• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Talk me into your favorite riflescope for 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun

carverelli

I built my first big AR this winter. I also have an ar15  I built 15 years ago. Overtime is coming as we finish building a new French fry plant for Lamb Weston in the Pacific  northwest....so money isn't a huge hurdle. I dont mind throwing down the duckets if indeed it's what I want and it does the job. 

I'd like to be able to have reticle set up in yards for my ballistics or some kind of drop compensating marks. I know nightforce has something close because I set up one for my dads 338 ultra mag. There are about 8 different reticles with set ballistics. 

Also looking  at Vortex but honestly dont know anything about them. They can run over 2k as well. And it looks life they have some kind of trajectory help reticles too.

Are there any websites that can help educate me and sort of coach me towards what I want/need.

You'll have been a wealth of knowledge for me as I've  built this creedmoor. Even down to the double rifle soft case

Btw...ranges, I'm hoping will be out around 1000 yards at the very most. And 2-300 on the short side. I may even get to see some prairie dog shooting around 1/2 mile. 

It probably most shoots will be at steel or paper instead of animals. Although I'd love to take out a 'yote after he's ran off from seeing the truck and then slowing down and ultimately stopping after he figured he was safe

Shiit, this is easy.  Hit up the Primary Arms 6/5C scope,with BDC.  Done deal.

Show me another scope that 6/5C specific.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-3-18x50mm-illuminated-ffp-rifle-scope-with-acss-apollo-6-5cm-reticle

I gave you mad details on this thing in this thread of yours:

Next...

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm  not totally sold on primary arms. I mean ...crap! I've never even heard of them until you mentioned them in that thread a few weeks ago. Unless  a scope has a 10 or 20 year track record and backs up warranty issues. I'd have to see if touch it feel it. And even then I'd be hesitant to throw down part of a paycheck.

I'm  not in any dissing you so I hope you haven't gone there. 

7 minutes ago, carverelli said:

I'm  not totally sold on primary arms. I mean ...crap! I've never even heard of them until you mentioned them in that thread a few weeks ago. Unless  a scope has a 10 or 20 year track record and backs up warranty issues. I'd have to see if touch it feel it. And even then I'd be hesitant to throw down part of a paycheck.

I'm  not in any dissing you so I hope you haven't gone there. 

I've been using them for 10 years.  I've never had to send anything back to them.  Not once. I'll have to count how many optics I have from them, because I have no idea.  I'll bet it's close to 15.

I have one of their red dots on my 45/70, just so I could see how long it would take to kill the red dot.  800 rounds in, it's alive. That is STOUT recoil, and I never imagined it would make it - and it's WAY not in their warranty to do that.  So, it's alive...  

You do what you want.  I told you the best scope for your 6/5C.  I'm putting that same scope on my .260 Rem.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

9 minutes ago, carverelli said:

I'm  not totally sold on primary arms. I mean ...crap! I've never even heard of them until you mentioned them in that thread a few weeks ago.

I just want to touch on this, for other readers - someone's recommendation for a product is one thing - your lack of knowledge on a product is another.  If you've never heard of a product that's been out there for two months or 10 years - that's not on the person that recommended it. That's on you.  Just because "you didn't know" or "you didn't hear" doesn't mean anything... Get educated.  Look for reviews online (everywhere, EVERYWHERE, these days).

If you don't know about something, they get yourself EDUCATED, and put some of your own time into the research on products.

Specifically for carverelli:  I handled that new 6/5C scope a few weeks ago, and it delivers.  You don't have to take my word for it, though.  My basis for evaluating PA scopes is deep with experience with them - even if you've never heard of them.

In a direct quote from you, I hope the same:

I'm  not in any dissing you

so I hope you haven't gone there. 

"Look for reviews online (everywhere, EVERYWHERE, these days)."

True, but you still have to weed thru the BS and nonsense when it comes to on-line reviews for many products.  I see products all the time that should be rated at 5+ stars getting 2's and 3's from folks.  However, when you start reading those "low" reviews it doesn't take one or two lines before you realize that those folks need to keep their day jobs and stay the hell out of whatever hobby they were messing with and giving excellent parts low ratings......FWIW.

I shoot Vortex not the best not the worst by far but best bang for your buck I shoot a Vortex Viper HS-T 6x24x50 30 mm tube it just flat out works have done 30 inch ladder test passed A+ I have probably 350 rds with it dialing up dialing down zero stop is perfect have it mounted on a Larue 111 removable mount and it too is like all Larue stuff awesome and I shoot 6.5 CM out to 1250I am pretty good to 800 4 out of 5 hits on a 8 inch plate after that it is me reading wind that need practice the scope works comes with everything you need and a Life time no questions asked Guarantee... now what do I win?

