• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New here - total novice

ar-mountaineer

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You bought this one, right?

https://daytonatactical.com/products/80-anodized-ar10-308-lower-receiver

The Aero Precision M5 upper will pin right to it, and completely function.  If it doesn't, I'll buy the upper from you for what you paid.

Yes. That is the exact one that I bought. If it comes down to it I’ll just buy the aeroprecision Complete stripped lower for it if i end up buying it and it doesn’t work. I own up to my own mistakes if I purchase anything that is wrong bc in reality I make the decision. My coworkers nephew has a FFL and runs an AK47 business, if you’ve ever heard of them childersguns.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, ar-mountaineer said:

Here would be my task for anyone who would accept it (mainly bc I’ve failed in my attempt so far). If you were building a very high grade of dpms 308 what parts would you put on it. At this point I have more money than brains in regards to this. 

I have the 80% lower and parts kit and apparently the NiB BCG bc I bought it as referenced in this thread.

I need a complete upper (barrel -let’s go 18-20”-hand guard, gas block etc already installed), charging handle, buffer parts, and buttstock (prefer rifle length with adjustable chin rest). Budget of let’s say $1200 for the stuff I don’t have. I’ll handle the glass separate. 

https://www.fulton-armory.com/fariflecal556mmupruniversalprecisionrifle-3-4-2-1-1-2-1-2-2-1-4-2-5-3.aspx

@ar-mountaineer, everything you have said you want for your rifle or what you would do with it suggests to me that you would be best with a 16 inch barrel. you are going to gain a lot more speed and maneuverability out of 16 inches because of length and weight, something important if those bears come around or if you have to protect your house from intruders, or just to make a quicker shot on a deer. plus, way more comfortable to shoot because it takes less time and effort to get set for a good shot. some people think you need these huge barrels to make long shots. now I have never shot over 600 yards really myself, but in the military I used to be able to use my m4 with 14.5in barrel out to 600 and hit a man sized target pretty easy unsupported in the prone, and that's with 5.56 which is nothing compared to .308. 16 inches will make you plenty happy with the results as long as they are good parts, and will keep your wallet a little thicker. plus with shorter barrels the benefit of it being thicker is less, saving you more and more weight the shorter you go. I carried around a machinegun for a long time, trust me, you want to save some weight. 

Currently my agency issued me a m16 with a 20in barrel for a lot of reasons that make me want to slam my head against a wall. I can tell you now, the majority of dangerous calls or calls involving buildings, I don't even grab my rifle because it is to long to wield in many locations.

and if anyone can send you in the right direction with visual proof that .308 in a shorter barrel can take even elk at 400 yards, it is @Magwa. He has proved it time and time again and I suggest searching for some threads where he has shared those pictures. 

31 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

@ar-mountaineer, everything you have said you want for your rifle or what you would do with it suggests to me that you would be best with a 16 inch barrel. you are going to gain a lot more speed and maneuverability out of 16 inches because of length and weight, something important if those bears come around or if you have to protect your house from intruders, or just to make a quicker shot on a deer. plus, way more comfortable to shoot because it takes less time and effort to get set for a good shot. some people think you need these huge barrels to make long shots. now I have never shot over 600 yards really myself, but in the military I used to be able to use my m4 with 14.5in barrel out to 600 and hit a man sized target pretty easy unsupported in the prone, and that's with 5.56 which is nothing compared to .308. 16 inches will make you plenty happy with the results as long as they are good parts, and will keep your wallet a little thicker. plus with shorter barrels the benefit of it being thicker is less, saving you more and more weight the shorter you go. I carried around a machinegun for a long time, trust me, you want to save some weight. 

Currently my agency issued me a m16 with a 20in barrel for a lot of reasons that make me want to slam my head against a wall. I can tell you now, the majority of dangerous calls or calls involving buildings, I don't even grab my rifle because it is to long to wield in many locations.

and if anyone can send you in the right direction with visual proof that .308 in a shorter barrel can take even elk at 400 yards, it is @Magwa. He has proved it time and time again and I suggest searching for some threads where he has shared those pictures. 

