• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Subsonic suppressed 308AR

308kiwi

IT WORKS, just put 40 rounds through it, cycles and locks the bolt to the rear on last round, I am soooooooooooooo farkin excited, almost no recoil.

I've run out of loaded ammo, couldn't help myself :laffs:shot it all before I thought to grab a camera, about to go and load some more up, will try to get some video footage tomorrow and post it.

Oh boy this is going to be a fun toy.

sub 308.jpg

Here ya go, 10 rounds of 190gr sub sonic 308, averaged 1019fps over the chrono, and as you can see the bolt locked to the rear on the last round,  the brass was almost in one little  pile about 5 feet away from me

PSD brass, Fiocchi large rifle primers, 10gr IMR Trail Boss 190gr Berger HPBT

Had to do nothing to the lower, ie has the same 308 buffer and spring that I have been using for both my 308 and 243 uppers, BCG is std Aero M5.

The barrel, like I posted at the beginning of this thread, 14", 1:10 twist, std 308 chamber, pistol length gas tube fitted into a Syrac adj gas block, (that I haven't had to adjust, it's fully open), gas port is at .110"

Target is seven rounds @ 50yards.

This is seriously fun to shoot, lovin it:cool::fullauto:

sub 308 target.jpg

1 hour ago, 308kiwi said:

Here ya go, 10 rounds of 190gr sub sonic 308, averaged 1019fps over the chrono, and as you can see the bolt locked to the rear on the last round,  the brass was almost in one little  pile about 5 feet away from me

Fuckin' AWESOME!  I've loaded up some (supersonic) Hornady 195gr ELD-M projectiles in .308 Win loads for the 20" bolt gun, which is a 1:10" twist - and the barrel has ZERO problems stabilizing those at longer distances.  I've said for a long time that the typical .308 loads we have are all shiit - ALL the bullets need to be WAY heavier.  The twist rate is already there, with 1:10".  That twist can handle up to 210gr easily, and handle the loads/projectiles.  You start looking at the BCs of .308 projectiles, and it doesn't get serious under 178gr.  Things REALLY start to get interesting ABOVE that weight.  That's the very reason I won't load anything UNDER 178gr Hornady HPBT for my loads.

You have hit a good combination, my good man.  :hail:

1 hour ago, 308kiwi said:

As you and I both know, @308kiwi, it's a sectional density thing.  You get that .308 projectile at or above a 178gr projectile, and the sectional density goes through the roof, incrementally - that's what makes an accurate bullet.   :thumbup:

Go fat, guys - that's where it's at...  I kid you not.  There's alot more coming up about my 195s in a .308 Win distance loading...  

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

As you and I both know, @308kiwi, it's a sectional density thing.  You get that .308 projectile at or above a 178gr projectile, and the sectional density goes through the roof, incrementally - that's what makes an accurate bullet.   :thumbup:

Yep, couldn't agree more, The lightest I load now for 308 is 175gr, have boxes and boxes of 135, 155, gathering dust.

I have a mate who swages projectiles as a bit of a hobby business, the lightest .30 he makes is 165gr, he's trying to source longer jackets at the moment so he can get into the 200+ range.