Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Exhail

Bore snakes: There is a method

Recommended Posts

Came across this video today about how to properly use a bore snake. I didn't realize there was a proper method. I really like these. So quick and easy. I've been using CLP, so I just soak the beginning and the end of the snake. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really like them too. Great for a quick cleaning after caustic ammo. We always keep some Windex and a bore snake in the Mosin ammo can if we're shooting surplus stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Exhail said:

Came across this video today about how to properly use a bore snake. I didn't realize there was a proper method. I really like these. So quick and easy. I've been using CLP, so I just soak the beginning and the end of the snake. 

 

same here i dislike cleaning shits but once a year or really dirty shits when needed? bore snake is every time i go to the range..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of them for actual cleaning but I do pull one through after getting it out of the case at the range or in the field, positive confirmation of no bore obstruction or too much oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also am not a fan , I had a guy at Hunt Camp a couple years ago ask me if I wanted to use his after a day in the field to wipe my Barrel , one look at it , it looked like he had been cleaning his chimney with it . I looked at him & said , I like to put clean Patches through my Barrel & don't need anyone else's crud put down mine . Even when guys clean theirs , they still look dirty , who knows what is not removed from that Snake ! 

Otis !:thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 6:05 AM, jtallen83 said:

Not a fan of them for actual cleaning but I do pull one through after getting it out of the case at the range or in the field, positive confirmation of no bore obstruction or too much oil.

 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, survivalshop said:

I also am not a fan , I had a guy at Hunt Camp a couple years ago ask me if I wanted to use his after a day in the field to wipe my Barrel , one look at it , it looked like he had been cleaning his chimney with it . I looked at him & said , I like to put clean Patches through my Barrel & don't need anyone else's crud put down mine . Even when guys clean theirs , they still look dirty , who knows what is not removed from that Snake ! 

Otis !:thumbup:

 

As these gents stated and the same thing I used to teach in my classes... 

 

The snake is good for a quick wipe when your in the field... BUT... nothing will replace a good cleaning with the proper tools.

If your going to put that much time and money building or purchasing a rifle, why be a cheap ass when it comes time to taking care of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I'm not a fan,  they have their place.  Some guys won't clean their guns,  perhaps a simple way will allow them to get some cleaning in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Bore Snakes routinely.  They're great - for getting that buildup of high-round count shooting out of the gun. Awesome.  They're also great for getting that oil-or-whatever-shiit out of a new barrel, so you can see what the barrel really looks like with a digital bore scope.  I use them routinely, across multiple calibers - 5.56, .308, and 6.5mm.  I have brushes, patches, rods, cables, and all that other shiit, too.  Different games for different people, but Bore Snakes are far from being "a useless item." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you clean bore snakes? Do you ever clean a bore snake? All the way?

I'm not here to argue; but I've always cleaned patch at a time. Patch cleaning is not finished until they are come out clean (twice?).

We can wax ecstatic about how a bit of grit is useful; but I'm curious about real purity....

How clean is your bore snake? Can I lick it? Eat off of it?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 11:18 PM, 98Z5V said:

I use the Bore Snakes routinely.  They're great - for getting that buildup of high-round count shooting out of the gun. Awesome.  They're also great for getting that oil-or-whatever-shiit out of a new barrel, so you can see what the barrel really looks like with a digital bore scope.  I use them routinely, across multiple calibers - 5.56, .308, and 6.5mm.  I have brushes, patches, rods, cables, and all that other shiit, too.  Different games for different people, but Bore Snakes are far from being "a useless item." 

I use them and have tools.

I think I'll toss it before I wash it, but it's a good idea if the wife doesn't flip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...