• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finally got to the range with 1st AR-10

Boondoggle

"You do realize why I'm pointing this out, right?  You keep calling everything "AR-10" when it's not AR-10.  There are distinct differences." 

Yes, I educated myself when I built these guns and quickly found out that the "variants" are similar but many parts do not interchange between them, which include uppers/lowers, assembly pins, etc.  Sorry that I "grouped" the 308's that I have into a single category,  my intentions were not meant to confuse anyone. 

Just wanted to point out that my PSA 308 shoots very well with zero function issues to date, despite rumors to the contrary, and that I'm glad that the OP is pretty happy with his PSA 308 as well........Cliff

PS:  found a pic on my phone from an outing with the DPMS and PSA 308.  5 shots in each group, the PSA has 4 well under 1" with one flier.

IMG_2346.JPG

15 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Just wanted to point out that my PSA 308 shoots very well with zero function issues to date, despite rumors to the contrary,

Oh, make no mistake - it's not "rumors" about poorly functioning PSAs, not in the least.  Just because your PSA runs, don't make the assumption they all of them run, because a large portion of the problems that PSA has been having with this platform has been seen right here on this board. 

Thanks for the heads-up.

For the most part I'm not one to make assumptions about anything.  I'm a pretty meticulous person, tend to set pretty high standards for many things, and demand that the weapons that I own and count on for self defense and hunting run flawlessly.  

The Internet and Forums for various topics help to some extent and can be a great resource, but one has to remember that with many topics the folks putting up the information will have limited skills and experience.  The websites are also riddled with "trolls" who have little to any direct experience at all with any topics but "google" up and regurgitate information based on typewriter research and not direct testing.  There are also a percentage of folks dabbling with certain things who need to put them down, walk away and get back to their day job. 

So basically feedback with many topics is not entirely accurate.  Still plenty of good info out there to help folks go in one direction or the other, or back pocket the info to see if it applies to what they are doing, etc.......FWIW......Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get my PA10 gen 2 running perfectly with the help of folks here. I built mine up from parts however, so I was faced with knowing the PA10 gen2 was a completely proprietary weapon, and to make matters more challenging, PSA sells all the parts on their website, but they have zero information or guide to help someone piece it all together. To add insult to injury, they have parts on their website which are clearly labeled PA10, but it's not apparent if they were originally meant for gen1 or gen2, adding to the confusion. Their solution to the lower parts kit is a standard ar15 lower parts kit, along with a handful of components specific to the PA10, or a PA10 lower parts kit which is 4 pieces, then you still needed to order an ar15 lower parts kit as well. Next up is the whole buffer tube / spring / buffer conundrum, full complete rifles from them coming with incorrect buffer parts leading to the action not cycling properly, bolt carrier making destructive contact with the rear of the receiver,  it was quite a mess to navigate through.

After getting mine together and working properly, it really is a fantastic gun for the money invested. It's a shame that it isn't a straight up flawless runner out of the box for a good percentage of buyers. There is a lot of potential in it, but like others have pointed out, it's a mixed bag as of right now. You could be good to go, or not. If you feel confident in being able to sort it out, it's a great deal of gun for the little money invested.

Actually had mine out for the second time today. I ran the last 10 Federal Fusion MSR 150s through it. 20 PPU match 175gr and 20 PPU 150gr soft points. Zero issues and zero malfunctions. I did email PSA regarding running soft points through it. I understand the potential issues but haven't seen any of them. That may change as it breaks in so I thought I'd ask them. 

When I asked PSA about barrel break in and hand loads they gave me the "we recommend only factory ammunition for our rifles" response. So, I'm assuming maybe if they seen some issues with soft points they'll give me the same response. 

one note on the PSA stainless barrels that have become common the past few years. Both my ar15 and PA10 have the stainless barrels. Both of them shoot horrifically bad groups with factory ammo, but both also shoot incredibly well with my loads made specifically for them. I find they both really shoot best with heavier bullets. 62  or 77 grain on the ar15, and 168 grain on the PA10....
The ar15 is a 1:8 twist, and the pa10 is 1:10 twist

That characteristic of the PSA stainless barrels may be the root cause of the poor accuracy claims. For a person who loads their own ammo it's not a problem at all. If your a store ammo only person it's something to consider.