Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Secondwind

AR-10 frankenstein

Recommended Posts

New guy here from California, hoping for some direction. I have a Noveske N6 gen 1 upper, AR-10B pattern. Not too many Noveske gen 1 N6 lowers in the wild up for grabs. I have a smith who said he could mill the stop shelves out of the upper making it compatible with a dpms pattern lower and to accept dpms mags. I'm curious if anyone has tried this or heard of it being done and also if any input as to what lower would fit this modified Noveske N6 gen 1/AR-10B series upper. Any ideas are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do it, you can get an Aero M5 receiver set for under $250 on most weeks, blem sets even cheaper. Why chance not finding a good fit when a matched set can be had. I would offer to swap the Noveske for an Aero upper if you are interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JT

Thanks, I'm a shooter not a smith, still learning. Wondering if the barrel with barrel nut and bcg would fit an aero M5 upper lower receiver set? I've heard there's a lot of compatibility issues.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Secondwind said:

JT

Thanks, I'm a shooter not a smith, still learning. Wondering if the barrel with barrel nut and bcg would fit an aero M5 upper lower receiver set? I've heard there's a lot of compatibility issues.

 

Thanks

Biggest issue would be the barrel nut threads, pretty sure the Noveske is the Armalite thread pattern. As far as barrel and BCG go as long as you keep them both ion the same pattern you can change up receivers. At least one member here, @98Z5V, used an Armalite barrel and BCG in a DPMS pattern receiver. 

I'm a huge Armalite fan but find myself building with DPMS platforms all the time, selections in the Armalite pattern are getting fewer and fewer all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Biggest issue would be the barrel nut threads, pretty sure the Noveske is the Armalite thread pattern. As far as barrel and BCG go as long as you keep them both ion the same pattern you can change up receivers. At least one member here, @98Z5V, used an Armalite barrel and BCG in a DPMS pattern receiver. 

I'm a huge Armalite fan but find myself building with DPMS platforms all the time, selections in the Armalite pattern are getting fewer and fewer all the time. 

JT you got that right, DPMS pattern has most the market and it seems even Armalite has switched over. I checked with guys at the Noveske shop and they verified that a gen 1 Noveske N6 is an Armalite AR-10B pattern. I'll check in with 98Z5v, in the couple hours I've been here his name is popping up frequently in a lot of threads as a man who knows his way around this platform.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could straight run that N6 upper on an Armalite AR-10B lower, too.  It has to be a lower receiver with the angle cut in the back of it.  No gunsmith is gonna machine (and no machinist is gonna machine) that upper to fit a DPMS-based lower receiver that's got the circle-cut at the back of it.  Machining the lips out of the bottom of the upper receiver, to clear DPMS-based magazines is another story - but it won't fix the upper/lower fitment between those two patterns.

If you run the 10B lower receiver - you're locked in to Armalite AR-10 magazines.  There's no bad side to that, because they're reliable mags.  You just won't be running P-Mags or D-50 drums in the gun.

Running the Armalite AR-10 based guts in a DPMS-based gun - perfectly doable, and it works.  This thing below is an Aero Precision M5 receiver set and rail, with Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, AR-10 BCG, 13.5" barrel, and AR-10 Tunable Competition Brake (pinned and welded, 16.1" long barrel assembly).  Runs like a champ, never a hiccup.

P1060432.JPG

In your shoes, I'd do as JT suggested above - just pick up a set of M5 receivers from Aero, run the guts from that N6 upper in that, with an AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, and you're running DMPS-based magazines that way, without any headaches.

Save that N6 upper receiver, and keeps your eyes out for either the N6 lower, or an AR-10B lower sometime.  If you score one in the future, you can rebuild the gun into those receivers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You could straight run that N6 upper on an Armalite AR-10B lower, too.  It has to be a lower receiver with the angle cut in the back of it.  No gunsmith is gonna machine (and no machinist is gonna machine) that upper to fit a DPMS-based lower receiver that's got the circle-cut at the back of it.  Machining the lips out of the bottom of the upper receiver, to clear DPMS-based magazines is another story - but it won't fix the upper/lower fitment between those two patterns.

If you run the 10B lower receiver - you're locked in to Armalite AR-10 magazines.  There's no bad side to that, because they're reliable mags.  You just won't be running P-Mags or D-50 drums in the gun.

Running the Armalite AR-10 based guts in a DPMS-based gun - perfectly doable, and it works.  This thing below is an Aero Precision M5 receiver set and rail, with Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, AR-10 BCG, 13.5" barrel, and AR-10 Tunable Competition Brake (pinned and welded, 16.1" long barrel assembly).  Runs like a champ, never a hiccup.

P1060432.JPG

In your shoes, I'd do as JT suggested above - just pick up a set of M5 receivers from Aero, run the guts from that N6 upper in that, with an AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, and you're running DMPS-based magazines that way, without any headaches.

Save that N6 upper receiver, and keeps your eyes out for either the N6 lower, or an AR-10B lower sometime.  If you score one in the future, you can rebuild the gun into those receivers. 

98Z5V

Thank you very much for the advice. A guy on another forum steered me over here and you guys know your gear. I just ordered a dpms pattern upper and lower. I'll stuff the guts into it and put her through her paces. Funny thing.. I just saw a Noveske gen 1 lower pop up on gunbroker after I bought the dpms pattern receivers.. still saved cash this way and can use the SR-25 mags. Beers on me if I ever bump into you or JT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Secondwind said:

A guy on another forum steered me over here and you guys know your gear.

