't get answered, just quote it and let me know - I'll go back and provide that info.

Edited by 98Z5V

21 hours ago, mley1 said:

Gopher, looks like you're gonna be all set. Keep us posted on how she shoots when you get her back, and on the range. Great work 98Z5V. That front site base looks clean man. Very nice.

Thank you, mley, thank you. :thumbup: