• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone ditch an AR-15 after picking up your AR-10?

Boondoggle

Believe or not my goal was to reduce the number of cartridges and if possible the number of rifles. I had 300BLK and 6.5 grendel but once I got bolt gun fever I went back to .223/5.56. I looked at the big bores for a bit since I try to get to FL a couple times a year for hog hunting but  where we hunt the palmettos are so thick getting off more than two good  shots is tough. 

I do have intrest in 7.62X39. If I add a caliber that would be it but even with several lowers already in the safe I can't decide between AR or AK pattern.  I've talked to a couple of folks that say the mags for the x39 for the AR have gotten a lot better and if that's the case that would help make up my mind. 

C-Products Defense and D&H mags are specifically designed for the x39. I have a truck ton of ASC mags that run as well, but most of them are still in their packages. I primarily run D&H mags. 

I would have a 5.7x28 rifle, but only if I could build one... I don’t want to just slap on an upper. I’d like to build up a DI version and run it off FN Five-Seven mags. I got a chance to shoot EyeDoc’s AR-57 and was impressed. It definitely fits the part of a high capacity yet low profile rifle system.

An AR-57  short barrel upper, would be awesome on a pistol lower receiver that is chopped/designed to use AK mags. Super low profile. Maybe even get silly, and add a FAB defense folding pistol grip.  That would be one hell of a truck gun.  Screw putting optics on it.  I would go super low profile again, and find some HK MP7 or CZ Scorpion sights. 

I agree with Tom. I would pack absolutely everything I had… To start. Realistically though, if you don’t have a 12ga, a 5.56 rifle and a 9mm pistol,  you will not be prepared when your surplus runs out. I love all my 308, but I know that 223 ammo will be on the cost ratio of 10:1 to 308 ammo. 12 gauge, 9mm, 45acp, .223 and 762x39 are the default cartridges of the apocalypse. 

4 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Believe or not my goal was to reduce the number of cartridges and if possible the number of rifles. I had 300BLK and 6.5 grendel but once I got bolt gun fever I went back to .223/5.56. I looked at the big bores for a bit since I try to get to FL a couple times a year for hog hunting but  where we hunt the palmettos are so thick getting off more than two good  shots is tough. 

I do have intrest in 7.62X39. If I add a caliber that would be it but even with several lowers already in the safe I can't decide between AR or AK pattern.  I've talked to a couple of folks that say the mags for the x39 for the AR have gotten a lot better and if that's the case that would help make up my mind. 

You can have the best of both worlds 

F2D6316F-F45B-4DE2-9F0C-BBA1586E53DF.jpeg

B8643419-3BB9-4544-A217-70D531B39F16.jpeg

4 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

I agree with Tom. I would pack absolutely everything I had… To start. Realistically though, if you don’t have a 12ga, a 5.56 rifle and a 9mm pistol,  you will not be prepared when your surplus runs out. I love all my 308, but I know that 223 ammo will be on the cost ratio of 10:1 to 308 ammo. 12 gauge, 9mm, 45acp, .223 and 762x39 are the default cartridges of the apocalypse. 

On that, and a good point to make here - when everything went crazy after December 2012, ammo on shelves dried up.  The only things you could find were 30-06 and 20 Gauge.  If you don't own those two platforms, you should consider it, just based on ammo availability when things get tough - that was one of the toughest ammo situations I've ever lived through on this rock. 

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

On that, and a good point to make here - when everything went crazy after December 2012, ammo on shelves dried up.  The only things you could find were 30-06 and 20 Gauge.  If you don't own those two platforms, you should consider it, just based on ammo availability when things get tough - that was one of the toughest ammo situations I've ever lived through on this rock. 

30-06 bolt is my next purchase, partly for that reason and partly I love hunting with it 

speed goats next fall in WY 

41 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Here it was .270 and .243

I’m fortunate to have a VERY extensive bolt and lever rifle collection. I will always be able to find SOMETHING I can use, assuming I have access to my collection. 

I have come to love the 300blk more than my .223. but even though I think .300blk can do basically anything 5.56/.223 can (except shoot as flat past 300), these rounds are still very useful and plentiful. So long as they are in use like they are in military and police agencies, there will always be a benefit to having them. and besides the .300blk you got the 6.5 Grendel that is better at longer ranges, but doesn't hold as many in the mag, not as easy to find stuff for reloading, and no subsonic rounds like 300 blk.

Then you have your .308ar rifles. just like with .223, .308 is very common and easily found, but so much more powerful that you can take elk with it. yet it is more expensive to shoot than .223 and has a lot more recoil, not to mention it comes in a heavier package. Then you have 6.5cm and .260 rem, both very similar. flatter shooting and less recoil than .308 with better bc bullets that allow it to hold energy and buck the wind at greater distances. 6.5cm is getting pretty easy to come by (not even close to .308 though) and .260 uses .308 brass and other cases that come from the .308 parent case.

I could go on and on with many more calibers and how they compare, but the point is, there is not 1 or 2 rifles that can truly cover everything. might be a few that could come close. And then you have what was said about short barrels, long barrels, etc. different setups are valuable in different areas. The question comes down to, are you going to use it and do you see the value of owning it because they value is there and they have their uses. Also having multiples can be good for when you are shooting with family or friends. just like how you said one ar15 is yours and one is your wife's. 

I think there is always a point in having more guns just as long as it doesn't end up a neglected gun. ?

On my failed heli hog trip this last year...my buddy has almost every caliber I have...and he never shoots hogs with anything else but his ar 762x39....we built these in 1993 and neither one of us have ever had trouble with mags....back then all you could get was the colt ar762x39 sporter....I havnt shot mine in years ,but he slays those hogs with his...as for as the 223/556 rifles mine havnt seen daylight in years.....ive said this before...once a year I open the 556/223 ammo boxes with the lake city rounds...and sniff the sweet nitro fumes coming out of the cans when I pop the lids....makes your eyes water.....wonder if the stash is prone to self detonation? :laffs:  Wash

i put together a 556 pistol just to get me interested in the round again. before i shelf it again for the builds in progress.  money well saved on ammo and parts. i hit steel at 150 yds but will hone it in tomorrow and try the vets new 10mm pistol! that will kick ass! 

I would actually sell a few of my AR15's just to buy more .308 AR's parts to assemble more rifles, but it's such a buyers market now, there's no way I could recover even 80 percent of the value of mine. When you can buy a bargain AR15 for $400.00, it's hard to get $1000.00 for my Spike's with Noveske barrel or my Rock River lowers with White Oak uppers. I have some good all Rock Rivers too, but when a local gun shop has the bargain DPMS AR15 carbine for $399.00, the average Joe is going to go with the less expensive every time.

I love hammering steel with my .308's, here's a picture of me shooting my DPMS G2 Varmint slinged up, shooting from 300 to 500. I can hear the hits very well at 500 with the .308, barely at all with the 5.56.

IMG_3032.JPG