• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Completely Off-Topic

Rsquared

I was just watching a video of Major Brian Shul. An Air Force Vietnam pilot.

Oh........and he happen to be an SR-71 Pilot, and this was a pic (what kids would call today a selfie) in his rear view mirror. Why they would have a rear view in the worlds fastest ever plane just makes you laugh.

Bad screen cap, but still a cool picture. Well, at least in my little lizard brain.

Pic taken at mach 3+, by the way. Apparently the major was known for keeping a camera with him. He loves photography. Shocker....especially of fast flying birds. Too fukin cool. Love that aircraft.

100% American. Kelly Johnson and the Lockheed skunkworks at their best.

Carry on.

Major Brian Shul SR-71 Pilot.png

That is a great story. Did you know that the fuel tanks leaked and it was impossible to stop it? I saw a YF12, the fighter prototype of the SR71 close up one time. A very amazing bird. Also the AIM 47 Phoenix that the F14 Tomcat carried, was originally designed for the YF12.

Edited by Sisco

Just now, 308kiwi said:

When we were in New York we went on board the USS Intrepid, there is an SR71 on the flight deck, very freakin cool to walk around it.

Crazy how big they look in pictures - and how small they are in reality...  It's amazing that the front of that thing is just over 6 feet off the ground.  It looks, in pics, like it would be 20 feet off the ground...   Unreal aircraft.

Part of my fascination with them is my work with the predecessor, the U2.  I worked with those things in the early 90s, when they were still flying.

Yeah I was surprised as well, I mean it's big in it's own way but until I saw it in the flesh all I had ever seen was pics and video and yeah that sure doesn't offer scale.

Lots and lots of other very cool aircraft on board as well, including the space shuttle Enterprise, we spent hours looking around, I'm very fortunate to have a wife that loves the same things I do so there was no hurry?

Just now, Armed Eye Doc said:

I was there about 15 years ago. The shuttle was not there.  One of the Concordes was though.  The historic planes in the lower deck were amazing as well.

We were there October 2016, the whole rear of the flight deck is a space museum, the shuttle, a lunar capsule, heaps and heaps of stuff from the space program, just so cool to see it all close up.

shuttle.jpg

shuttle2.jpg

I count myself lucky. The friend of mine, gave me personal tours on weekends throughout their facility before they moved it from Suitland Maryland to Dulles Virginia. Some awesome aircraft from all of the different era's. From the early days in flight, to some modern (for the Smithsonian) birds. We were able to crawl through some of those old warbirds and get the feel of being inside them. Once again. Totally awesome experience. Some of the old WW2 German stuff is amazing when you crawl around in it. Simple....yet totally functional. Brilliance from an engineering design (which I think they were known for).

He even has pictures of him sitting in the blackbird that they received (in the drivers seat of course) as well as the original Enterprise shuttle. They've got so much cool $hit that it can't be summed up in a couple of paragraphs. They've still got the original Apollo "suits" in an area that's sealed off from everything. WAY FUKIN COOL!

I'd love to hear the back-story on this SR-71 deal, right here...  :laffs:

As a former USAF C-130 crew dog, I can really appreciate the humor in this. Especially, the Navy must die now comment! I still remember hearing a story of a

SR71 crew coming out of altitude requesting flight level 600 (60,000 ft). You could almost hear the snicker from the controller saying, "copy, climb to and maintain flight level 600". "Negative", the crew replied, "we are descending to flight level 600". I'm sure it's not true but it's still pretty funny.

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

That is a great story. Did you know that the fuel tanks leaked and it was impossible to stop it? I saw a YF12, the fighter prototype of the SR71 close up one time. A very amazing bird. Also the AIM 47 Phoenix that the F14 Tomcat carried, was originally designed for the YF12.

I understood they leaked static but which flying everything expanded and they no longer leaked 

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Crazy how big they look in pictures - and how small they are in reality...  It's amazing that the front of that thing is just over 6 feet off the ground.  It looks, in pics, like it would be 20 feet off the ground...   Unreal aircraft.

Part of my fascination with them is my work with the predecessor, the U2.  I worked with those things in the early 90s, when they were still flying.

Met a guy on a forum for my tl1000r he’s maybe a little younger than you, in the army, His first wife was a u2 pilot. that place was a lot like this forum. He bought an 88 mustang convertible on eBay, didn’t realize it needed to be picked up a month before he got home from Iraq. I went and picked it up for him stored it at my parents, Fun fucking car!!!

22 minutes ago, washguy said:

U2's still be flying brother...they are bad azz     https://www.usni.org/u-2s-still-flying-high

Wash

Oh, I know, brother.  They're invaluable in South Korea, not looking at South Korea....  I made a call every morning down to them, based on predicted weather, telling them what sensor package to fly that day.    :thumbup: