• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's .260 Remington

98Z5V

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working up the initial test loads tonight,and shooting it in the morning.  Bullet of choice right now is the 130gr Sierra Game King. Powder is RL22. We'll see how this goes, in the morning.  Goal is 100 yards, checking the charge weights.  Working with 7 different loads that should range the FPS span of 2700~2800.  I'm making up a bunch of extras on the lowest charge weight, so I can play with it at 500 and 800 yards.  I hope it doesn't suck, on that lowest charge weight.

At 2800fps, I'll have 3.0 mils of drop at 500 yards, and 7.1 mils of drop at 800 yards. 

For comparison, that flat-shooting 18" Grendel outdid the .308 bolt gun, and at 845 yards it was 9.0 mils of drop. This is 8.0 mils of drop at 850.  If we get froggy, and put a plate at 1000, it's 11.1 mils of drop.

I'm excited.  :banana:

P.S.  @Matt.Cross we found a "new range" a little south of the Tank.  We can do 1760 yards easy, there.  We'll recon in the morning, and that's where we'll set this shoot up at for the load tests and playing at the distances. I'll report back...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

A full mile? I think you're making me moist.

Seperate note. You should PM me and tell me what kind of stuff to send you for the MRAD loads for the fall shoot. 

You've got the only caliber that can really do it, brother.  260 Rem will go about 1300.  300 Win Mag might go 1500.  338 Lapua Mag is the only one that can make this happen, at 1760...   :thumbup:

The Hornady 225 SSTs that I loaded last time have a BC of .515, which is badass.  If we move to the 250gr BTHP Match, those things have a BC of .670, which is out of this world. Problem is, you can pick up 100 of those 225 SSTs for cheaper than you can get a 50-box of those 250 BTHPs... 

If you wanna order up some Hornady projectiles, then order part # 33361.  Those are a 50-box of 250 BTHPs.  They don't sell them in bulk, so there's no way to save by buying a box of 500...  I will load the SHIIT out of those!...  :thumbup:

They won't make a difference, through your rifle, under 1k yards.  They WILL make a difference if we're going longer.  They sure will.

PS.  RL22 powder.  Reloder 22, if we stay with the 225 SSTs.  If you really wanna go with those 250gr BTHP Match rounds, then it's RL26, Reloder 26. We can push 2950fps with that combination, but we're JAMMING 2900 fps with the 225 SSTs and 90.0 grains of RL22 already.  The BC of the bullet is what makes the difference, but it's not alot of difference at 1k. Not out of that gun...

Edited by 98Z5V

When we get into the Hornady 285gr bullets, that's where the super long distance "nerd magic" starts to happen.  RL22 powder on those, rocking a max fps of 2750, but the BC is in the higher 700s on all three 285gr projectiles. The 285 ELD-Match has a BC of .789, and the 285 BTHP Match is coming in at .756...   That is some serious shiit...  

Edited by 98Z5V

I say we stick to the 225 SSTs in your gun, with RL22 powder.  Each one is a 90.0 grain load, and there's 7000 grains in a pound.  This is what I ran into last year...

I can load 77.777 rounds per pound, not counting any kinda "spillage"  I got 76 round loaded last year in a pound, and had a little bit shaking around in the bottom of the can.  I had to buy another pound to get the 86 empty cases loaded, that I had from the year before...

Which leads me to another problem.  I didn't want all that powder "sitting around" for that long, between Fall Shoots, so I had to figure out other loads.  300 Win Mag is a go, so I bought THAT rifle.  260 Rem is a go for RL22 powder, so I built THAT rifle... 

You've fucked me, brother, and now I have MORE rifles because of that damn powder...   I'm not blaming you, really, but...  Shiit happens...  to me...:laffs:

You're the reason we're even IN this thread right now, talking about this damn 260 Rem...   :lmao:

(Like how I brought that all back "on track" right there?...   :thumbup:)

:banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Sounds like we'll go with 225's then. I'll get them ordered as soon as I get home. Been in F-ing Reno the last couple days visiting the grandkids.

The Hornady part number in those bitchin' 225gr SSTs in .338 cal is 33202.  They're so damn big that they don't offer them in bulk, either, but that's the part # for the box of 100 projos.  :thumbup:

Side note - the .260 Rem shoots WELL. The chamber was sticking a few rounds, so I polished it once I got back.  It's 100% better now, but that's how we find these things out.  It was tight, and left a few circular marks around the ejected brass.  It didn't fail to cycle, though.  That Armalite AR-10 Rifle Gas Tube will aid this issue a little, too, once I get it in there. 

