• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Member, New Build

mechanic

As the title states, new member & new build. 1st build as well.

Currently acquired:

Aero M5 Freedom upper/lower
Aero LPK
Aero M5 Buffer Kit
Magpul Fixed MOE Carbine
Magpul MIAD Grip
Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch
Radian Talon ambi safety

Still deciding on which Geissele trigger to round out the lower.

I would appreciate any recommendations, insight and/or warnings for the upper.

Thanks!

Welcome from San Diego.

What length are you planning?  Primary use?

Almost any trigger you go with will be good, but the reason they have choices depends on how you plan to use it. A lot of guys here seem pretty happy with the Larue trigger and it's a great price. Worth taking a look at. I've had Geisele SSA-E and a DMR. Both are in AR-15's, but I'm really happy with either. One is on a 14.5" gun and the other on a 24" bull. 

6 hours ago, mechanic said:

Currently acquired:

Aero M5 Freedom upper/lower  Bitchin' Upper and lower.  Very nice.
Aero LPK  Smart move.  You'll need those parts.
Aero M5 Buffer Kit  Shiit-can it as soon as you can, and sell it to someone.  Buy an Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, either in pieces, or complete.  Save yourself the headaches of recoil system problems.  You don't have to take my word - just research here and you'll see.
Magpul Fixed MOE Carbine  Love those things.
Magpul MIAD Grip
Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch  That's an AR15-ONLY part, and it's not gonna work at all in your Large-Frame AR.  It won't even work.  Save it for a later AR15 project.  Or install it and try it- when it doesn't work, come back and report what happens.
Radian Talon ambi safety

Still deciding on which Geissele trigger to round out the lower.  All the "Hi-Speed" triggers now ship with all spring kits. "National Match" springs, "DMR" springs, and "Service Rifle" springs.  You get all three spring kits when you order the Geissele Hi-Speed Trigger.  You have to set this trigger up, and adjust it to make it run.  It's not like the old days, when you ordered one of the three, and it was set up already.  If you go this route, follow the set up instructions to the letter.  It's a badass trigger. 

So is the SSA (4.5lb combined pull) and the SSA-E (3.5lb combined pull).  For a precision-type rifle, stay with a 2-stage trigger - it'll benefit you.  Single-stage triggers give up something in the precision role.  They're not bad - they're just not as good as a good 2-stage.  ON that note, don't overlook the LaRue MBT2S.  It's a 4.5lb combined pull, and it's $87 until this Christmas...

I would appreciate any recommendations, insight and/or warnings for the upper.

Thanks!

My comments are posted in red, above.  Welcome aboard.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

14 hours ago, DNP said:

What length are you planning?  Primary use?

Almost any trigger you go with will be good, but the reason they have choices depends on how you plan to use it. A lot of guys here seem pretty happy with the Larue trigger and it's a great price. Worth taking a look at. I've had Geisele SSA-E and a DMR. Both are in AR-15's, but I'm really happy with either. One is on a 14.5" gun and the other on a 24" bull. 

General thought at the moment is a 16" or 18" barrel length. Primary use is a range gun and the longest range that I have access to is 200yd. Overall, I want a build that is reliable and accurate beyond that without over-thinking it or breaking the bank. I am of the "buy once, cry once" when it comes to certain things though.

I just installed the SSA on my DDM4. Great upgrade, so I was leaning toward the SSA-E as I like 2 stage and feel non adjustable may be more suitable to my needs.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

My comments are postedin red, below.  Welcome aboard.  :thumbup:

Thanks, my responses are in blue

Aero M5 Freedom upper/lower  Bitchin' Upper and lower.  Very nice.
 Thanks, it is what triggered the build
Aero LPK  Smart move.  You'll need those parts.
I read some parts (like take down pins) were, if not proprietary, just not a standard size 
Aero M5 Buffer Kit  Shiit-can it as soon as you can, and sell it to someone.  Buy an Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, either in pieces, or complete.  Save yourself the headaches of recoil system problems.  You don't have to take my word - just research here and you'll see.
Also read stick with manufacture parts if in doubt. I could find little info in regards to M5 fitment from other manufactures. This illustrates why I decided to post. Thanks, I'll be looking into that!
Magpul Fixed MOE Carbine  Love those things.
In a restricted state, its just easier to go fixed. LOP should be fine. Looks are cool, but I had to talk myself out of an ACE

Magpul MIAD Grip
Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch  That's an AR15-ONLY part, and it's not gonna work at all in your Large-Frame AR.  It won't even work.  Save it for a later AR15 project.  Or install it and try it- when it doesn't work, come back and report what happens.
I ordered it for my DDM4 and thought I would wait to see if it would fit this build. Again, thanks!

