Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit AR15 Builder
  • Visit
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
JohnnyBfromAZ

WTB Battleline industries SOPMOD SAPR

Recommended Posts

My AR10 SBR build is almost done, but i have to use a crazy high chin weld with my SOPMOD stock to use my NF scope. I was looking around and it looks like the Battleline industries SAPR is just the ticket. Does anyone have one they're not using or willing to sell? Anyone have experience with these? Are they good to go?

Edited by JohnnyBfromAZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one. I think I sold it in here. It does what it advertises for the most part. It adds a significant amount of weight and a good bit of length. i didnt like the bulk and it was overkill for me so I got rid of it. If I remember right,  I couldnt get the cheek piece exactly where I wanted.

Would it be easier to just get better fitting rings, or is the scope objective huge requiring a high mount?

Edited by blue109

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blue109 said:

I had one. I think I sold it in here. It does what it advertises for the most part. It adds a significant amount of weight and a good bit of length. i didnt like the bulk and it was overkill for me so I got rid of it. If I remember right,  I couldnt get the cheek piece exactly where I wanted.

Would it be easier to just get better fitting rings, or is the scope objective huge requiring a high mount?

So, i have a NF 3.5-15x50 scope and i need at least 1.5" tall rings to align with PVS-22 in front of optic. So yes, need more cheekweld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnnyBfromAZ said:

So, i have a NF 3.5-15x50 scope and i need at least 1.5" tall rings to align with PVS-22 in front of optic. So yes, need more cheekweld

LaRue has your answer, for the mount.

Also, this stock will do the deed, considerably cheaper than that stock you posted. It doesn't cant the buttplate, but that's over-rated.

https://www.abarms.com/A-B-Arms-Urban-Sniper-Stock-USS-p/abauss.htm

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually in the middle of a trade deal for a Geissele Super Precision SOPMOD mount for the SR-25/AR-10, but i do like Larue mounts and believe they have developed the superior QD system for pic rails.

That is an interesting stock, but the buttplate looks a bit thin and without cushion. While the 13.5" 308 doesnt recoil excessively in my opinion, it does still let you know it's there. I actually was looking at the SAPR specifically BECAUSE of the the cant feature. Fitting a precision rifle to your body is one of the most important aspects of shooting, and being able to adjust the butt cant of your stock to fit your clavicle area will surprise you- Recoil transfers through your body in a more efficient, linear fashion which aids in tracking your reticle through the shot as well as reducing fatigue from extended shooting periods.

So, if you see one let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnnyBfromAZ said:

That is an interesting stock, but the buttplate looks a bit thin and without cushion. While the 13.5" 308 doesnt recoil excessively in my opinion, it does still let you know it's there. I actually was looking at the SAPR specifically BECAUSE of the the cant feature. Fitting a precision rifle to your body is one of the most important aspects of shooting, and being able to adjust the butt cant of your stock to fit your clavicle area will surprise you- Recoil transfers through your body in a more efficient, linear fashion which aids in tracking your reticle through the shot as well as reducing fatigue from extended shooting periods.

So, if you see one let me know!

You didn't look closely enough at the website - you can get a tampon for the buttplate, and cushion the recoil. They make a rubber buttpad.

I know all about canting the buttstock endplate to fit your body.  All about it.  I'd recommend the Sierra Precision SPR-1 adjustable buttplate, but it's out of production:

308CurrentMods6.jpg

308CurrentMods7.jpg

308CurrentMods4.jpg

So, the cant in the buttplate is more hype than anything else.  You run with it if you want to, and believe what you want to, body position, body composition, whatever.  If it was that big of a deal, every modern military rifle would have that option, to adjust to the individual rifleman...  

On a 13.5" .308AR, it's not gonna help you, in the least.  That much magnification, in a 13.5" .308AR also isn't gonna help you that much, either.  Ask me how I know...

P1060432.JPG

You can talk about that all you want, the magnified optic, the buttplate cant, all that.  I've been through it.  That optic and that buttplate cant isn't gonna do anything for you for the accuracy of your 13.5" .308AR.  :thumbup:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny, you're building a .308AR with a 13.5" barrel.  You're putting on a NightForce 3.5-15x50 scope that is 14.7" long.  You'll also run the PVS-22 which is 7.08" long... 

That's 21.78" of optics on a rifle that's got a 13.5" barrel...  .308AR upper receiver length is about 8.5", lose some barrel length due to overlap of the barrel mating, but you're still at 22" of upper receiver, total, before that overlap.  The optic will need to be about flush with the end of the upper receiver to get proper eye relief...

How are you gonna pull this off?...  And why?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I know all about canting the buttstock endplate to fit your body.  All about it.  I'd recommend the Sierra Precision SPR-1 adjustable buttplate, but it's out of production

So, the cant in the buttplate is more hype than anything else.  You run with it if you want to, and believe what you want to, body position, body composition, whatever.  If it was that big of a deal, every modern military rifle would have that option, to adjust to the individual rifleman...

