• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I think I’m gonna build a 9mm rifle....

DNP

Like it says, I think I’m ready for a 9. I‘ve got glock mags, so leaning that way at the moment until you guys talk me into something else. I don’t think I’m gonna get to DROS a 338 anytime soon unless @Robocop1051 surprises me for my birthday, so I might as well buy something. I do t know why, but every time I bring a new kid home I get an urge to buy a new gun. 

I’m starting to do some research, but I’m sure to have some questions. Open for suggestions and recommendations of things I should research if you’ve got something you wanna share. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, sketch said:

lots to choose from complete or parts. I admit shooting them is stupid fun!! Hope you picked up lots of ammo 6 months ago.. 👍🏻🍻🍻🇺🇸

I’ve got a few rounds....luckily Cali limits me to 10 at a time.... because they care about my wallet and really want to see me succeed in mag changes that require disassembling a rifle first. 

Edited by DNP

No rotating trigger pins. Are a big plus. There are 2 main bolt patterns. Colt mags or Glock mags. If you want to go Glock mags with a regular AR receiver the Stern  Defense mag well adapter works well. The Glock style bolt also works well with the Mean arms mag insert that goes in a PMag. No mag well adapter needed that way. The Mean arms inserts come standard at 10 rounds but can be changed to 30 rounds for free states. Don't remember what the weight is but I'm running the Spikes 9mm buffer and a Armalite 308 spring. My 9mm pistol is all PSA except the receiver.

Awesome input. Thank you. I will check out Mean Arms. I almost ordered some stuff from them a while back, but was waiting on them to release the 308 version and just completely dropped them from the radar. 

Only reason I’m thinking glock mags is because I already have a bin full of them. 

Edited by DNP

3 hours ago, shooterrex said:

No rotating trigger pins. Are a big plus. There are 2 main bolt patterns. Colt mags or Glock mags. If you want to go Glock mags with a regular AR receiver the Stern  Defense mag well adapter works well. The Glock style bolt also works well with the Mean arms mag insert that goes in a PMag. No mag well adapter needed that way. The Mean arms inserts come standard at 10 rounds but can be changed to 30 rounds for free states. Don't remember what the weight is but I'm running the Spikes 9mm buffer and a Armalite 308 spring. My 9mm pistol is all PSA except the receiver.

I’m looking at Stern.

You can only do so many. I’d have to look and see if long guns are limited yet. I know they were headed that way. 1 every 30 days for handguns. You could do as many long guns a month as you wanted, but like I said....I’d have to confirm now. I’m really not too worried, I just have to poke @Robocop1051 every chance I get. Although it’s kinda backfiring, because every time I hear we’re a little closer the price has gone up another grand. Pretty soon we’re gonna be in Barrett territory - though I think I’ll still by a CROM if that’s the case. 

I just built my first 9mm AR last year, got to admit they're pretty fun. Before ammo decided to pregame for the coming election it was super cheap to play with which is nice. Personally I'm not a big fan of those magwell adapters, I like the dedicated lowers. I also know my luck, somehow I'll go to strip a mag and the whole F*ckin thing will come out with the mag somehow.

I went with a KE Arms dedicated Glock lower, never used their stuff before this but its pretty good. Ejecter came already set in the lower so I didn't have to mess with that, plus feels good and sturdy. Not sure what your options are in Cali for lowers these days. Upper is a complete off the shelf Foxtrot Mike I got from Primary Arms when they were blowing them out last year. Nothing but good things to say across the board about it so far, it survived getting beaten and thrown around the fall shoot last year with no issues.

I am gonna go a completely different route here, and nyet on the AR in 9mm.  My friendly local gunsmith has built quite a few of these up:

RIA Armscor 22TCM rifle, rebarreled into 9mm via a Green Mountain barrel for heavy lead boolits.  A touch on the boltface for ensuring all 9mm brass works flawlessly, and either the factory mag or the 15 round doublestack from a RIA 1911 in 9mm/22 TCM, and "playtime" for me. 

The last one he made up for a guy this way was threaded for real fun with the heavy lead boolits and can.He can use any barrel maker he wants, but Green Mountain barrels work best with the lead I like to make.....

.....you said you wanted ideas......

I too like the dedicated powers, but I think I’m gonna give the mean arms mags a try. I’m looking for a PCC upper receiver. I have on on my son’s dedicated 22 from Taccom.  They don’t offer it by itself on their site right now, but they have the superfeed 16” which is a 5.25”barrel with a light shroud. Considering looking at bolt options and trying to decide if it’s worth a short stroke or not. Figure I’ll build a decent upper and run a basic lower to start. If I’m not happy, I’ll get a dedicated lower going. BAD has a nice little upper, but haven’t hunted for stock yet. 

tear apart the plan, tell me why I’m a dumbass....but try to keep it about the choices. I know lots of non related reasons I lick windows. 

I know. I’m actually seeing how complicated I can make it.  At least I haven’t asked which adjustable gas block I should go with.....those work with a piston system if you have the right muffler bearings, right?  Oh, there’s no gas system...right. Well, what the hell am I gonna go with all the muffler bearings now?

Thinking I’ll run the Hellfighter for my CA compliance device.  

3 minutes ago, DNP said:

I know. I’m actually seeing how complicated I can make it.  At least I haven’t asked which adjustable gas block I should go with.....those work with a piston system if you have the right muffler bearings, right?  Oh, there’s no gas system...right. Well, what the hell am I gonna go with all the muffler bearings now?

Thinking I’ll run the Hellfighter for my CA compliance device.  

You just want something to troubleshoot

Gotta keep the gurus busy. 

BTW...JP stuff has not been ordered. Only being considered and I’m willing to be talked out of it. However, I may have invoked the rule. 

Edited by DNP