Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
SimonSays

I can finally contribute

Recommended Posts

Hello all.

Until I discovered things that go BOOM, my most expensive hobby was Ham Radio. Early in Obama's first term, the gun ban/grab scare hit me hard. I went to a local gun show and bought the only 308 AR I could find. A RRA LR-8. I also picked up 500 rounds of 147 gr FMJ rounds. They were in 5 round stripper clips, had the NATO mark on the head and I have no idea who made them. I also found a HI-LUX M-1000 auto ranging scope. I thought that would be perfect since I had no idea how to shoot long range or short range for that matter. So, for around $2,300 I walked out all pleased with my self. I went home and promptly put it all in my closet and forgot about it. About 5 years ago a  "prepper" asked a question on a radio site about what radio he should get for a EOTWAWKI situation. He was tired of doing research and didn't want to get a FCC License because he didn't "want to be on a list". He just wanted to be told what damn radio to buy. Well, I composed a really long snarky reply about how getting a radio and not being able to transmit with it, to learn how radio actually worked, was an unintelligent move. With a chest swelled with self righteous pride, I was just about to hit the send button when it hit me. I'm doing the exact same thing, but with a firearm. Crap. I didn't send it.

So, I dug out the old rifle and stared at it. I didn't even know how to load it. I had no idea what any of the parts were. All fail. So I read the instructions. That was a good start, but I really needed to know how this thing works. Internet time. After a lot of sites filled with gun snobs, I found yours. Thank GOD! I've spent years reading this site every day. I have learned so much. I never thought I would be able to contribute anything, but I signed up about 2 years ago anyway. At last, someone ask a question that I had a suggestion for that no one else supplied.

Carverelli, look under General Discussion- Talk me into your favorite riflescope for 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun. I have a suggestion for you. I'll post it ASAP. Now all I have to do is figure out how.

Thank you, all you gurus on this site. You'll never know what a tremendous job you have done educating me.

Edited by SimonSays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum officially.  I thought I felt someone standing in the corner and not saying anything over the last couple of years. :laffs:

I also have a RRA LAR8.  It is a great shooter.  Try some 168gr or 175gr match ammo in it.  There is a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, y'll. I love the RRA, however, the little lady could stand to go on a diet. She tips the scales around 14.5 lbs. (I think. Its been awhile since I weighed her). I've only put one box of 168 gr thru her. I've just started reloading and I've put about 50 165 gr Hornady SST's thru her too. She likes those. I haven't tried the 175's yet but its on the list. Mrs. Santa brought me a LabRadar for christmas. I love that girl. I'm planning to load a lot of differant stuff this spring and summer. I've shot up all the 147 stuff just to figure out what I'm doing. Getting better. Now is the time to up my game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome from San Diego. Glad you're out in the open - hang around a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She don't need a diet. You just need a sexier and slightly smaller girlfriend to keep on the side. One that cooks, and one that...well...is just a little easier to toss around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DNP said:

She don't need a diet. You just need a sexier and slightly smaller girlfriend to keep on the side. One that cooks, and one that...well...is just a little easier to toss around. 

I agree with this statement!!!! Welcome aboard. I joined here in ‘09 and glean info every day here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the talking side of things. Like some of the Brothers inferred above, she doesn’t need to go on a diet. She just needs a shorter, lighter, handier sister for when you go out in the field. One is never enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome from Indiana brother I have the Standard Operator 20" HBAR carbine stock w/ Slash buffer and spring. Eats all ammo milsurp, factory. I have a few FAL metal mags. As a lefty total ambi control, love it. I also has a Battle Comp compensator for muzzle device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I have the Standard A4. I’ve added the Tro FF Rail, SLR low profile adjustable GB. I still have the A2 stock. I’m still running the M1000 scope. It’s developed 3 flat spots in the cam section of the scope. I “NEED” to replace it. I almost purchased the PA 4-14 with the MOA reticle today. Then I noticed they are bringing back the R-Grid in Meal-Dots. Now I have to make a decision. I have a cheepo Caldwell Tripod. That’s going to get upgraded to a Magpul. After that, we’ll its funny everyone mentioned that I could use a newer, sexier playmate. I remember reading about ARTroopers 260 Rem build and thinking, “What the hell is that?” Then I read bfoosh006’s PSA build. That was inspirational. If he had a problem, he just fixed it. Then I read 98Z5V’s 260 Rem build. Light bulbs are going off. My wife has a POS Rossi single shot combo for 243/22 LR/20 Ga. I hate it, she loves it. What can I do? I load 243 for her, 308 for me. Instead of that 6.5 C that caught my eye, why not a 260 Rem?  I have tons of brass I could use. So, I’ll get the LAR-8 up to speed, than that 260’s goin’ happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Welcome to the participation side of the forums! I love our lurkers, but the participators bring home the beef.

