• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help! Front detent stuck in lower receiver

Put front takedown detent in before spring, and my dumbass self ramroded it down with the spring, so it is hardcore stuck in there now.  Tried number mallet on buttstock and hitting front of lower receiver on rubber mallet but it's really in there... Any ideas on how to get it out or solutions?

That's gonna be a rough one.  Decades ago, if I would have invented the aluminum-magnet that I tried to do, it would be your rescue here, and I'll be a millionaire now.

Sadly, I never followed through with that, as I couldn't figure it all out.

Post a pic of the right side of your lower receiver.  Up close pic, around the upper right side of your lower receiver.

21 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

It would be a little bubba but maybe leave it in, cut down the spring enough to fit another detent, far from ideal but it might work.

If he has the vent hole in the side of his lower receiver - he can hit that vent hole with compressed air, and it'll blow that detent right out of there, right out the front.  That's why I asked for a pic of the right side of his receiver, Jim.  If the vent hole is there, this is already a done deal.  It's simple.

This is the solution:

AR vent or not.jpg

You're stuck, man.  Would you consider drilling a hole, if I told you how far back it had to be, and how large it needed to be?  I can run the numbers, and you can drill a vent hole - that should have been there in the first place...  You drill that hole, and you can blow that stuck-chunk right out of there, and start over.  Birchwood Casey Permablack will get you by covering it, and no one will ever know it was done.

Edited by 98Z5V

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're stuck, man.  Would you consider drilling a hole, if I told you how far back it had to be, and how large it needed to be?  I can run the numbers, and you can drill a vent hole - that should have been there in the first place...  You drill that hole, and you can blow that stuck-chunk right out of there, and start over.  Birchwood Casey Permablack will get you by covering it, and no one will ever know it was done.

Yeah I was worried about that, I don't think I'm at that point yet but I very well may need to follow your steps as I don't think my slight OCD will allow me to leave it in there.  I will continue working on it, trying the WD40 and compressed air but may be following up with you for help of that's okay.  Thanks for your advice / offer!

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's why I asked for a pic of the right side of his receiver, Jim.  If the vent hole is there, this is already a done deal.

What do you think, would it work with a shorter spring? I fully realize it isn't ideal but if it won't come out wondering if that's an option. I may have to try it sometime just to see, of course I will try it on a receiver with a vent. :thumbup:

14 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

What do you think, would it work with a shorter spring? I fully realize it isn't ideal but if it won't come out wondering if that's an option. I may have to try it sometime just to see, of course I will try it on a receiver with a vent. :thumbup:

It definitely will  - we prove that daily by taping receivers for the takedown detent, and cutting the spring by the length that the 4-40 set screw is. It works.

That receiver is gonna be tough, and I wouldn't want to drill into it,after looking at it - that's a sexy receiver. I'd measure a detent, cut that much spring length off it, and just go to it from there. Detent springs are cheap,in the larger picture here.  Cut a spring down, insert it, put that new detent on top, and pin the pivot pin.  If it feels too strong, take the pivot pin back out and cut another coil or two off the spring.  That's gonna be the safest bet, with this receiver.  That's what I'd do, if I were in these shoes... Just cut springs...  :thumbup:

With a vent hole usually a blast of WD40 from a full aerosal can of WD40 will blow out the spring.

If iWD40 don't work, then get down to business.

Dremel tool with diamond burr : Amazon SE 82331TF 30-Piece Set of Titanium-Coated Diamond Burrs, Grits 120-150,

I used to use dental burrs from my dentist  before I found these diamond coated burrs, the diamond burrs (shaft size 1/8") in a small B&D cordless VS drill, ( my Dremels usually run too fast for some work)  into the end of the spring then when it gripped the spring back it out of the detent spring channel   Usually aWD40 blast  works.  I have done this with abused 1911 detent springs if you don't want to remove the detent tube and replace it

Hint

I have several really small burrs superglued in ball point pen refill tubes for extentions for use with a 1911 side detent channel. rough up the burr shaft with a cutoff on the Dremmel and the superglue holds better.

You do know that some of this info is Gunsmithing secret stuff don't you?  That is alright since I am divorced and retired from that profession.

I don't have anything to add to help your situation, but I am curious to see how those Gibbz receivers work out for you.

I had a bad experience with a Gibbz upper (wouldn't allow carrier to close on a live round or headspace gauges -- bolt alone would headspace just fine), and Gibbz wouldn't admit it could be their design. "Has to be a bad chamber," they said. Criterion found otherwise...

On 1/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, jtallen83 said:

Yeppers it will work with a shorter spring.....cut a lil off another spring and put it in there on top ....no problemo.......:thumbup:   Wash

Thanks everyone!! I'm waiting on so parts to come in and need to grab some more WD40 to try a few last ditch efforts but will update you with how things end up working out.

COBrien, I'm probably 2 or so months away from finishing my build (buying parts as the extra money comes in) but will let you know how the completed rifle works once completed.

Thanks again everyone!!

On 1/14/2020 at 2:18 PM, Andy said:

Thanks everyone!! I'm waiting on so parts to come in and need to grab some more WD40 to try a few last ditch efforts but will update you with how things end up working out.

COBrien, I'm probably 2 or so months away from finishing my build (buying parts as the extra money comes in) but will let you know how the completed rifle works once completed.

Thanks again everyone!!

So good news, pushed the stuck detent all the way in with a small allen wrench then taped the detent spring to a 2x4, measured with my new detent how much to cut off the spring then cut it with a dremel (best route by far, needed to have the spring taped down tho).  Started conservatively so had to cut off a few extra coils but finally got it to the correct length (pretty much flush with the reciever) and worked like a charm with the new detent and takedown pin!  Thanks again everyone!!!

• 1 year later...

I just did the same thing last night.  I wasn't paying attention and dropped the detent and THEN the spring.  My detent is stuck in the vent tube and no amount of penetrating oil nor my air compressor has worked.  I'm going to take it to a gun smith in the morning, but my backup plan is the shorter spring trick.  Nice to know that has worked for others.

Since my vent hole is blocked by the stuck detent, is that going to cause any problems later?

Edited by 2FST4GM