Thanks for the reply. I’m learning more and more. Most important I want to buy quality. I don’t want something that won’t preform regardless of price. I want bang for my buck. I want the pieces that I pick out to be correct and work together. The 308 seems much harder to match up parts than the AR15. And of those parts trying to decide what is best. And I want the flattest shooting 308 I can get (I would rank this high on my list of desires), so if I can find ways to flatten the shot out to 400 yards that would be the ultimate goal.

My current 308 bolt action rifle has a 22 inch barre if I remember correctly. I guess I don’t understand why its standard for hunting rifles to have long barrels and not for ar-type builds. I’m not in the business of using these for personal protection daily. My 308 build wouldn’t be my choice for a home intruder, it’s simply for occasional hunting and range time. I’ve got 3 small kids and if there is a home intruder I would use my AR15 (16 inch barrel with soft points) before this any day within my home. I’m likely to build a 9mm AR  type after this one for the sole purpose of intruder protection. I will search some threads for Magwa. Thanks again. 

13 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

Ask me how I know.

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

How do you know?...

I second this.

AFAICT, the only difference between Aero's LPK and, say, a Luth-AR LPK is that the pivot and takedown pins are "custom-made for [their] M5 lower," and "may stick out farther" if used with any other DPMS-pattern lower. Quotes from Aero's website.

I just put an Aero M5 lower together with a Luth-AR LPK and had no issues. The pivot pin is sunk in maybe 1/32" on the left side, and the takedown pin sticks out maybe 1/16" (makes it easy to get started). Now, the lower hasn't been run yet (waiting for DVOR to run another batch of Faxon barrels through at $185...), but I didn't notice anything unusual. Aside from the fact that I had to jump on Amazon and buy some 4-40x1/8" set screws...

Edited by COBrien
Specificity...

4 hours ago, ar-mountaineer said:

And I want the flattest shooting 308 I can get (I would rank this high on my list of desires), so if I can find ways to flatten the shot out to 400 yards that would be the ultimate goal.

I completely understand, one reason I am building a .260 Remington. But recommend you take a few moments trying to find resources on shortening the barrel of a .308. you would be surprised how little difference taking off the inches really does. Also, rounds that depend on their speed are more effected by shortening the barrel. this is usually rounds that start out fast (over 3000 fps) and have poor ballistic coefficient bullets. .308 isn't a speed demon and generally runs bullets with decent BCs, this is why it can get away with running shorter barrels just fine without drastically changing the dope from long barrel to short barrel. many people even build pistol .308s that perform just fine. 

Now I am not going to say that a long barrel doesn't create better velocity and makes a round shoot flatter, but is the slight gain worth all the other tradeoffs? Unless you are benchrest shooter or commonly shoot 800+ yards, I would say that it isn't worth it to have long heavy barrels.

I agree with all that is said above 16 inches is all you need for a hunting gun and ethical shots and My cutoff is about 500 to 6oo yards I shoot my creedmore way further at steel but not at animals but the 308 loaded with not good bullets but great bullets like Barnes TTSX simple pole axes elk at 400 and I am sure it would at 500 as well I have just not shot one with 308 at that distance I have made longer kills with 7mmSTW but that is another beast all together weight is the key for a hunting gun a range gun or steel gun can weigh whatever you want but when you lug that Bitch all day you want every OZ. off of her carcass that you can go 16.....

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

I agree with all that is said above 16 inches is all you need for a hunting gun and ethical shots and My cutoff is about 500 to 6oo yards I shoot my creedmore way further at steel but not at animals but the 308 loaded with not good bullets but great bullets like Barnes TTSX simple pole axes elk at 400 and I am sure it would at 500 as well I have just not shot one with 308 at that distance I have made longer kills with 7mmSTW but that is another beast all together weight is the key for a hunting gun a range gun or steel gun can weigh whatever you want but when you lug that Bitch all day you want every OZ. off of her carcass that you can go 16.....

