• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lucas Gun Oil

I hang my head in ignorant shame. A serious opsec violation however :-).

Black Ops Lightweight 30-and-a-half cal machine gun. Really hush hush stuff for top tier Operators.

It’s made from a metal-air matrix composite (think “steel sponge”) to reduce weight. It doesn’t last as long as solid steel but the Special Operators for their dark ops don’t mind buying a new one every couple of missions because they have deep pockets of Black Money from Congress.

But yeah, the (classified) -10 manual for that shows it will suck up the first application of oil (remember, it’s a sponge!) so you need two.

Edited by willbird

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all, will - you were allowed to air your opinion - and nobody else is allowed to air their own opinion?  Doesn't work that way.  You can say whatever you want, but it's trouble when someone disagrees with your opinion?  Nope, not gonna happen.

There are lots of "surface issues" even in finely machined metals.  There are SOME additives that work, and some that don't.  I witness testing of lubricants about twice a year, in person, for the last 5 years.  I've seen ones that work, and I've seen that "snake oil" you refer to - the ones that don't work. I've also seen, in person, fuel additive testing.  You know that Lucas fuel system treatment?  You can pour it in a bowl, and you cannot light it on fire, with a propane torch...  I kid you not. It will NOT burn...  So, how does it clean a fuel system, then?  So, there's your example disproving your thoughts on this being about a certain product or name.

I can tell you this, too - there are some products that adhere to the metal, and fill in those microscopic pores, cavities, crags, crevices...  and they work.  Some of them work very damn well.

Ever seen a $25,000 V8 crankshaft? Yes, just the crankshaft...   It doesn't need any additives, and it doesn't have all those metal surface issues.  That's why it's $25,000, and it takes 6~8 months to get it.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:14 PM, suzukiray said:

Has anyone tried it? Any feedback?

Good question and I have been wondering about this myself.  It is widely available here in Indiana but I was brought up on Hoppe's and am hesitant to buy Lucas products though the family is a big deal here.

Edited by EugeneStoner

I'm near Indy @unforgiven Have you seen this article about Eugene Stoner's birthplace?  I grew up in central Wisconsin but am at least 50% Hoosier via my Mom who is from Clay county.  I pass through Gosport all the time for family events like Thanksgiving and Christmas (have an Aunt in Spencer/Owen County).

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/11/22/happy-birthday-eugene-stoner-looking-inventors-origins/

Edited by EugeneStoner

OK, so I'll wade in to the porous vs not porous debate?

Any of you ever seen the inside of an industrial/agricultural/truck transmission or engine crankcase?, if you have you may have wondered why the manufacturer bothered to paint the inside of the transmission housing/crankcase.

Well there are a handful of very good reasons why they do.

1...the paint encapsulates any stray sand from the moulding/casting process used in the manufacture of the housing.

2...the paint reduces surface tension, (makes the surface slick), and the lubrication oil drains to the bottom more readily so when being serviced more of the oil is removed on draining.

3... and here's the clincher, the paint SEALS the housing, preventing oil seepage through the casting at high operating temperatures.

I have seen it with my own eyes, ZF APL345 axle, blistering the exterior paint, poked the blisters and oil poured out of them, after pulling the axle apart it was apparent that parts of the inside surfaces had been missed when it was painted, guess what, this is exactly where the oil blisters were located on the outside of the housing.