Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit AR15 Builder
  • Visit
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
Shentile

AR 308 Build - Need Help Troubleshooting

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

New member here with a question for the community on a lightweight build I'm having issues with. The details are below if anyone can provide any insight. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

 

Rifle chambers the first round from a magazine, when trigger is pulled it just clicks and does not fire. If I then lock the bolt to the rear, drop the magazine, ride the bolt back forward and fire, that same round will fire without issue but the casing will not eject.

 

I've already tried disassembling the bolt carrier group and bolt and re-assembling as well as disassembling and re-assembling the bolt catch thinking it may be bolt catch interference. Any help is appreciated.

 

Stephen 

Edited by Shentile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply, parts list is as follows:

 

Receiver set: Battle Arms Development BAD762

Barrel: Faxon Firearms 18" Pencil Barrel

Muzzle Device: V7 Weapon Systems Titanium Brake

BCG: V7 Weapon Systems Titanium BCG

Bolt: Faxon Firearms .308 Bolt

Handguard: Battle Arms Development 15" 308 Handguard

Gas Block: Supuraltive Arms Adjustable Gas Block

Grip and Buttstock: Daniel Defense

Everything else is DPMS or a variant of DPMS parts (buffer tube, spring, buffer etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot mag release, and bolt catch which are both Battle Arms Development

And trigger which is CMC Trigger flat trigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, this is my second AR 308 and fifth total rifle (the other three being AR-15 variants). If anyone has any ideas as to what might be malfunctioning I would appreciate it because my buddies and I have all used our Army math and can't find the answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shentile said:

Haha, this is my second AR 308 and fifth total rifle (the other three being AR-15 variants). If anyone has any ideas as to what might be malfunctioning I would appreciate it because my buddies and I have all used our Army math and can't find the answer. 

There are multiple potential issues;

1. Lubricant; this platform needs lots of it in the upper receiver when new. Lots!

2. Tight new components, and/or a tight chamber. Lubricant takes care of the first, polishing your chamber takes care of the latter.

3. With the first two issues remedied, begin looking at your mags for potential issues, and if mags aren't the problem, try a trigger that's known to be reliable on this platform.

That's where I would personally begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt.Cross! I'll lube her up good and see if that fixes it. Is there a trigger that you would recommend over CMC for a 308 build or just have found that CMC is unreliable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shentile said:

Thanks Matt.Cross! I'll lube her up good and see if that fixes it. Is there a trigger that you would recommend over CMC for a 308 build or just have found that CMC is unreliable? 

I can't say that either is specifically the case, but CMC triggers are less common on this platform. The idea is only to rule it out as a cause, if it isn't contributing to the issues, then by all means use it. I'm only suggesting that a trigger with a good large AR track record can help eliminate potential issues.

My feeling is that the CMC is fine and your issues are coming from a tight chamber and all-new parts, possibly compounded by mag issues. That's why I put ruling out the trigger last.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matt.Cross said:

I can't say that either is specifically the case, but CMC triggers are less common on this platform. The idea is only to rule it out as a cause, if it isn't contributing to the issues, then by all means use it. I'm only suggesting that a trigger with a good large AR track record can help eliminate potential issues.

My feeling is that the CMC is fine and your issues are coming from a tight chamber and all-new parts, possibly compounded by mag issues. That's why I put ruling out the trigger last.

👍

In any case, the Geisselle SSA-E has a good track record and regularly goes on sale at PSA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt.Cross said:

In any case, the Geisselle SSA-E has a good track record and regularly goes on sale at PSA.

 

3 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I can't say that either is specifically the case, but CMC triggers are less common on this platform. The idea is only to rule it out as a cause, if it isn't contributing to the issues, then by all means use it. I'm only suggesting that a trigger with a good large AR track record can help eliminate potential issues.

My feeling is that the CMC is fine and your issues are coming from a tight chamber and all-new parts, possibly compounded by mag issues. That's why I put ruling out the trigger last.

👍

Thanks! Appreciate all of the info, I'll post back on here what ended up working in case anyone has a similar issue in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, nope, nope.

Get into the details on that recoil system, DPMS.  Everything else is first-rate parts.

That recoil system is what's causing the problems here.  Sounds like it's an AR15 recoil system, complete, from the conditions listed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  Is it a rifle recoil system or a carbine recoil system?

2.  How long is the buffer?

3.  What is the internal depth of the receiver extension? - stick a tape measure down there, and see how deep that extension is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

1.  Is it a rifle recoil system or a carbine recoil system?

2.  How long is the buffer?

3.  What is the internal depth of the receiver extension? - stick a tape measure down there, and see how deep that extension is.

1. Carbine length

2. 2.5" 3.8 oz. 

3. 6 15/16"

 

If this may be the issue do you have a buffer/spring/tube recommendation for a lightweight .308 build? Thanks for the input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I'm pretty sure the 16 + 15/16" is a typo. We'll correct that with your actual measurements @Shentile , no problem.

Lol my apologies, I'm at work and fat fingered it, i meant 6 15/16" but this is just an educated guess of the manufacturers website because I haven't gotten a chance to go home and measure yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shentile said:

Lol my apologies, I'm at work and fat fingered it, i meant 6 15/16" but this is just an educated guess of the manufacturers website because I haven't gotten a chance to go home and measure yet. 

No problem at all. The editing issue can be frustrating, just wanted to let you know we got your back where the editing is concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shentile said:

Lol my apologies, I'm at work and fat fingered it, i meant 6 15/16" but this is just an educated guess of the manufacturers website because I haven't gotten a chance to go home and measure yet. 

Most of us have fat fingers as well.  :thumbup:

But a measurement of your actual receiver extension is needed.  Some manufacturers, even well known ones, think that getting close is good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×