21 hours ago, carverelli said:

Btw...ranges, I'm hoping will be out around 1000 yards at the very most. And 2-300 on the short side. I may even get to see some prairie dog shooting around 1/2 mile. 

It probably most shoots will be at steel or paper instead of animals. Although I'd love to take out a 'yote after he's ran off from seeing the truck and then slowing down and ultimately stopping after he figured he was safe

1 hour ago, carverelli said:

$2500

Are you hooked on a BDC setup?  You want something in mils or MOA, specifically, and will run your drop in mils or MOA at distance? 

I'll take BDC all day long, when it works for my load. Estimate the range and shoot - nothing is faster, once you know the reticle.   I won't hesitate to run mils on other cartridges, though.  I run mils on 300BLK, 25/45 and Grendel.  Running mils on the .260.  I'm comfortable enough with each of them, for their drop at distance, that I can "BDC" the mill drop right in the reticle for medium ranges (600-ish yards for some, 800-ish yards for others).

That will be a determining factor.  I have something in half your budget that is very, very good.  However, my original recommendation for that cartridge still stands.  PA 6/5C scope.  For the cost of it, and the performance you're gonna get out of it, you can't go wrong, definitely.

This was a brand new Grendel build, no rounds through it.  12 rounds to re-zero the PA mil-dot scope I raided from the 25/45, 10 rounds of confirmation on steel at 100, and it went right to 500 yards.  Here's the confirmation target at 100 - rounds in the mouth:

P1060931.JPG

Here's the 500.  Round #23 was a first round hit, low right.  The next one was confirmation.  Slight sight shift, and 8 more.  That's just holding the mils, not dialing the scope in. 3.7 mils at 500 was my calculation, so I held about 3 3/4 mils.  Bang, done deal.

P1060939.JPG

P1060935.JPG

Need to know your preferences, now that the budget was revealed.  By the way, that's a $225 PA scope there. Rifle on the right did the shooting, with the 16" barrel.  Same exact PA scope on the rifle on the left, the 18" Grendel.  They're both lasers.  :thumbup:

P1060945.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Here's the PA 4-14 ACSS HUD DMR 308 scope, on my Rem 700 AAC-SD bolt gun, shooting elevated shots at distance - Matt literally handed me the gun, and I shot it.  When he handed it to me, I had to ask him if it was already chambered...    Climbed the hill.  Sight through scope, estimate range, quick mental calculation on the elevation difference vs. observed distance - bang, hit.  That's what a BDC scope can do for you.  Or, just plain mils or MOA, with practice on them.  BDC isn't mandatory- but it's quicker, when you know it.

I apologize if my post made me sound lazy. I dont mind spending time (when i get some) doing research on glass. The problem is so many things have changed since Ive shot much. The last LR gun I made and spent any time with was a 6mmx284 winchester. Huge 30" lilia barrel I put a 12x42 benchrest nightforce scope on it. Still have the scope and gun...that project was around 2004. 

Now there's so many  changes since then. New calibers new bullets and powders. New scope manufactures etc etc. 

I was just hoping for a shortcut to see what's the hot reticle type and ways to make precise longer shots. The old ways were either mildot  holdover or clicking up the elevation knob on your chosen scope. The issue being 1mil was 3.6 inches@ 100 yards and the turret graduation are minute of angle.

I think I even have an old mildot master around somewhere. It seems as far as technology has come there has to be a quicker easier way. 

I didnt want to put anyone off by the 2500 limit on the scope. I'd cringe paying that much but I would if I was convinced that scope would allow be to add stretch the 6.5 CM legs.

I'll have time Saturday to do more studying

Thanks again for all the help

12 hours ago, carverelli said:

I apologize if my post made me sound lazy. I dont mind spending time (when i get some) doing research on glass. The problem is so many things have changed since Ive shot much. The last LR gun I made and spent any time with was a 6mmx284 winchester. Huge 30" lilia barrel I put a 12x42 benchrest nightforce scope on it. Still have the scope and gun...that project was around 2004. 

Now there's so many  changes since then. New calibers new bullets and powders. New scope manufactures etc etc. 

I was just hoping for a shortcut to see what's the hot reticle type and ways to make precise longer shots. The old ways were either mildot  holdover or clicking up the elevation knob on your chosen scope. The issue being 1mil was 3.6 inches@ 100 yards and the turret graduation are minute of angle.

I think I even have an old mildot master around somewhere. It seems as far as technology has come there has to be a quicker easier way. 

I didnt want to put anyone off by the 2500 limit on the scope. I'd cringe paying that much but I would if I was convinced that scope would allow be to add stretch the 6.5 CM legs.

