• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Adamc55

Trouble with .308 not cycling properly

You're in the middle of the range, and your gun isn't running right.  Did you replace that gas tube yet?  That's another contributing factor.  It's WAY too short, and it's cutting your gas timing short. 

20190910_160910.jpg

You can piece-meal this thing any way you want to, or you can listen to what I'm saying about your gun.  Your recoil system is FINE, with the Sprinco Orange spring.  It's not the problem, and the more you fuk with the recoil system, the more you're only putting the band-aid on the wrong cut.  Your gas system is what needs the work here.  That gas tube you have now has to go.  You need proper gas timing, period.  Gas tube length is what determines proper gas timing.  You're in the middle of the range I gave you, at 0.093". I stated that you need something between 0.090" and 0.095".  All barrels are different, unless they're specifically hand-made match barrels from the very same barrel maker (same person, not company). My factory barrel might run all my ammo fine with a 0.090" gas port, but your same-company barrel might need a 0.093" or a 0.095" to run the same ammo I'm running, in the same conditions...

You might still need to drill that gas port up one size or two.  Fuk it, live dangerous - you already have an adjustable gas block that doesn't help you at all, so use what you paid for - use the adjustable gas block...  Drill your gas port to 0.100" and be done with it, then tune the gas block down.

First thing you need to do is get that gas tube out of there, and get a gas tube that will at least come to the center of the cam pin cutout in your upper receiver. 

You can listen or not, but if your choice is to just keep changing parts, hoping something works, then I'll just sit back and watch what happens.  I've given you the information that I know, so do with it what you want.

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're in the middle of the range, and your gun isn't running right.  Did you replace that gas tube yet?  That's another contributing factor.  It's WAY too short, and it's cutting your gas timing short. 

20190910_160910.jpg

You can piece-meal this thing any way you want to, or you can listen to what I'm saying about your gun.  Your recoil system is FINE, with the Sprinco Orange spring.  It's not the problem, and the more you fuk with the recoil system, the more you're only putting the band-aid on the wrong cut.  Your gas system is what needs the work here.  That gas tube you have now has to go.  You need proper gas timing, period.  Gas tube length is what determines proper gas timing.  You're in the middle of the range I gave you, at 0.093". I stated that you need something between 0.090" and 0.095".  All barrels are different, unless they're specifically hand-made match barrels from the very same barrel maker (same person, not company). My factory barrel might run all my ammo fine with a 0.090" gas port, but your same-company barrel might need a 0.093" or a 0.095" to run the same ammo I'm running, in the same conditions...

You might still need to drill that gas port up one size or two.  Fuk it, live dangerous - you already have an adjustable gas block that doesn't help you at all, so use what you paid for - use the adjustable gas block...  Drill your gas port to 0.100" and be done with it, then tune the gas block down.

First thing you need to do is get that gas tube out of there, and get a gas tube that will at least come to the center of the cam pin cutout in your upper receiver. 

You can listen or not, but if your choice is to just keep changing parts, hoping something works, then I'll just sit back and watch what happens.  I've given you the information that I know, so do with it what you want.

We didn't get back until 9pm last night so I only had time to disassemble everything after my kids went to bed. The new Armalite gas tube is at my brother in law's house and I'll be picking it up this morning, old one is already out and on the bench.

New Armalite gas tube is installed. I'm going to test it before I drill out the gas port more, as I didn't have the proper bit on hand. When I put the bolt in it wouldn't go into battery, the gas tube was stopping it. However after working the action a few times it seems to fully seat now.

20190921_093532.jpg

1 hour ago, Adamc55 said:

the gas tube was stopping it.

Is it square in the upper when you look down on it in the upper? Maybe riding on a bit of the barrel nut? I had the same thing on a build, couldn't see any issues and it hasn't ended up with any uneven wear at the gas key interface, 🤔

One step at a time just like you are is the route to go, you'll be dialed in properly soon :thumbup: