• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul Bipod In Hand Review

jtallen83

True to his word my local gun pusher saved me one of the few Magpul bipods he was able to get. I have not put in the field yet but just fumbling around with it I am impressed with the features for the money. In comparing to my Atlas it lacks in number of leg positions with only 90 degrees available while the Atlas will do 45 degrees in either direction. The Atlas has a little less wiggle in it but not a great deal of difference and not one I think will matter. It uses the same feet as my Atlas but requires a roll pin to be driven out instead of a steel plunger so no quick changing of feet in the field. The biggest plus I see is the Magpul beats the Atlas on pan and tilt, Atlas V8 has 15+/- degrees of pan and tilt while the Magpul has 25 +/- degrees tilt and 20+/- degrees pan. The tension for pan and tilt is easily adjusted and seems very stout. I also prefer the leg deployment on the Magpul, it just flips down while with the Atlas you have to depress the plunger for any movement. Height adjustment on the legs is positive and firm, I think I prefer the button activation over the pull the collar on the Atlas, seems more ergonomic, easier to accomplish with one hand. Considering I could buy nearly 3 of the Magpul's for one Atlas if it holds up as well as the Atlas then it's a winner for sure. 

IMG_0946.thumb.jpg.8973c2dff15b38b1e09bf17636fe8862.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

There were a couple of these at the Fall Shoot, and they got the piss beat out of them.  I think both belonged to Matt.  He whores his guns out, so everyone abused them...   :lmao:

Thought I remembered reading you had leaned on one good with no issues. If they are going to hold up good then I might need more, maybe see if my Cerakote guy can color them to match the rifle they can call home, for that money I can have dedicated bipods.

2 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Thought I remembered reading you had leaned on one good with no issues. If they are going to hold up good then I might need more, maybe see if my Cerakote guy can color them to match the rifle they can call home, for that money I can have dedicated bipods.

With what I saw and did to them, I won't be buying anymore Harris notched-leg swivel bipods.  No way.  All my future bipods will be these MagPul bipods, brother.  :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CRracer912 said:

Anyone got much use out of these? Thoughts/impressions?

Not enough for a firm thumbs up yet but after a few hours use at the range everything seems solid, no negatives beyond the original impressions have arisen. If I don't look I can't tell I am not using my Atlas. I can lean on it hard, hard enough I lay off for fear of tweaking my rail. I won't be totally sold until I have run it a year or so but great kit for a start.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 11:12 AM, Hbadger18 said:

how long are the arms?

From the leg pivot bolt, they are 6 7/8" minimum to 10 3/8" maximum - leg pivot bolt to bottom of feet.  Leg pivot bolt sits 1" below the bottom of the rail, on the M-LOK version.

I'll take it out on New Year's Day, so I'll pound the hell out of it and see how it goes. I'll abuse it for certain.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I beat the piss out of this bipod today.  I had the legs fully extended the whole shooting trip.  I loaded the hell out of it hard, while it was panned.  I rotated it the 180 degrees it takes to lock the pan function out - which turns the legs around backwards - and loaded the hell out of it again.  This would fold a Harris' legs on you, if you tried that (and if the Harris even had that function).  I shot it hard today, to be mean to it.  I abused it.  My only wish was that I was up in the rocks, shooting down, so I could have loaded it up on a weird side angle, on the tilt.  That'll come.

It feels like you can load it ALOT harder than a Harris.  I'm not sure if that's because it flexes, or if you can really load it harder.  The way I leaned into this thing today, I wouldn't try that on one of my Harris bipods - but I load those things up, too.  I think I was subconsciously trying to break the MagPul bipod.  I can't analyze that right now, but I'm sick like that.

So, for me, there will be more of these in the future.  Every bipod I buy will be one of these.  I can't confirm this thought, here, but I also feel that if I every bust one of these up, I could send the pieces back to MagPul and they'd probably send me another new one.  That's the way they are with everything else they make.  Again, not confirmed, but if I can break it, I'll give it a shot.

Here it is on the .260 Rem - this one is the M-LOK version.  Next up is a Picatinny version. 

@Robocop1051, you got a Pic version in stock, brother?  If so, it's going on the Mk12 Mod 1.  :thumbup:

P1060865.thumb.JPG.08fc7cb1440f2b9ca5b072a88238535a.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

12 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

How about that comp sitting on your desk..... or bench ..... or where ever.... 

It's been "inserted."  I'm not gonna say where, when, or what, but it's been "inserted."   You get to deal with it now.   :lmao:

Hate love whatever. It's all the same. Thanks again. center of uranus. 

I I wasn't going to get one. I was going to resist. But I'm tired of swapping bipods between the 308 and that 10-22 with the Magpul FDE stock...boy isn't this perfect?

Edited by DNP