What other forum recommended us?  That's pretty cool.   :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

98Z5V

Calguns forum,

Due to the insanity of the laws in this state a lot of good people have put  together and run an informative and pro 2A place where we can talk about firearms, complain,  laugh a little, discuss law, conduct commerce, and tell stories. A lot of good people there. We unfortunately lose a few every month as they move to free-er states. I would highly recommend it to any one living there or thinking of moving. One of the senior members there helped me out when he learned I was looking for help putting together a build. My experience thus far is that shooting communities tend to take care of there own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Secondwind said:

My experience thus far is that shooting communities tend to take care of there own.

That is definitely true of this forum and many regional forums.  However, there are many national forums and other platform specific forums that will straight up ban you if you mention other forums.  Their operators run it as a business and suppress anything that will affect that.  Ask @Robert@FULL30 about his efforts to get gun forums to work together for the advocacy of the 2nd amendment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Secondwind said:

98Z5V

Calguns forum,

 

Right on - that's kinda what I was thinking.  Those are some good people.  :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

gun forums to work together for the advocacy of the 2nd amendment.

 

 

yes, it is how you describe,

 

most wouldn't even offer an Epstein PM offering condolences to hear I had banned ☠️ myself , or ask me how I locked myself out, or made some

of my threads disappear 

 

It was helpful to pull me out of a self induced delusion we all have each others backs

 

why'd you bring this up Doc ☹️ 

 

/waterworks

 

nice the little alert thing worked this time ☺️

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Robert@FULL30 said:

why'd you bring this up Doc ☹️ 

Look at the post I quoted.  I did not do it to dredge up bad memories for you.  I was passing on a truth that you learned the hard way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Look at the post I quoted.  I did not do it to dredge up bad memories for you.  I was passing on a truth that you learned the hard way.

thinks to self, sure, first the epstein ban from those unmentionable forums... then my feelers epstein themselves here.....

 

 

 

yes, friendship is not inherent in firearms ownership but comes from genuine people with true character a warm heart and awareness of the golden rule,

 

I'm fortunate to have found that here

 

 

 

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@Robert@FULL30...   we know how to summon you now...   even from the virtual world...   :banana:

920047e9610c58e492bea45e4f516eb1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robert@FULL30 said:

thinks to self, sure, first the epstein ban from those unmentionable forums... then my feelers epstein themselves here.....

 

 

 

yes, friendship is not inherent in firearms ownership but comes from genuine people with true character a warm heart and awareness of the golden rule,

 

I'm fortunate to have found that here

 

 

 

920047e9610c58e492bea45e4f516eb1.jpg

Hey, why you posting my pic??!!!:laffs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 3:26 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

That is definitely true of this forum and many regional forums.  However, there are many national forums and other platform specific forums that will straight up ban you if you mention other forums.  Their operators run it as a business and suppress anything that will affect that.  Ask @Robert@FULL30 about his efforts to get gun forums to work together for the advocacy of the 2nd amendment.

Armed eye doc,

98Z5V asked where I heard about this place. When a thick necked gorilla asks.. sometimes it's best to answer... I had a feeling I might step on a few toes.. and hoped I wouldn't. I felt the question was asked and replied to in good conscience. I know a few places good and bad where administrators are looking to protect a financial investment that they have built,, and why wouldn't they. It's difficult to run a public forum and pay your overhead, much less generate any income for growth. I feel right now in America there are a lot of interested parties who would love to snatch every last gun from the hands of the legally and Constitutionally entitled citizens of our great country and burn and bury every one of them. Not advocating we share sisters, but playing nicely with our neighbors can build some solidarity through sharing of ideas and current events.

Thanks for letting me share and thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Secondwind said:

Armed eye doc,

98Z5V asked where I heard about this place. When a thick necked gorilla asks.. sometimes it's best to answer... I had a feeling I might step on a few toes.. and hoped I wouldn't. I felt the question was asked and replied to in good conscience. I know a few places good and bad where administrators are looking to protect a financial investment that they have built,, and why wouldn't they. It's difficult to run a public forum and pay your overhead, much less generate any income for growth. I feel right now in America there are a lot of interested parties who would love to snatch every last gun from the hands of the legally and Constitutionally entitled citizens of our great country and burn and bury every one of them. Not advocating we share sisters, but playing nicely with our neighbors can build some solidarity through sharing of ideas and current events.

Thanks for letting me share and thanks for the help.

I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else here or at Calguns was uncooperative.  I am sorry if I gave that impression.

I was pointing out that not all firearm forums are as open.  I believe it to be important to know who is and is not a true friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I did not mean to imply that you or anyone else here or at Calguns was uncooperative.  I am sorry if I gave that impression.

I was pointing out that not all firearm forums are as open.  I believe it to be important to know who is and is not a true friend.

Armed Eye doc

i appreciate you adding throughout this thread. I felt everything posted up here By you and others has only been helpful and friendly. I think coming into a new house I’m doing my best to learn the house rules and being cautious not to step on any toes. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Secondwind said:

...learn the house rules and being cautious not to step on any toes.

Don't be cautious - Let it Rip.  Just be yourself...  :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...