Radian Talon ambi safety

Still deciding on which Geissele trigger to round out the lower.  All the "Hi-Speed" triggers now ship with all spring kits. "National Match" springs, "DMR" springs, and "Service Rifle" springs.  You get all three spring kits when you order the Geissele Hi-Speed Trigger.  You have to set this trigger up, and adjust it to make it run.  It's not like the old days, when you ordered one of the three, and it was set up already.  If you go this route, follow the set up instructions to the letter.  It's a badass trigger. 

So is the SSA (4.5lb combined pull) and the SSA-E (3.5lb combined pull).  For a precision-type rifle, stay with a 2-stage trigger - it'll benefit you.  Single-stage triggers give up something in the precision role.  They're not bad - they're just not as good as a good 2-stage.  ON that note, don't overlook the LaRue MBT2S.  It's a 4.5lb combined pull, and it's $87 until this Christmas...

As stated above, I just went from a mil-spec to a SSA in my DDM4. Hands down an improvement. Since this would be more of a precision build I was thinking a lighter SSA-E. If the adjustments on the other triggers are just a matter of swapping springs, then I have something more to think about.

Edited by mechanic

Just to update, and thank 98Z5V for the insight and direction. I now have a buffer tube to repurpose as a billy club once the magpul tube, h3 buffer and ea1095 spring arrive. I rounded the lower out with the mbt2s. Sub $100 to the door was too hard to ignore considering the reviews. I’ll update with photos once I get rolling. Thanks again

13 hours ago, mechanic said:

Got the lower together, and caught a very good deal on a complete upper this weekend. Funny how things just come together....

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

Awesome,man - I pulled that set by accident for my .260 build.  Gun Pusher already had a set for me to get, then that Flag set came out - he couldn't contain himself, so he bought two sets of it - one for me and one for him...   :laffs:

His turned into a 6.5 Creedmoor last Friday night, and we got it dialed in to 500 yards last Sunday.  I'm gonna kick his own a$s with my .260...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, washguy said:

Welcome aboard!    I saw a velocity email/sale that had em for 117 bills....now that a damn nice trigger for not too much money     Wash

Thanks. I should have the MBT2 early next week. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Primary Arms has some excellent options in 1~6, calibrated for 308.  Very durable, very good glass, won't break the bank.

That gas tube pic looks perfect.  :thumbup:

I'll look into those. I was going to keep an eye out for a VX-2 1x4 in the meantime.

I'm going to go over the lower again when I install the trigger as I want to lube and aeroshell a couple things.

Was researching break in and came across this from BA:

The following break in procedure is based on experience and should be considered only as a guide. Results may vary based on a number of different variables. Some of these variables might require more or less cycles. Initially, you should perform the one shot and clean for five shots. Try this and observe if the amount of fouling reduces between cleanings. If it does not, continue with your one shot procedure until foiling is perceived to be reduced. At this point begin a 3 shot then clean procedure. Again take note of the amount of fouling and when it has reduced, then it is time to move up to 5 shots then clean. Do not be alarmed if your seating depth gets longer during this break in period. Typically the throat will grow .005 – .01 of an inch during break in.

Typical break in cycles:

Stainless Steel

• 5-10 one shot cycles
  • 1 three shot cycle
  • 1 five shot cycle

Chrome Molly

• 5-25 one shot cycles
  • 2 three shot cycles
  • 1 five shot cycle

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated. I also got some 0W-20 for the BCG to soak in for the time being.

13 hours ago, mechanic said:

I'll look into those.

I've got two of those PA 1~6 scopes (different versions due to different reticles), and they're excellent at twice the price. I have several of the 4~14 scopes as well, in the 308 BDC/ranging reticle, two 4~14s in mil-dot (the 18" Grendels got those two), and installed a 4~14 in MOA for @Matt.Cross on a Grendel Mk12 Mod 1 build.  I've got a really big handful of the PA red dots, too, on all kinds of things.  My proudest accomplishment is not killing the PA red dot that I put on the 45/70 lever gun - it's still alive, and the round count is approaching something like 800 rounds.  That was mounted up at the end of 2014-ish...

I've been nothing but impressed with their quality, and I've never had to test out their warranty or guarantee.  PA makes some good scopes.  The 3~18 is on my short list, next.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...

Mounted up a spare scope and put a handful of rounds down range to give it a basic check. Once the primary glass arrives I'll be getting outdoors to zero. The only issue worth noting is the dent on the neck of the case. Ejection pattern seemed ok from what I can tell.

thumbnail_IMG_0852.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0857.jpg