• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA awesomeness

panel77

short version.

Poor redneck in need of loud noises. 

PSA has 18" stainless complete assembled upper with BCG/CH and M-lok and flattop for $400 delivered.

sold

then for $449 delivered they had this;516445787

https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=516445787

sold-again.

threw them on top of 80% AMT lowers. fail. proprietary POS PSA hang the upper so far over the magwell, butchered one mag almost 1/2" right in the front to get it to feed... okay. fine. go back to AMT, buy AMT uppers, swap everything.

bang, bang, clank, bbbbcbcbbc

and repeat. every clank is the bolt riding over the top of a new rnd as it tries to get into chamber. all PMAGs and 20 different ones. 

then through google i found you guys and read 98Z5V posts on the fixes and ive got them all;

gas tube barely into cutout-check

short buffer springs <11.5"-check

>7.625 buffer tube-check

buffer weight low: one is 3.85 marked with H, other is 3.88-check

wasted 200 rounds going nowhere so far-check.

will find 5+buffer and 13.x spring, install correct length tube, check gas port size and increase to at least 070

one has A2 FS, prob gonna keep that way, the Mlok might try to find adjustable gas block-opinions? 

File_000.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at parts on PSA and asked simply-how long is spring, how heavy is buffer?

this is the answer I got;

BEST ANSWER: The spring is a standard AR-10 spring length and the buffer tube is the same. The buffer tube is hollowed out aluminum so it's pretty light weight. Think AR-15 just a little bigger. Everything is just ratched up a notch to accommodate the .308/7.62x51 round. Nothing weighs more than what's necessary for a semi-auto .308 rifle...

----------

This is not an answer to the question I asked. =(

98Z5V sent me a PM and gave me encouragement and links-thank you!

Just waiting for the mailman now.

shooterrex  told me to put on the A2 and run it till parts show. Thanks for that but I think I'm gonna wait as range time is rare and distant and expensive. I dont live(anymore) where I can walk out my back deck and let fly.

13 minutes ago, panel77 said:

I was looking at parts on PSA and asked simply-how long is spring, how heavy is buffer?

this is the answer I got;

BEST ANSWER: The spring is a standard AR-10 spring length and the buffer tube is the same. The buffer tube is hollowed out aluminum so it's pretty light weight. Think AR-15 just a little bigger. Everything is just ratched up a notch to accommodate the .308/7.62x51 round. Nothing weighs more than what's necessary for a semi-auto .308 rifle...

----------

This is not an answer to the question I asked. =(

98Z5V sent me a PM and gave me encouragement and links-thank you!

Just waiting for the mailman now.

shooterrex  told me to put on the A2 and run it till parts show. Thanks for that but I think I'm gonna wait as range time is rare and distant and expensive. I dont live(anymore) where I can walk out my back deck and let fly.

Their spring is nowhere even close to the dimension of an AR-10 operating spring (Armalite part number EA1095).  They can order one and compare their parts, if they want to - they'll find out how far off they are.  They used to have a member here (Josiah, Jamin's brother), but he hasn't been active in a long time.

Weird - you also asked how heavy their buffer was, and they answered (kinda) with the internal depth of a receiver extension- without giving a measurement.  Their receiver extension should be 7 5/8" internal depth, not "kinda" or "close" but exactly - but that's not what they make.  Their buffer should be 5.4oz, but it's 3.8oz.

Food for thought, once again, PSA. Soak up the information, and fix your large frame ARs...  if you want.

Gas block diameters on both at .750"?  18" midlength gas on both barrels?  That one I worked on was 18" midlength gas, .750 gas block diameter on the barrel, and I had to take the gas port to 0.085" to get it to run great.

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Gas block diameters on both at .750"?  18" midlength gas on both barrels?  That one I worked on was 18" midlength gas, .750 gas block diameter on the barrel, and I had to take the gas port to 0.085" to get it to run great.

yep-both barrel at gas port are 0.7500

both ports the same at between 0.0735-0.0750

so going straight up to 0.0780 should be zero issue.