I appreciate the reply. I’m not used to being able to customize my guns. It’s always been “here’s the rifle, go get a deer”. I then got the AR15 but I had no input into it. This will be “my” gun in more than one sense. Something to be proud of and something grow into and learn new things with. The more I hear about very experienced shooters using a smaller barrel the more it is convincing me. I would love a try before you buy just so I can feel the recoil, what recovery it has and the noise level.

I don’t go on any long hunts at least not packing in and packing out. Whitetail deer is as exotic as I get. And it’s usually within an area of no more than 20 acres (though there is much more land that I could go on, there just is no need). The deer are plentiful around me. I spend more time walking/backing people up/spotting than I do in my own hunts....for some reason they want to be out in the woods. I mean, I get it, I find my outlet with other things, hunting deer is just a great way if getting meat and low effort for me. It’s usually happens as I’m getting something out of the fridge then looking out the window and telling my wife I’m going to get the gun. 

I don’t shoot thousands of rounds a year myself, but the family sure does. There are a few times a year that everyone gets together to try out each other’s toys, do some trap shooting and target competitions. I don’t have to kill wildlife to survive but I like to know that I could. One of my favorite things is deer jerky and my wife likes to cut it up and prepare it. My last deer I made over 12 pounds of jerky out of.

I’m going to continue to listen to personal expierences before I purchase an upper and barrel. I’ll mill out this 80% and get everything ready for just slapping on the complete upper that I will eventually purchase. I will say that I am absolutely abandoning the 24” barrel. I owe it to this forum for pointing me in the right direction. 

silencershop.. they have it down! you can do a one shot trust for one can or a full on trust for multiple.. they are very helpfull on the phone. 

lots of options to choose from. I have a sig tiqd in 30 cal but others here have some good brands.. the price is pretty reasonable now. only factor is waiting for the feds to get you approved. check your local laws to begin with. 

if you can you should! 

5 minutes ago, sketch said:

silencershop.. they have it down! you can do a one shot trust for one can or a full on trust for multiple.. they are very helpfull on the phone. 

lots of options to choose from. I have a sig tiqd in 30 cal but others here have some good brands.. the price is pretty reasonable now. only factor is waiting for the feds to get you approved. check your local laws to begin with. 

if you can you should! 

Funny thing. I cannot confirm but will not deny that my wife works for the FBI doing, you guessed it, firearm background checks. Haha. Too bad I get no preferential treatment if that was true.  Again, I am not at liberty to divulge if the above statement is true, you know, even though we live within a few miles of the facility in WV. 

2 minutes ago, sketch said:

dosnt matter even she would be under the scrutiny of the feds! you know full well than what your up against.. id bet you are a go! can you put in a good word for me... jk!

Just looked it up and WV it is legal to have a suppressor. I can say, though, that both my wife and I are federal employees. 

Looks like something else to research now. 

I like a two stage trigger for hunting I like the fact you can ease the gun up while you are waiting for the shot having that wall at the end of the first stage is a great way to settle in before breaking the shot especially if their is some distance involved...also there is not much kick to a 308 but their is a lot of Boom at the business end and a can makes life much more enjoyable I can tell you from experience my 68 year old worn out ears love not ringing and I have full blown tinnitus so it is a must  for me as I shoot a lot... so having ear protection is a must for range shooting if you do not own a can I like the AAC 7.62 SDN-6 I was where you are now when I came to this site these are the best of the best and they speak from experience listen to them you will learn some good info.... and a laugh or three...BUT do not volunteer for anything!!!!!!.....lol

2 hours ago, ar-mountaineer said:

So I’ve got to ask. What is your choice on charging handles?  I hope that’s not a taboo topic, haha. Again, I want to pick something that I only have to buy once.  

I was looking at this one 

tacOps 1

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

As good as they get. :thumbup:

Seconded. I've got 2 TacOps handles, one for my LR-308 and one for my 5.56 rifle.

Though I'd love to have a TacOps CQB for my 5.56, and put the "full-size" handle in a scoped setup I'm formulating...