So, those 130 SGKs, and my load of RL22.  That's a no-go.  That was 47.3 grains.  The first two round flattened and cratered the primers pretty good.  Nothing blew up, so I shot two more - it pierced those primers.  Fucking holes in them.  It's a fat projectile, too, so I had to load those at 2.750" to keep them out of the lands.  I didn't like that, but oh well.  That's how the first one checked out, and that's what I went with. 

Oh, I necked UP some .243 Win, too, and used it, because I had them (7 pieces, for some reason?...).

P1060672.thumb.JPG.57de67d3df29a0d87278111654b59c41.JPG

So, when I saw that case capacity and those longass 130 SGKs going in there, in the initial batch, I decided that I didn't like that, and it was nearing a compressed load - so I switched the rest of the test loads to the 123gr Hornady ELD-Ms that I load in the Grendels.  Those 130s were already loaded, about 25 of them, but I didn't shoot anymore of them after that.  They'll all get pulled.

I worked up 5 each of 47.6, 47.9, 48.2, 48.5 and 48.8.  Dropping almost 10 grains in the bullet was the equivalent of dropping a full grain of powder (according to research on the Sierra loadings), so I went with it anyway.  The 47.6 charge gave me the best group, but flattened primers.  All the rest of the higher loads flattened the primers, too, but I shot them anyway. The groups got worse (opened up), and the ejector smears started showing up at the higher charges.

So, looks like my "starting loads" should have been my highest loads.  Back to the drawing board on this one.  I'll shoot it next Saturday morning or Sunday morning and figure out more on it.  I need more 123 ELD-Ms before I can do that. Done shot myself out of those things.

Those 130 SGKs won't be forgotten - I need to drop two full grains off that load and start completely over on it. 

LaRue LT-158 mount (SPR-S mount) with 10 MOA of built-in cant - clears this scope, with it's 50mm objective.  Fucking badass.  I love it.  Athlon Argos BTR 6~24 in mils.

I love it...

image.thumb.png.39f60cbc2038331575c71deaf611408d.png

Only things missing right now are a sling, and PAINT. This fucker is getting Cerakoted, dirt-colors. :thumbup:

Notice, closely, that I mounted that scope mount correctly, and not fucking backwards...   :lmao:

I scrapped everything with Alliant Reloder 22 powder in this cartridge, with the 130 SGKs. I started over again tonight with Accurate 2495 and Barnes 120 TSX.  I have seven loads made up that I'll shoot next Saturday morning. At least I'll have a good hunting load here.  I'll re-visit these 130 SGKs with a different powder.

I was too close on maxing case capacity in the RL22, and compressed some of them (and pierced two primers). The powder is just not fast enough (or I'm WAY too high on the load), takes too much powder to get the speeds I'll need.  On the opposite end of that spectrum now, the Accurate 2495 is comparable to Varget, but a little faster.  We see what happens.

If I can get the new Hornady 147 ELD-Match projectile to 2600 fps, I'll be supersonic to 1600 yards. If I can make 2700 fps, that's supersonic to 1650 yards.  I'm knocking on that mile door...  

Watch out, Ray...  :thumbup::laffs:

There might end up being a slight wager thrown down during this shoot.  It's happened in the past, but I think that the last time any of us put money on the table was 2012. 

Bring some spending money - I might be a little man, but that doesn't mean I might not pull something big out of my pocket!...   :banana:

Got back out with the Accurate 2495 loads this morning, and some Barnes 6.5mm 120 TSX projectiles.  I'll keep the 37.4 grains as a charge for these 120TSXs.  At least I have a good hunting load out of the deal.   Should be 2656fps on this load.

P1060699.thumb.JPG.eddeb07d5c92417897a5cef5c2d62e14.JPG

Not pissing around this morning - got out the lead sled for this...

P1060700.thumb.JPG.6776fa1534f1f05093fa44be7cb37cf3.JPG

P1060701.thumb.JPG.f3fc150fb2252020f53d6bea8ec6b9a1.JPG

P1060702.thumb.JPG.c3624e039a4510b7aca66abba6dc9b58.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...