• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why sell an AR10 with a H buffer?

Str8shooter

37 minutes ago, mley1 said:

One of the first things I did to mine was add tungsten weights to the buffer to make it an H3. That was one of many mods I made to make it run decent.

Just ordered a armaspec 308 captured recoil spring to go with the barrel and adjustable gas block. I run 2 others in my ar15’s and a JPS in a third.  I will prob sell off the original barrel since I’ve never even shot through that tube.  New barrel just came in 

52EA00A4-D1D7-4565-97E2-AC1226804C72.jpeg

Edited by Str8shooter

On 11/18/2018 at 11:58 AM, Str8shooter said:

I have seen this posted for over a year now with PSA selling lowers with a lightweight H buffer.  I Just purchased a complete lower and thought for sure this would have been rectified by now.  Nope I have a standard H buffer instead of a heavy H3.  Set up the customers for failure.  

On 11/18/2018 at 3:27 PM, Robocop1051 said:

Don’t get @98Z5V started.... rant incoming☁️☁️☁️

I see that they haven't learned a fucking thing...   Surprised, but not surprised.  Not in the least.  Dumbasses.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I see that they haven't learned a fucking thing...   Surprised, but not surprised.  Not in the least.  Dumbasses.

Well the good news is that I went into this with eyes open.  I wanted a buget platform that I can tune with quality parts where it counts and still save money.   But like you I'm surprised people aren't having masive over gassing.  I can only guess that most are not running corked.  

I've built many AR's in 223 but had no idea the AR10 platform was the wild west with no accountability.  lol  Learning every day.  But for the cost it is still a great base to start a build.  That is once I mic everything out and I'm sure I will have to lap the upper berfore I am done.  

6 minutes ago, Str8shooter said:

But like you I'm surprised people aren't having masive over gassing.

I've built many AR's in 223 but had no idea the AR10 platform was the wild west with no accountability.

It's not over-gassing - it's "understrength recoil systems" - even though most people think it's overgassed, then jump straight on that adjustable gas block bandwagon right away.  Wrong bandaid fixing the wrong problem, IMHO.

We've know that the 308AR platform is the Wild West with no accountability, since late 2009.  That's when this board was formed, and why it exists in the first place, man. 

The AR-10 Platform doesn't have these issues, as you've stated.  Armalite figured that shiit out over half a century ago, and did it well, and they work.  "AR-10" is not in that picture.  ".308AR" platforms are another matter...

Terminology makes a difference, too...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

41 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

It's not over-gassing - it's "understrength recoil systems" - even though most people think it's overgassed, then jump straight on that adjustable gas block bandwagon right away.  Wrong bandaid fixing the wrong problem, IMHO.

We've know that the 308AR platform is the Wild West with no accountability, since late 2009.  That's when this board was formed, and why it exists in the first place, man. 

The AR-10 Platform doesn't have these issues, as you've stated.  Armalite figured that shiit out over half a century ago, and did it well, and they work.  "AR-10" is not in that picture.  ".308AR" platforms are another matter...

Terminology makes a difference, too...  :thumbup:

True enough.  Verbiage matters in deciphering issues.  I agree completely. 

To  throw on an adjustable gas block without dealing with the primary issue is short sighted.  308 is just too much rearward mass and energy to be dealt with from a standard weight buffer and spring.  

I've never dipped my toes into the 308 realm before now other then precision bolt shooting.  Learning as I go and from reading here.  

Thanks for keeping me accurate.

DPMS LR308 platform doesn't have these issues   , Armalite AR 10 platform being the other one  , also no one is copying the AR 10 ( not sure what the Brownells copies are like as of yet ), but they sure are with the DPMS version  . The problem is 99% of the other 308AR manufacturers are making their Rifles & components as a copy of the DPMS LR 308 , but making up their own spec's & not making them to the same as DPMS or they mix & try to match AR 10 & DPMS Parts or spec's & tolerance stacking is the result . It could also be poor quality control or just bad planing by these Manufacturers .

I have always said , pick a platform & build it to it & use quality components & parts & these 308AR's will run & that goes for mixing Receivers , stay with the same manufacturer of both .It seems PA is mixing different platform parts , thinking they have reinvented the wheel .As this is very simple , but if you look , most issues are really down to cost savings , you get what you pay for in most circumstances .

1 hour ago, Robert@FULL30 said:

What should I target for a buffer?

I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have here , thank you.

If you have no recoil system parts yet, just get the whole Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system.  :thumbup:

You can do the whole kit (one part number), or piece it together.  There are three companies that I know of that are doing a confirmed 7 5/8" internal depth receiver extension, so there are options if some things are outta stock.  Armalite AR-10 Carbine, VLTOR A5 (couple of different ones), and MagPul SR-25/M110.  Any one of those three, Armalite EA1095 spring, any AR15 H3 carbine buffer (or the Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer, same/same).

Edited by 98Z5V

12 minutes ago, Robert@FULL30 said:

Really the only thing I haven't acquired yet is buffer and tube, I have a spring for a BFS III and this is the stock I have

You can go either route on that stock, brother - rifle recoil system, or carbine recoil system.  I'd run rifle on it, if it was mine.  Parts are easier to get, and manufacturers fuk it up less often.  5.200" .308AR rifle buffer weighs 5.4 oz, and that doesn't get jacked too often by too many smaller manufacturers - they just can't fuk that up, like they do on 308 carbine shorty buffers.  Armalite EA1095 spring.  Any AR15 rifle receiver extension - some are labeled "A1" and some are labeled "A2" - they're the same, as far as the actual extension goes.  The A2 comes with a longer vented buttstock screw, in order to support a 5/8" spacer that the longer A2 stock requires - you don't need those extra parts, just the extension itself.

Here's everything you need for a rifle recoil system, all from DSG Arms - the EA1095 spring is OOS at the moment, but other vendors have it, if it's a "right now" necessity - DSG is great about their inventory notifications, and you sign up for an OOS item - at that point, you can pull the trigger on it all... Their customer service is badass, on the phone, too.  You can call them and ask when something is anticipated to be back in stock.  They rock at customer service questions over the phone...    :thumbup:

https://dsgarms.com/armea1095

https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4201-0041

https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4201-0048

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2018 at 4:08 PM, 98Z5V said:

Here's everything you need for a rifle recoil system, all from DSG Arms - the EA1095 spring is OOS at the moment, but other vendors have it, if it's a "right now" necessity - DSG is great about their inventory notifications, and you sign up for an OOS item - at that point, you can pull the trigger on it all... Their customer service is badass, on the phone, too.  You can call them and ask when something is anticipated to be back in stock.  They rock at customer service questions over the phone...    :thumbup:

https://dsgarms.com/armea1095

https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4201-0041

https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4201-0048

tagging so I can find this again.....thanks for the info!