I'll have time Saturday to do more studying

Thanks again for all the help

It's not lazy, man, not at all.  In reference to mils, most scopes now have turret clicks on 0.1 mil increments (0.36" @ 100 yards), third of an inch is easy to calculate in your head.  500 is 1 2/3 per click, five thirds.  The math goes well, but not like MOA and 1/4".  Just make sure you look at the turret markings and the reticle, make sure they match.  There are several scopes out there that are mil turrets and MOA reticle, or vice versa.  Might have mildots in the reticle, and 1/4 MOa clicks on the turrets.  That just sucks.

I will say this, though - don't ignore a modern scope just because of the price on it  - there are very, very good scopes out there that do not have the price of a NightForce, S&B, USO, etc.  Athlon is another company that's just killin' the scope market, and not charging you the price of a good used vehicle...

Edited by 98Z5V

I know what you mean about moa turrets with mildot reticles. I never understood the logic there. I really like nice sharp clear glass. Years ago I spent several days burning out my barrel in a 220swift slaying prairie dogs. Leopold vari x-3 scope and I believe my 25-06 had a Burris signature series. 

Looking through those lenses all can be brutal without decent glass. My hunting scopes just need to maintain a zero take a fall and not fog up.

The day is coming where we can upload our ballistics into a smart scope with a built in laser rangefinder. Push the 'range' button and then the rezero- then send it!

1 minute ago, carverelli said:

The day is coming where we can upload our ballistics into a smart scope with a built in laser rangefinder. Push the 'range' button and then the rezero- then send it!

That day is already here.  that product is out there, right now...  

21 minutes ago, carverelli said:

I know what you mean about moa turrets with mildot reticles. I never understood the logic there.

I may be way off here but here's my $.02 worth; distance measurements with mils is mathematically easier, thus a Mil-Dot reticle for distance calculation. On the other hand, ballistics data has traditionally been taught and primarily charted in MOA, thus corresponding windage and elevation controls.

For sure there is some pretty cool chit on the market far as scopes are concerned.  I have a couple here with the quick adjust turrets and have played around some with that deal but our range is limited to about 500 yards so knowing my sight dope is equally as effective as having BDC capabilities, I just hold over when needed and crank the rounds right where they need to be.

For my hunting rifles, especially those I take out West for big game, size and weight are a primary concern.  When you are running around like a Gazelle chasing Elk all over the Mountain at 12,000' the last thing I want is a huge scope on my rifle and the extra weight/bulk that goes with it.

In the twenty something years I've been going out there can't remember a single trip where I didn't have at least one hard fall.  I have always managed to protect the scope but we had one friend nearly amputate his scope off the rifle when he was thrown from his horse into some rocks.  Pretty much ruined his trip as his rifle was without back-up sights and we were half a days ride in from the nearest road.

I carried a Marlin model 1895 until two years ago when I switched over to the AR-308 platform.  My 45/70 was topped with a Leupold 1-4 VX-3, the 308 is topped with a Leupold 2-7.  Small, simple and rugged.  We shoot from 25 out to 400 yards before we leave.  On the AR platform the 308 round is all over an Elk with zero holdover out to 300 yards.  The high distance from centerline from the barrel to the scope helps that deal some.  You just have to be aware that a high holdover at 100 yards can put the bullet pretty far over the line of sight in the mid-range until it falls back to Earth a bit.

In all the years I've been going out there we've been pretty successful, but I can only remember one scenario where I had legal bulls just walking out in the open and staying there long enough for me to work some turrets and zero in on them before they moved back into the thick timber.

Matter of fact all the encounters I've had with legal bulls have been quick, moving fast, and so thick you could barely crawl thru the undergrowth, and never over about 80 yards.  I still love to watch the hunting channel where they are zeroing in on bulls at 800 yards or so and they hang around long enough to make a half hour show out of it.  That NEVER happens on the Public land I've had access to in the last two decades, so thoughts of laser guided scopes with BDC's have never even been a topic of discussion in camp.

I switched over to the AR platform predominantly to have a 100 percent weatherproof platform and super-quick follow up shots, just wished these rifles were about 5 pounds lighter!........Cliff

8 hours ago, RAM2940 said:

Check out sig sauer BDX scope package

That looks pretty neato....go go gadget!

I bet it works great right up until it doesn't.

I'd like to know if and when the app goes away or your phone is too old to support the program....then what? Is there an actual  crosshair that moves with manual clicks from a turret. 

If the battery dies and the picture tube is junk, do I have to sharpen my scope to a razor's edge and use it to kill my quarry?

Serious question