• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RobPLSca's build....ssssss

DNP

So, I'll start a thread for @RobPLSCA to get things rolling. I brought home one of his lowers today to see what we were dealing with. Mates up to my JD upper just fine. There are a few differences in the lines, but looks pretty good.  Let's get these things going Rob. 

I told him how much you all loved the Larue triggers...so he ordered up 2 of those today.  Let's help him spend some money  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Dirk. On sale Doc. Yeah folks, I've picked up a couple things for a .308 (BA 18" fluted ss) build, and will do another in 6.5 CM. I am also considering caliber options for the third one. 98Z5V had an interesting suggestion for .338 Federal. Looking into that, I stumbled across the similar .358 Winchester. Either of those would be very cool. Ultimately, the .308 & larger would be for feral hog hunting, and of course other stuff. Hog videos got me going on the ARs. Forum member suggestions are welcome.

41 minutes ago, RobPLSCA said:

Forum member suggestions are welcome.

I have an idea - for longevity.  You build that 3rd one as a .338 Federal.  When you shoot that barrel out, you just send it off and THEN get it re-bored for the .358 Winchester...

:thumbup:

Once you shoot that .308 Winchester out, you get THAT one re-bored for .338 Federal.  Win/win here.  You then pick up some new .308 Win barrel - you've shot a TON, had a damn great time doing it - added another caliber to the stable.  For a .308 Win barrel...   You'll have YEARS to pick up all the parts for that 4th one, that way.  :banana:

1 hour ago, RobPLSCA said:

?

Where do I get the .338 Fed barrel?

Super easy question - and this is in stock. 

I lusted after a .338 Fed for quite awhile, and was going to go through custom barrel manufacturers to get one made.  The manna fell from heaven one day, right before I was ready to pull the trigger on that custom barrel order, and Wilson Combat sent me a magical, clairvoyant email, and announced that they were making barrels in .338 Fed. That sealed the deal, right then, right now.  I did it.

I went with the 16" barrel.  For that caliber, and that barrel length, it'll kill anything I need it to kill, within that ballistic range of the cartridge.

Browse to your liking - but make damn sure you buy one with the 1:10" twist.  Those 1:12" twists aregreat for light-ass projectiles - but you don't get into a .338 Federal for light-ass projectiles.

Happy shopping!  Click it:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/338-Federal/products/740/

FWIW - I've never SEEN those barrels that cheap.  I'm not saying that to push you into it - I'm saying that because I paid a HELL of alot more for my barrel, several years ago.  Kill that sale they have right now, man - you won't see that for a long time.  That's crazy... 

11 hours ago, RobPLSCA said:

I was originally thinking Ranier super match for the 6.5, but for less than that, I ordered both 6.5 CM & .338 Federal. DNP was right: you guys are really knowledgeable and good at helping others spend money. 

THANK YOU! I don't have the experience or time to do this alone!

Did you get TWO Wilson Combat barrels?...   

On 12/29/2018 at 1:33 AM, 98Z5V said:

FWIW - I've never SEEN those barrels that cheap.  I'm not saying that to push you into it - I'm saying that because I paid a HELL of alot more for my barrel, several years ago.  Kill that sale they have right now, man - you won't see that for a long time.  That's crazy... 

I am almost ready to buy one even if I don't ever build one those prices are cheap.

23 hours ago, RobPLSCA said:

If these don't work for me, they will likely be available... 

Well I have been wanting to do a Grendel and considering my go to company (Criterion) can not touch Wilson.

I can't believe that there is almost a $200 difference,makes me feel guilty for not staying loyal.

We'll know what I'm going to be up to.

Edited by Ravenworks