• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ye ole' cycling issue...

D.R.D.

Bolt is not locking back.

Following rounds are not being chambered

Running Federal 168gr Gold Medal Match Ammo

I began opening up the adjustable gas block incrementally.  No change.

Could this be a  mag issue?  I'm running PMAGs - feeding lips?  How do I know?

Could this be a bolt or mag catch issue?  I'm using Fulton Armory LPK. Again how would I know?

I had the bolt carrier, (D. Wilson Mfg) and the buffer/spring (Armalite) permanently dry lubed with slipstream, and put wet slipstream on top of that.

The gun shoots like a laser, but just won't cycle.  Only 25 rounds total, through it at this point (shoots sub 3/4" MOA :)

What order should I consider the above?  Other issues I'm over-looking?  

Thanks,

DRD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1.  Run it WET, if it isn't.

#2. Way low round count, might need to shoot more to seal the gas system (gas block to gas tube, gas bloc to barrel).

#3.  Wide Open that gas block, right away. Always.  Run it wide open, and cut it back from there, no matter what the manufacturer told you.

#4.  Highly doubt it's a mag issue, or a LPK issue, based on the reputation of both those manufacturers.

Lube, and wide open gas block - gotta start there.

" I had the bolt carrier, (D. Wilson Mfg) and the buffer/spring (Armalite) permanently dry lubed with slipstream, and put wet slipstream on top of that. "

What receiver extension? Armalite parts for buffer/spring are the H3 buffer and the EA1095 spring?

1 minute ago, D.R.D. said:

Yes, the Armalite H3 buffer and the EA1095 spring in a UTG PRO tube: https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-6-position-mil-spec-extension-tube-for-308.html

THAT is the issue, man.  Right there.  Measure the internal depth, and you'll see it's 7.000".  You need a tube that 7 5/8" with that recoil system. Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, or VLTOR A5 Receiver extension.  Nothing else will be right.

Can you even lock that bolt back?

You measured that to verify, yes?  It's really 7 5/8" internal depth?  I guess if you can lock it back by hand, then it is, 'cause that wouldn't happen on a 7" extension.   Gas and lube, then.  Shoot it more - needs more than 25 rounds, and needs lube.  Got a build thread on this beast somewhere, listing the build details?  Upper, lower, barrel, etc., by brand?

Man, you're gonna have to stick a tape measure down this thing to show me - I've searched high and low, and I can't find any reference to the internal length of this receiver extension.  I just can't.  There are several sites saying that it's for the "AR-10" but we know how that is. Gotta stick that tape measure in it and put the pic up... I'm just sayin'... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Upper:

·         SI-Defense Billet .308 Upper Receiver                                                                          

·         SI-Defense upper parts (port cover, spring, forward assist)                                     

·         MI SS Gen II FF DPMS High .210 15 Handguard                                                             

·         18” Lothar Walther Vartac 1:10 Barrel LW50 .750 Rifle-Length 6 groove 47oz. w/ matched NiB Bolt  

·         Brake: Nathan Wrights Muzzle-Brakes-and-More 3-port Beast                                        

·         Mega Arms Slide Lock Charging Handle                                                                    

·         D. Wilson Mfg Nitride Carrier (w/o Bolt)                                                                             

·         Radical Firearms Adjustable Gas Block (.750)                                                                 

·         Strike Industries Rifle-Length Gas tube                                                                        

Lower:

·         SI-Defense Billet .308 Lower Receiver 

·         Lower parts kit w/o tcg Fulton Armory                                                                               

·         Geissele SD-E Trigger                                                                                                       

·         Grip: Ergo                                                                                                                         

·         Armaspec ST45 - 45 Degree Short Throw Ambi Safety Selector Switch                          

·         Stock: MOE with LaRue RISR and Magpul .70” buttpad extender                                                                                                    

·         Leapers-UTG 6-Position Carbine Receiver Extension Tube                                               

·         Armalite EC0120 AR10 Carbine H3 Buffer 5.4 oz.                                                            

·         Armalite EA1095 Spring                                                                                                

·         Magpul 7.62 P-Mag                                                                                       

8 lbs 14oz unloaded

Optics:

Burris XTR II 4-20x50 H59A1 Reticle

Vortex Bubble Level 

ADM Recon-S 20 MOA QD Mount 

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Man, you're gonna have to stick a tape measure down this thing to show me - I've searched high and low, and I can't find any reference to the internal length of this receiver extension.  I just can't.  There are several sites saying that it's for the "AR-10" but we know how that is. Gotta stick that tape measure in it and put the pic up... I'm just sayin'... 

Hit this one, if you will, please - just saw your post.  It's easy, just do it now, and no need tocall them for anything, man.

Also, if you can, get a pic up of how far that gas tube protrudes into the upper receiver - need to see the relation of how long it is, and how far it goes into the cam pin cutout in the upper...  That's an important factor... 