What he said! Welcome from Wisconsin, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SimonSays said:

 Light bulbs are going off. My wife has a POS Rossi single shot combo for 243/22 LR/20 Ga. I hate it, she loves it. What can I do? I load 243 for her, 308 for me. Instead of that 6.5 C that caught my eye, why not a 260 Rem?  I have tons of brass I could use. So, I’ll get the LAR-8 up to speed, than that 260’s goin’ happen. 

And then?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon, just remember, there are plenty of places to join in on conversation without having much experience at all. They still keep me around. lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

And then?????

? sorry, I’m easily distracted. So, I buy 3 80% lowers when whoever has a sale again. I build that 260 for her, using some lame excuse like,” it’s not as heavy as that 308 and it kicks a lot less. You’ll love it” When she picks it up, it will be too heavy but she’ll like the lighter recoil. I’ll say, “ ok, I have 2 more lowers, I’ll make you a 243 that you like with a thin barrel that will weigh next to nothing”. I get 2 more rifles that I like, she gets one she’s happy with. And I have one more lower.  Win, win. I mean, what could possibly go wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SimonSays said:

Thanks everyone. I have the Standard A4. I’ve added the Tro FF Rail, SLR low profile adjustable GB. I still have the A2 stock. I’m still running the M1000 scope. It’s developed 3 flat spots in the cam section of the scope. I “NEED” to replace it. I almost purchased the PA 4-14 with the MOA reticle today. Then I noticed they are bringing back the R-Grid in Meal-Dots. Now I have to make a decision. I have a cheepo Caldwell Tripod. That’s going to get upgraded to a Magpul. After that, we’ll its funny everyone mentioned that I could use a newer, sexier playmate. I remember reading about ARTroopers 260 Rem build and thinking, “What the hell is that?” Then I read bfoosh006’s PSA build. That was inspirational. If he had a problem, he just fixed it. Then I read 98Z5V’s 260 Rem build. Light bulbs are going off. My wife has a POS Rossi single shot combo for 243/22 LR/20 Ga. I hate it, she loves it. What can I do? I load 243 for her, 308 for me. Instead of that 6.5 C that caught my eye, why not a 260 Rem?  I have tons of brass I could use. So, I’ll get the LAR-8 up to speed, than that 260’s goin’ happen. 

Why did you put an adjustable gas block on a LAR8 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a get a spare $1k, I want a suppressor. Sometime, in the future, wait, wait wait. I really should have waited until after I have a suppressor to see if I needed one, but when I get to ordering online, that mouse just clicks itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

giphy.gif

LOL. I hope so my man. I’ve seen what you can do with a hunk of steel. That bipod adaptor you made was awesome. I can work wood, but nowhere near as well as you work metal. Very nice job. 

 

3 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Welcome from Indiana brother I have the Standard Operator 20" HBAR carbine stock w/ Slash buffer and spring. Eats all ammo milsurp, factory. I have a few FAL metal mags. As a lefty total ambi control, love it. I also has a Battle Comp compensator for muzzle device.

I forgot to say I have a Mad Dog Weapons System hybrid muzzle device. It keeps the muzzle rise down but it’s not much for recoil reduction. But it does what I want it to do, so for now, I’m keeping it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...