• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Xanthos build \m/

Boot_Scraper

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BCG showed up too! That was quick. It's like it was made for this upper/lower. Looks flawless. One thing I did notice is that the bolt slides in and out of the carrier just with its own weight. The guy who builds em says he uses a one piece, low retention gas ring. I don't have any experience with such sorcery so, is that normal, good, bad? Other than that, I approve this message. 

20181018_183133.jpg

20181018_183143.jpg

20181018_183125.jpg

20181018_184303.jpg

Edited by Boot_Scraper

Progress report: 

All parts came in minus hand guard. I'm digging it so far. One thing that kinda put me off is the upper/lower fit is not as snug as I'd hoped for. Almost makes me wish I'da gone with the Ascend Armory. Gotta watch those grams though. I can live with it. In the meantime, I'll be running my barrel and bolt to my gunsmith to check the HS. Btw, that speed safety is the cat's azz.

20181025_210631.thumb.jpg.e603505bbc113da36e3d0e1bb989bdbf.jpg

20181025_205414.thumb.jpg.64683c3f7a3b48525b859037bab400ad.jpg

14 minutes ago, washguy said:

Boot.. send that high dollar crap back...theres no excuse for this ....Wash..... 

If they give you static...tell em we are coming over to em and shove an acu- wedge up their keister

My fuqin luck. 

You're right Wash. One part of me thinks I'm being hyper critical but, the other part of me thinks I spent a good pile of clams on this and it should be flawless. I'll put the ball in 2A's court. From what I've seen, they should make it good. Fingers crossed.

Boot, I own a gun mfg company. A lower and upper SHOULD be mated  before the takedown/pivot pins are drilled. Then the pin holes are drilled with the parts together. This guarantees a mated set. This is how I do all my rifles. 

If you don’t want to hassle with it, you can buy that cheap rubber plug to install. It works well enough. 

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

Boot, I own a gun mfg company. A lower and upper SHOULD be mated  before the takedown/pivot pins are drilled. Then the pin holes are drilled with the parts together. This guarantees a mated set. This is how I do all my rifles. 

If you don’t want to hassle with it, you can buy that cheap rubber plug to install. It works well enough. 

Thank you for the insight Robocop!

I got too much tied up in this to halfass it. The Xanthos set does include a tensioning screw at the rear take down boss but it will not do anything for the axial slop up front. I sent an email to 2A. We'll see.

I'm kinda bummed out. If i wanted an expensive 308AR with a wiggle, I'da just had my PA10 dipped in gold. 

Just a bit of warning, so if the news is bad, it doesn’t completely crush you. They might not make match receiver sets. If that is the case, there are things we can do to tighten up your receiver, if that’s a process that you want to go through. 

When I make a receiver set, the two are machined together. That set is never separated after machining. I later install four rubber bumpers in the corners of the receivers to further secure the set so there is absolutely no chance of wobble.

39 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Just a bit of warning, so if the news is bad, it doesn’t completely crush you. They might not make match receiver sets. If that is the case, there are things we can do to tighten up your receiver, if that’s a process that you want to go through. 

When I make a receiver set, the two are machined together. That set is never separated after machining. I later install four rubber bumpers in the corners of the receivers to further secure the set so there is absolutely no chance of wobble.

That's brilliant! I use the oring trick on my 556's. We use a badass sealant at work called pro-seal. It dries into a hard rubber. Thought about filling the corners with that, but dang it, I shouldn't have to. Waiting to hear back from 2a. All in all, it's still a nice set. 

26 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

This is how I cut my uppers and lowers...

Two holes in the lower receiver, just above the takedown pin.

CBC6443E-3337-4398-9A26-FA39AF1FD0FC.jpeg

two more ore holes in the upper, adjacent to the pivot pin...

4786347E-AAC5-46D5-8596-D75A5758805F.jpeg

then i I install these little bastards, that crush to shape. 

3BF33A9E-DF47-4D6C-9ED6-05B76F8670A7.jpeg

polar caps will melt before my upper wobbles!

SLICK! :hail:

29 minutes ago, washguy said:

Boot   Do not take any BS from them.....you didn't pay for a 49 bill lower and 59 bill upper....well hell  You know what to do !   They will make it right...:bat:    Wash

I hear ya Wash. Tried calling a couple times and sent an email this am. Crickets so far. I'm keeping the faith though. 

Did a mock up this am. I'm pretty happy so far. The handguard I ordered is on back order so I wait. I'll probably order a titanium adjustable gas block to knock a couple more ounces. So here we are. 5 pounds, 8 ounces and change. Handguard I choose, with barrel nut, is about 5.25 ounces. Empty gun should come in sub 6 lbs, about 2 lbs lighter than my PA10 I hunt with. That's also about 1lb lighter than the G2 I initially wanted to buy. Win win. 

20181027_092135.thumb.jpg.d34634e9595bd44aecaee88ccd5eb71d.jpg