Edited by 98Z5V

How far should what go?  The gas tube?  Just get the pic.  It should go to the very center of the cam pin cutout.  If you're talking about the tape measure, into the receiver extension, it should go 7 5/8" into the receiver extension, measured at the top part of the receiver extension. 

29 minutes ago, D.R.D. said:

Upper:

·         SI-Defense Billet .308 Upper Receiver                                                                          

·         SI-Defense upper parts (port cover, spring, forward assist)                                     

·         MI SS Gen II FF DPMS High .210 15 Handguard                                                             

·         18” Lothar Walther Vartac 1:10 Barrel LW50 .750 Rifle-Length 6 groove 47oz. w/ matched NiB Bolt  

·         Brake: Nathan Wrights Muzzle-Brakes-and-More 3-port Beast                                        

·         Mega Arms Slide Lock Charging Handle    SNIP...

Is this a completely different build than the one gun described 3 months ago?...  I'm just trying to figure shiit out here...

Aaaaaaah, Floydie.  Master Gunsmith of Everything... I miss that guy...  

Yeah, that wasn't my build, just a thread I responded to, I believe.  It was a build idea, not my actual rifle.  

Matt, LOL - yeah, that damn LW.  I only had to speak with them once, it was delivered on time, and shot less that a 3/4" group with the first 4 shots out of the tube.  I should probably replace it....  ;-)  

98ZV5 - I'll measure as soon as I can, then lube it silly, and try again with 3 different mags and let you know...

Edited by D.R.D.

I'm pretty sure Lothar Walther Barrels use Armalite AR 10 Gas Port locations , which would be longer then used in AR 15/DPMS LR 308 . Though most 308 Barrels with Carbine gas positions , can run fine with a short protruding Gas Tube , Rifle length can be a bit picky , saying that I have a early  20" HB Krieger Criterion barrel from Fulton Armory that has shorter protrusion then is shown in this photo , its still far enough that its never been an issue .

DSCN2514.thumb.JPG.d8709ac49aa3c6b0595412d6348989eb.JPG

The photo above is perfect. Right in the middle of the cam pin cutout, just like it should be.  It's either gonna be that, or it's 3/16" too short.

I looked all over Leapers UTG website, and they don't have a specific .308AR receiver extension. I could only find one receiver extension from them, and it's for the AR15.  That's not gonna be the right receiver extension for using the Armalite AR-10 carbine recoil components...

These are the two best sources of info on it that I could find:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/16/leapers-introduces-6-position-308-ar-receiver-extension/

In this one, straight from Leapers, when you look at all the "related items" in that long list, there is no 308-specific receiver extension...

https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&status=utg&itemno=TLU001D

I'd bet that you have a receiver extension that is 7" internal depth, right there.  Perfect for an AR15, or a DPMS-based LR-308-type recoil system.

Edited by 98Z5V

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The photo above is perfect. Right in the middle of the cam pin cutout, just like it should be.  It's either gonna be that, or it's 3/16" too short.

I looked all over Leapers UTG website, and they don't have a specific .308AR receiver extension. I could only find one receiver extension from them, and it's for the AR15.  That's not gonna be the right receiver extension for using the Armalite AR-10 carbine recoil components...

These are the two best sources of info on it that I could find:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/16/leapers-introduces-6-position-308-ar-receiver-extension/

In this one, straight from Leapers, when you look at all the "related items" in that long list, there is no 308-specific receiver extension...

https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&status=utg&itemno=TLU001D

I'd bet that you have a receiver extension that is 7" internal depth, right there.  Perfect for an AR15, or a DPMS-based LR-308-type recoil system.

If his RE is 7" internal depth, how would he be able to lock his bolt back with an Armalite buffer?

He said it locks back by hand no problem. 3/4" would create one hell of a problem, even by hand...

35 minutes ago, COBrien said:

If his RE is 7" internal depth, how would he be able to lock his bolt back with an Armalite buffer?

He said it locks back by hand no problem. 3/4" would create one hell of a problem, even by hand...

I have that same question myself.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I have that same question myself.

I guess my point is, he'd have to have a 7-3/4" receiver extension, with an Armalite buffer, in order to lock it back by hand and not have any carrier strikes inside the lower.

Unless the receiver extension is just a RCH shorter than 7-3/4", my money says the extension isn't the problem.

EDIT: I'm betting it's just running too dry. Slather that BCG in 15W-50 Mobil 1 for the first 200 rounds (keep the bolt face clean and dry, though...), and I'd bet she'll start running right. Or it's a gas issue...

Edited by COBrien

Nope, I figured it out - that bolt catch is only grabbing the BCG body, and not the bolt face.  It doesn't travel rearward enough to catch on the bolt face, and it's probably barely catching that body of the BCG.  I'm putting that combination together right now, to try out.