• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Builder's sets

Slugger

Question about the builder sets I see from AP and Mega. Are these actually "matched sets" as in matched up for a tight fit between the upper/lower? Or are they just a standard upper/lower sold bundled together as a set? Would you expect a tight fit between any upper/lower from the same manufacturer?

I have two Aero matched sets, brother - one is the American Sniper's Organization set.  The other is the July 4th Freedom Set.  They're perfect.

I also have another Aero set, and it's not a "matched" set.  I honestly can't tell the difference between it's fitment, and the fitment of the two matched sets.  The Aero stuff is very good. 

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ap/aso-m5-limited-edition/

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-receiver-set-freedom-anodized.html

13 hours ago, Slugger said:

Availability for the one I'm hunting for doesn't look too good. AP FDE Freedom Mlok 15" M5E1 builder set seems to be long gone or my search foo is weak. I think this may have been a one time production run? Anyone have a line on this set?

You can look into the AP ad on that set, and see which painter they had do it up - they'll duplicate it for you again, I'm sure, as a custom paintjob.  :thumbup:

EDIT - Nevermind - not a custom=painted set, just FDE...   D'oh!!!

These guys have it in black annodized -you could always get it Cerakoted FDE...

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/labor-day-sale/ar-10-builder-sets-993/aero-precision-m5-builder-set-w-15-m-lok-handguard-anodized-black-9938651

That's exactly what I snatched up for my .260 Rem build.   Gonna get a wicked dirt-colored paintjob, by me!...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, 98Z5V said:

Tom, where was this information 2 years ago for me? lol. I have not even come close in finding cost this low! You just wanted to make sure you finished your .260 first. 

6 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Tom, where was this information 2 years ago for me? lol. I have not even come close in finding cost this low! You just wanted to make sure you finished your .260 first. 

:laffs:I never pay attention to the commercial sites, brother, because I do side-pimp work for my gun pusher...  Dude gave me a FREE Aero FDE Ambi lower for work I did on his Yamaha...  I did the 4473 and waited for the receipt - and it said $0...  I said, "You can't do that, man!"  He said, "It's already closed out."   :lmao:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if the cerakoted models are anodized underneath or just "in the white". I got this word back from AP customer service, looks like I may get another chance coming up soon. Again with the patience crap . . . . yer killin me smalls! 

Good Morning, Thank you for reaching out to us. The freedom lowers are not a limited run item but they are seasonal. They are normally released around the 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Veteran's Day. They should be back. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

I've got one factory AP FDE lower - the rest I've done myself. I haven't been able to wear anything away, to determine if they coated in the white, or if it was annodized underneath.  If I beat it up, and can determine, I'll post up in here. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I did end up with my "freedom" lower in the builder set I ended up with, but I think you were right on the "what's out there is out there" statement. AP told me they were producing more of these on Veteran's day but I've yet to see them mentioned? Glad I ended up with one.

I've got her built except for some glass. Want to get that and do the sight in / bore break in at the same time. I'm looking hard at the PA 3-18X50 ACSS HUD. Has anyone used the Aero Precision ultra light SPR scope mounts? I've read they tweek some while mounting?

Over all I'm impressed with the weight of this thing. I was expecting it to be a bear. I'm almost not believing my numbers. Looks like with this scope and mount I should be under 9lbs. Also may play around with a 2A X3 comp I bought for a 300 BA build.

The upper 3lb 8.4oz:  16" Criterion hybrid, SLR sentry7, CMB-Q6, AP M5E1+15" Mlok, Toolcraft bcg, MADefense Sniper CH.

Lower 3lb 0.01oz:  AP M5, AP lpk, Pmag 20, MBT2S, Magpul K2+CTR, Armalite recoil group.

Hoping she runs well without too much teething pain.