• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel bedding

Boot_Scraper

Loc-Tite 609 is what you're after, for this task.  That's the one.  It's description makes perfect sense, too. On the Grendel Forum, they advocate it on every barrel installation, as well as truing the upper receiver face.

I've never done it, on any of them. Don't know if my accuracy would increase or not, but it's never been an issue, so I just haven't invested in the 609 or the receiver lapping tools.

I used low grade loctight. a light coating on the inside of the upper mating surface and light coating on the barrel extension. Insert, wipe of any that oozes out and apply torque, remember to wipe out inside of the upper as well.

The reasoning I did it, is the same reason is why we glass bed bolt action rifles. We want zero zero tolerance fit, but not a press fit. Although the barrel nut tightens shoulder to the face of the upper, it doesn't remove the slip fit into the upper. The loctight fills the void and makes it solid fit. No chance of any movement at all.

Yeah taken it apart later on can be a pain but a little heat does the trick

DO NOT USE HIGH STRENGTH LOCTIGHT   that requires near blow torch temps like red HOT glow to melt that high stength loctight.  You only use that RED stuff on someones rifle that you don't like and will never see again. JUST KIDDING>

5 hours ago, HotRod308 said:

You must use full strength Acetone then.  I always grabbed my wife's finger nail polish remover as it had acetone 10% by volume.

Ah yes, straight Acetone. Most nail polish removers nowadays don't contain any acetone or very little. like you say, 10%.

It also takes time to wick into the threads and soften up the loctite and it evaporates very quickly so you have to keep applying it. but it is the best alternative to heat that I have found.

^^^   Loc-Tite 609...   :thumbup:

I need to buy some 5.56 and .308 lapping tools, and run before and after tests on some guns.   I've never been unhappy with my accuracy, without doing any of this.  But I need to try one (really accurate gun) and see what it does for it.  I'm thinking the Mk12 Mod 1 5.56 gun.

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^   Loc-Tite 609...   :thumbup:

I need to buy some 5.56 and .308 lapping tools, and run before and after tests on some guns.   I've never been unhappy with my accuracy, without doing any of this.  But I need to try one (really accurate gun) and see what it does for it.  I'm thinking the Mk12 Mod 1 5.56 gun.

You'll know if it will make a difference in the first minute. I have had some that showed a very even face from the start, doubt they got anything from it. Others, like two DPMS uppers, were way out of whack, took forever to even get shine all the way around the extension face.

Its just one item to do out of a list of things to do to get all the accuracy possible out either platform regardless of caliber being fired. Quality of barrel, match grade bullets and components, A BCG that unlocks cleanly and consistently each time and well lubricated. Tight fitting upper to lower fit., nice crisp trigger, excellent scope.

But just adding loctight without half of the other stuff or none of it, might not see any difference at all.

I would be curious if others would rate what items would give bigger improvement over others. Adding loctight is like following a procedure, it just makes sense to me, is it measurable, good question.

The Barrel & Upper Receiver are really the Heart of the Rifles potential accuracy , they have to be as one for consistency & yes there are a list of things or components /parts that have to come together for superior accuracy , but it really boils down to the nut behind the Trigger, if all else is up to the task .

9 hours ago, Alan Waters said:

I have used both 620 and 680 to secure compensators to 38 Supers and .45's  You have to bake the barrel at about 500f to break it down. Even then its a job for a wrench and barrel vise to unscrew.

For securing anything to the end of a barrel, the best there is, is Rock-Sett.  Withstands 2k degrees, you can break it down with water.  It started in the firearms industry, through AAC, for securing supressor-host muzzle devices.  AAC would include a very small applicator tube of it with every muzzle device they sold.  Once they started doing that, the rest of the firearms industry started paying attention.

Kevin Brittingham is a genius.  Still is, always will be.  :thumbup:

• 3 months later...