• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Truck ( to me )

survivalshop

I can see my Hunting trips back onto Ohio now . My 05 F150 two wheel drive was getting long in the tooth for 2K mile trips , plus the last time I was up there , coming back in a Blizzard through West Virginia was about the scariest ride I have ever had in my life . I also need a 4x4 to drive on the Beach here now , because the Hurricanes screwed them up so bad & it will take years to get them back to the way they were . I can get back to Surf Fishing & taking the Dogs out there .

To all you poor guys that don't like Ford trucks , you're just jealous ?.

I just traded in a 14 year old F150 that was in great shape & had no problems with for those years . The only problem I have with this Truck is, I have a Truck payment now , again , but it will be the last Truck I will ever buy in my life time .

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

Actually I am wondering if any vehicle these days is built to last. might be best to just buy an old military deuce and a half

I’m a Chevy guy. But my Silverado is not holding up. They use a soft front end that’s not quite holding up over time. With 115k I’m either going to have to rebuild the whole front end (body is starting to rot at both rockers, it’s an ‘05) or face the music, which with a regular extended cab and my family size now vs when I bought it new I need the crew cab now anyway. I’m going to preface that I’m now looking at 3/4 or 1 tons as 1/2 trucks aren’t built to last. Too heavy for the suspension under them. They are made to drive like cars.

So onto Ram trucks. Nice enough aesthetically but they rot out faster than a virgin on prom night. Good motor but have been known for shitty transmissions, my friend is on his third. I don’t not like them, but I’m not in love. 

Chevy.... while I like the new trucks I know their inherent weaknesses. Is it worth buying knowing that it’s going to fall just short of great. They are getting cheaper in their manufacturing process and I have little faith lately. This is separate from their cars, trucks only. 

Ford. Well dang if it wasn’t so damn expensive. I think I’m in on a  super duty but I may be getting used. I can’t see buying new now (I’d like too) and I worry that because my personal vehicle barely gets used it will waste away regardless. (Company car gets 35k + miles a year). Nice truck SS. I like this guy here, but the price!!?!?

https://www.saratford.net/new/Ford/2017-Ford-Super+Duty+F-250+SRW-agawam-ma-68c9b5d30a0e0ae73626230350166c33.htm

wait for the video to embed and watch at the top. Comes with lift and electric step bars, etc, all with factory warranty. Plus in my stupid state it slides you past inspection limitations when you modify from factory.

Rams cured their transmission woes, but jury is still out on body rot. My 2005 Ram had 147,000 miles on it but rotted out rear wheel wells when I sold it in 2016. The biggest culprit was the welding method they were using on the wheel wells was letting moisture squeeze in under the paint and rot them out. Supposedly they fixed that. My 2015 is showing no signs of rust. You are better off with a 3/4 ton or 1ton, and for the price difference and resale I would go with the 1 ton. I don’t have any brand loyalty and go with the best deal for what I want to spend. I have had a GMC 15,  a Ford F150, and two Ram 1500’s. All good trucks, all with different weaknesses.

10 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I’m a Chevy guy. But my Silverado is not holding up. They use a soft front end that’s not quite holding up over time. With 115k I’m either going to have to rebuild the whole front end (body is starting to rot at both rockers, it’s an ‘05) or face the music, which with a regular extended cab and my family size now vs when I bought it new I need the crew cab now anyway. I’m going to preface that I’m now looking at 3/4 or 1 tons as 1/2 trucks aren’t built to last. Too heavy for the suspension under them. They are made to drive like cars.

So onto Ram trucks. Nice enough aesthetically but they rot out faster than a virgin on prom night. Good motor but have been known for shitty transmissions, my friend is on his third. I don’t not like them, but I’m not in love. 

Chevy.... while I like the new trucks I know their inherent weaknesses. Is it worth buying knowing that it’s going to fall just short of great. They are getting cheaper in their manufacturing process and I have little faith lately. This is separate from their cars, trucks only. 

Ford. Well dang if it wasn’t so damn expensive. I think I’m in on a  super duty but I may be getting used. I can’t see buying new now (I’d like too) and I worry that because my personal vehicle barely gets used it will waste away regardless. (Company car gets 35k + miles a year). Nice truck SS. I like this guy here, but the price!!?!?

https://www.saratford.net/new/Ford/2017-Ford-Super+Duty+F-250+SRW-agawam-ma-68c9b5d30a0e0ae73626230350166c33.htm

wait for the video to embed and watch at the top. Comes with lift and electric step bars, etc, all with factory warranty. Plus in my stupid state it slides you past inspection limitations when you modify from factory.

You have great taste , Edge , you picked about the most expensive line up . ? The new Ford SD Trucks are Aluminum Bodies , my 2016 is the last of the Steel Body SD Trucks , it looks like it just came off the show room floor , under the truck doesn't look like its has 34K on it , it looks like its never been driven . My F150 had a hair over 150 K on it & was a sound Truck & I could have got a lot more years out of it , but I wanted a 4x4 , for a couple reasons as I posted & I would not purchase a brand new one & how much is lost ,just driving it off the lot . I paid 36K for it , was the best deal in a 250 mile radius here , it doesn't have all the goodies , like if I picked up a F150 4x4 & they were priced about the same  , but I got a whole hell of a lot more Truck for what i paid . This thing is a beast , the previous owner had Flowmaster , all Stainless Steel , welded duel exhaust on it & that 6.2 V8 sounds great & no noise at cruz .

Look for low milage used trucks , they are better deals , this is a Ford certified Truck & has a couple K left on the original Bumper to Bumper & another 12K or one year bumper to bumper warranty on top of that , not to mention 7 year or 100K Drive train warranty from the factory . This Truck is not the highest end one like the one you show , but has more crap then I will use or need . The XLT & Off road Packages are nice , I had fogged up out side mirrors yesterday ( ya I know , big deal ?) but a push of a button & they just disappeared .

On 12/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, ARTrooper said:

I think with any brand of trucks these days, best to go with the larger models because they build them so much stronger. and diesel, I like.

I agree , but not the Diesel part , unless you plan on towing big. The Diesel sure has the Torque thats for sure , I had a 93 F350 Dually with a 7.3 Turbo charged Diesel & 5 speed manual tranny , man it was like a tractor , but stunk & was loud , my wife couldn't take the Diesel fumes or smell & Had issues with starting in very cold weather sometimes , went through two sets of glow plugs . Had to park near the outside maintenance shed to plug it in when at work , sometimes needing a long extension cord , because of parking .

15 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I agree , but not the Diesel part , unless you plan on towing big. The Diesel sure has the Torque thats for sure , I had a 93 F350 Dually with a 7.3 Turbo charged Diesel & 5 speed manual tranny , man it was like a tractor , but stunk & was loud , my wife couldn't take the Diesel fumes or smell & Had issues with starting in very cold weather sometimes , went through two sets of glow plugs . Had to park near the outside maintenance shed to plug it in when at work , sometimes needing a long extension cord , because of parking .

I haul a lot of firewood frequently. That's my main use for a truck right now besides pulling my little boat, which even the smallest truck could do.