• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stuff gun manufacturers make besides guns.

Ravenworks

Winchester had a hardware store chain in the 1920's. Supplied all kinds of sporting goods, household items, and a large selection of tools all marked Winchester. I have a few tucked away at home but no pictures with me. One of my favorites is an Old Trusty saw that has an etch of a man riding a horse with his lever action rifle. 

A brief overview of the history;

http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/cowans_corner0807.htm

E. Remington and Sons  was a manufacturer of firearms and typewriters,agricultural implements and sewing machines at various points of Remington's history.

As a side note I have a Savage( US manufacture 1941-44) Lee Enfield #4 MK1(British design) for Canadian and British troops. Ironically due to US law I cannot bring it with me into the USA. :embarrassed:

12 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

Gun manufacturers often made other products during the WWW II era.

I think your statement is directly backwards, especially in reference to WWII. 

Other companies, that had nothing to do with guns, rearranged their hardware manufacturing facilities - in order to produce guns for WWII.  Support for the country.

Gun manufacturers didn't have any - ANY - time during WWII to manufacturer ANYTHING but guns.  They didn't make anything else, during WWII - but maybe they did afterwards, when the war ended.

Other companies that started making gun parts - DURING WWII - were Rockola (juke boxes), IBM (typewriters) and Singer (sewing machines).  They all made M1 Carbine parts.

Every part of this country, during WWII, supported the war effort,and changed direction in what they did  - in order to support the war effort.

Gun companies and manufacturers didn't have time, during WWII, to do anything else than what they made - and they were so behind that other manufacturing companies stepped in.

14 minutes ago, Swiftab said:

I worked for Rochester Products in the 80's, in Rochester NY, and we used to go into the tunnels under the plant.  (They made Rochester Carburetors for GM).  The tunnels were used to test 50 caliber machine guns.  Since production cars were not produced, the extra machine capacity was used for guns.

Hell yeah, that was "America coming together" during that war.  We'll likely never see that again, in our lives.  That was a country coming together for a common goal - work for the Warfighters, that's the number one priority. What an amazing generation.

Can you imagine someone applying for a dig license these days, to build "testing tunnels," in New York, with the stated purpose of "testing 50 Caliber machineguns..."... 

FBI, Red Flag laws, neighbors telling stories, Libs protesting, Gen Pop (Sheeple) just losing their minds over it...

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

International Harvester made the M1 Garand 

Dad has one as well.

The Hoover vacuum company made bombs and fuses here in N Canton Ohio.

As for having it backwards,you are correct.

You have to understand I've had a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD YEAR.

Edited by Ravenworks

39 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

Got it, understand.  Several of us here have had a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD YEAR before, or more than one.

That doesn't mean you can dowhat you want, say what you want, and not be challenged for bullshiit that you say or do.

That make sense?  If you want slack, cut the rope.

57 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

Dad has one as well.

The Hoover vacuum company made bombs and fuses here in N Canton Ohio.

Colour me confused, not sure on the connection to my statement other than your Dad having one, lucky man.

I hope the use of the word 'had' means things are getting better.

9 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Colour me confused, not sure on the connection to my statement other than your Dad having one, lucky man.

I hope the use of the word 'had' means things are getting better.

Yes, I meant my father had a M1 made by IH, my only regret was I wished I was older when he parted with it.

Most people look at you like an alien when you tell them about it.

For the most part people don't realize the value of things in current time.

Yes "had"means getting better, but its been a long hual.

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

John Garand born in Quebec. Thanks Canada 😊  best rifle ever . 

H&R barrel dated 11/55 close to my birthday. Was a CMP rifle. I traded a RRA Coyote for it.

None of which would not have happened without learning the tool and die trade in the USA and Springfield

Here is Garand with the T31 bullpup he was working on in the late 40s

0917c_jpg633536159065154061-tfb.jpg

12 hours ago, unforgiven said:

H&R barrel dated 11/55 close to my birthday. Was a CMP rifle. I traded a RRA Coyote for it.

That was a good trade.

IH was just another company with the tooling and know how helping the war effort.

If we had to spool up for a war todsy I'd take 5 years.

We'd never win a full on brawl like the Pacific in today's game

Edited by Ravenworks

On 8/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, unforgiven said:

BSA's and Triumphs and throw in a Norton, bad fukin ass. The electrical sucked... good time's

Lucas Electric is not called "The Prince of Darkness'" for nothing.  🙂😄😄

https://jalopnik.com/joe-lucas-prince-of-darkness-british-electrical-syste-399791

Edited by TeleStratMan

2 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Hahaha Lucas's had a rep and it wasn't good..

All joking aside the Brits have given us some great inventions such as the RR Merlin V12 Engine -

The Jet Engine - [Frank Whittle - His design and idea]  WWII Germans built first operational Jet Engine

The most widely used turbo-prop engine-  PRATT & WHITNEY PT-6 - [Mr Gordon Hardy- via Canada] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN1_OkvwEXI

• 3 weeks later...