I didnt buy an adjustable gas block.

got the A2 on one and small fixed block on the MLOK.

both are 18"

MLOK is 18, stainless and 3/4 at the port

A2 is 18, standard, and 3/4 at the port.

Start at drilling them to 0.081".  You might need to go up to 0.085", like I did.

My numbers are with an Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas tube, which is longer than what PSA sends these rifles out with.  Fix that gas tube first.

went conservative

0.0785 from 0.073

13.5" spring from 11.25

2 quarters=7.625 buffer tube from 7.825

5.48oz buffer from 3.xx

rainier gas tube was supposed to be the right length BUT came as 393mm(~15.5") and my old one was 298mm((~11.73") and should have been something like 305 or 310-i dont know exact but in all cases-waiting for the mail again....

18" barrel from PSA came with the shorter 298 the part number in google sent me to the rainier site which turns out arrived in the aforementioned 393mm so now I have to return and get the right one from somewhere.

maybe should be 12"?

Bummer-that armalite part number gave me the rainier website and when I called-i got sent the ~15" version.

I think it was this one which is the right price for what I paid and it came as 15"

https://www.rainierarms.com/armalite-ar10-gas-tube-carbine/

this site showed the dimension;

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/lbe-unlimited-ar-10-mid-length-gas-tube-stainless-steel-argt308-765857617589.do?from=Search&amp;cx=0

and when I went direct to the site-they didnt show the dimension, but it was ~$4 cheaper

https://www.lbeunlimited.com/product/argt308/

these guys are out of stock and are apparently the longest with a posted dimension;

https://dsgarms.com/arm10007005

since mine was 11.75, im going to try the 12.06 and leave it at that since the DGS at 12.125 is not available and honestly, may be too long based on a tentative measurement for how far the PSA stuck into the moon.

5 hours ago, panel77 said:

since mine was 11.75, im going to try the 12.06 and leave it at that since the DGS at 12.125 is not available and honestly, may be too long based on a tentative measurement for how far the PSA stuck into the moon.

You have a barrel that has a gas port drilled in it, in a position that the barrel maker thinks is okay for both types of gas tubes.  Your gas port is in your barrel in a "compromise position."  You are correct that the Armalite AR-10 Carbine will extend into the cam pin cutout just slightly more than half way.  If does not interfere with the gas key on the carrier, and will not bottom out in the gas key.

Your other choice is a custom-lengthed gas tube from White Oak Armament.  Thank your barrel maker for following the brilliant idea of a gas port location that is not DPMS-based, and not Armalite-based.  They're the ones that put you in this situation.

5 hours ago, panel77 said:

since the DGS at 12.125 is not available and honestly, may be too long based on a tentative measurement for how far the PSA stuck into the moon.

Your number is off, making it appear even worse.  12.125" would be 12 1/8".  It's not 12 1/8" long - it's 12 1/16" long. 12.0625"...

DErrrrrr.. so what happens when you post late at night with a sick kid, your brain is not connectted.

you are correct!!!

I had Joe Bobs tell me midlength doesnt matter and since its bent, the length isnt precise.

I will wait till rainier gets back to me or call them Monday and see if their midlength is 12 and we can swap back.

otherwise will order from LBE direct and get a stockpile.

BTW-my POS PSA gas tube was INSANELY fouled on the outside on both ends and its got less than 300 through it.

I could get further into this - in using AR15 gas tubes in a .308 AR, and the bend being incorrect, but it's a pain in the ass.  Basically, the bend isn't correct, using an AR15 gas tube on a .308AR.  I posted pics of this awhile ago.  Anytime you're using an AR15 gas tube on a .308AR, you're making a compromise.

It's a height-over-bore thing.

Edited by 98Z5V

and as you so accurately figured out-these guys show their barrel as a 0.082 gas port hole.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/b308msc18110-p

so I went brave and used a 0.080 drill on mine without testing any prior size.

I figure with whatever runout in my drill, im pretty super close to that and under a little is better than the ~0.073 i started with

Edited by panel77
link