• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Xanthos build \m/

Boot_Scraper

On 12/15/2018 at 3:49 PM, 98Z5V said:

How the hell do you shoot this from an AR15 with a .308-based case? It's like a 300BLK on steroids... I'm interested...   :banana:

There is a really hot shot .224 round too, maybe using the same barrel extension and bolt. They use 6.5x47 cases, pretty much 220 swift velocities IMHO, 4000 fps with a 55 grain bullet.  But finding a bolt and extension is not a simple process apparently. Folks make them for folks who use them, not so much for sale to the man on the street.

https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/22-hellcat-intro-7559951?pid=1289516649

Rather than head to heavy bullets for a high the focus is on the shorter and lighter .224 pills at more like 4000 fps.

Bill

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, washguy said:

Today was my turn in the barrel...surgery went fine....but ran into a lol problem

Doc sez maybe only another half gallon of pus to drain then i can lay down...Wash

That's pretty cool, you can make your own apple juice!

Glad it went well. Hope y'all both heal up good!

I think I found a use for this......spilled some on the floor and it took the varnish off....hold on...ive got a barrel nut stuck on an upper lemme go try and see if this crap loosens it up   :lmao:   Wash.........hey yall don't fall for that $hit where they tell you in MOHS surgery....why don't you just skip the MOHS and let me just go ahead and cut off what I think needs to be removed....it will save you an hour of waiting around...Sure Doc im all for that....the bit off skin was only .125 wide and .200 long....how did I get this whackaMO  slice? FUK Me   lol

:laffs:

• 3 weeks later...

Currently on the fence about cerakoting this thing. It would be in Tungsten. Upper/lower/barrel/buffer tube/scope mount. I've painted a few vehicles, a Peterbuilt, and a bunch of aircraft parts so I ain't really worried about the process. Got all the equipment already too. Any of ya'll have any input on cerakote? 

39 minutes ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Currently on the fence about cerakoting this thing. It would be in Tungsten. Upper/lower/barrel/buffer tube/scope mount. I've painted a few vehicles, a Peterbuilt, and a bunch of aircraft parts so I ain't really worried about the process. Got all the equipment already too. Any of ya'll have any input on cerakote? 

@98Z5V

3 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

. Any of ya'll have any input on cerakote? 

Never applied it myself but have had several rifles done. My guy does not recommend barrels, said he would need to use the air dry type to have it tolerate the heat and it isn’t as tough as the bake on stuff.

I have been amazed at how durable it has been for me. 

• 1 month later...
  •  
    20190210_185416.thumb.jpg.18a782baf56aad162833d67993c54242.jpg

The Xanthos got some new glass, mount, and dust cover. The VX-R is a little heavier, as is the Accu-sync mount. Total weight with optics and empty mag is 7.2 lbs. I love this rifle. 'MERCIA!

daaaamn Boot   get rid of that heavy azz pig.....heres my address ill pay for shipping?   :laffs: Wash

Edited by washguy

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 6:05 AM, Boot_Scraper said:

I don't know how I missed this one, man...  Doc even pointed it out, too...

Cerakote is easy to do, keep the pressure at about 20~25psi, keep your distance from the part, and prep, prep, prep the part.  Pay attention to the Cerakote User's Manual where they tell you about gassing out the parts.  That's the most important part. I soak my parts in Acetone for an hour, then gas them - if they come out of that fine, I paint them. I used to sandblast everything down to bare aluminum, but found that much prep is unnecessary.  Now, I scuff the parts with an abrasive pad, Acetone them, gas them out, paint them.  Works great.

Edited by 98Z5V