I'm confused, you endorse a stock with a butt cant feature, but then you immediately discount it? I shot precision rifles for the majority of my time in the Marines. The majority of the military's understanding about shooting is misguided, misinformed and predicated on premises that are antiquated if not downright ignorant. During my time in, I also began shooting competitively. Being around Highpower/DCM shooters, Biathletes and NRA smallbore matches has taught me infinitely more about shooting technique then I ever learned in the military. So when you say if it was a big deal, then military rifles would all have the option; I would reply with a hearty, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......NO. You're putting way too much faith in what the military teaches/understands. That's like an elementary school kid they can skip middle school and high school because they got it already.

 

35 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

On a 13.5" .308AR, it's not gonna help you, in the least.  That much magnification, in a 13.5" .308AR also isn't gonna help you that much, either.  Ask me how I know...

P1060432.JPG

You can talk about that all you want, the magnified optic, the buttplate cant, all that.  I've been through it.  That optic and that buttplate cant isn't gonna do anything for you for the accuracy of your 13.5" .308AR.  :thumbup:

I spent a good amount of time sourcing premium parts, and then correctly assembling them and coupled with 175gr .308 rounds from Eagle Eye Precision, I was posting 10 shot groups at 100 yds averaging 1.25MOA. Out of the Armalite 13.5" barrel, I was getting on average 2500 f/s with an SD of 10.8. My AB calculator is telling me my rounds will go tran-sonic at 1040 yds and my come-up for 1k is 10 Mils. I absolutely need the magnification, the fitted stock and "all that" because I was engaging steel out to 915 yds (I managed 3/6 hits- wind was challenging up at Bloody Basin). Now, it looks like you've assembled a blaster, which is cool too, but I went the precision route for my 13.5", and so far it is working extremely well! When I go out again, I will try and get some pictures of the Labradar and groups so you guys know I'm not full of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Johnny, you're building a .308AR with a 13.5" barrel.  You're putting on a NightForce 3.5-15x50 scope that is 14.7" long.  You'll also run the PVS-22 which is 7.08" long... 

That's 21.78" of optics on a rifle that's got a 13.5" barrel...  .308AR upper receiver length is about 8.5", lose some barrel length due to overlap of the barrel mating, but you're still at 22" of upper receiver, total, before that overlap.  The optic will need to be about flush with the end of the upper receiver to get proper eye relief...

How are you gonna pull this off?...  And why?...

Because I'm a sucker for shorties with big scopes? :banana:

20180816_213055.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I've got a short "precision rifle" too - a 12.5" Grendel that puts it exactly where you want it at 845 yards.  It was 10.6 mils at that distance, with a Leupold Mk AR Mod 1 scope, 1.5-4x.   4x max zoom on those shots.

It doesn't have any cant to the buttstock, and I still pulled it off?...  So did someone else here, same gun, same day, same target at 845 yards...

I have one gun with a canted-ability buttstock - and the others don't have it. They still make long shots.  It's not necessary, but it you want to spend that money, then do it. That link you posted doesn't even include the B5, so add another chunk of money to what you linked.

You can talk all you want - it looks like you're trying to drum up business for yourself.  That's all.

How you gonna fit that much optic on your 13.5" gun, again?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U mad bro?? Haha we can keep talking poop or we can get together and go smack some steel sometime. I DEFINITELY want to see a 12.5" grendel!! Bet that sucker barks something fierce. And yeah, if I can drum up some business for myself that would be cool too! (ie starving gunsmith). BUT, I started this thread to get ahold of damn overpriced stock adapter that I can't find, and which I will probably end up selling it to the next guy for him to make up his own mind about it as well. Hugs and kisses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JohnnyBfromAZ said:

U mad bro??

Not even a little bit, man.  Not in the least.  :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JohnnyBfromAZ said:

 I DEFINITELY want to see a 12.5" grendel!! Bet that sucker barks something fierce.

Not really - it's surprising.  Just a 30-cal A2 on it.  You don't eat that concussion, as the shooter, it's mild.  Noticed the same thing on a 5.56 11.5" pistol build, with a regular A2.  No different than anything else, and you're not eating concussion.  So, based on that 11.5", I put an A2 on a 7.5" 5.56 pistol - THAT SUCKED.  The concussion rattled your teeth.  I didn't get through a full mag or even get the irons zeroed, and took it home.  First thing I did when I got home was order a KX-3 for it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2018 at 9:44 PM, JohnnyBfromAZ said:

 Haha we can keep talking poop or we can get together and go smack some steel sometime.

You have the chance - come to the Fall Shoot. It's local, for you.    :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×