• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Haven’t hunted in 20+ years...

DNP

I have not gone out on a deer hunt in a loooong damn time. Gonna change that this year. Got 2 tags for our county and was lucky on the draw. One is an either sex archery (which means I might get to eat one of our yard deer) and the other is just a regular D16. Hopefully between either of those hunts I’ll be able to track something down. Pickings are slim in San Diego. 

On 6/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, DNP said:

I have not gone out on a deer hunt in a loooong damn time. Gonna change that this year. Got 2 tags for our county and was lucky on the draw. One is an either sex archery (which means I might get to eat one of our yard deer) and the other is just a regular D16. Hopefully between either of those hunts I’ll be able to track something down. Pickings are slim in San Diego. 

If you go after one of her "pets" - there's gonna be hell to pay...    :laffs:

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Aww, poor guy! Drink your Ovaltine (or whatever) to brace yourself for the coming ordeal. Or, in other words, have fun brother! :banana:

Now you went and did it. :laffs:And, I can't help myself...   :bitchslap:

I haven't been since a kid with friends.. I do ducks sometimes but the girls have a game taste phobia. Hope you can eat the whole animal yourself. Gave my bow away 8 years ago or it would be yours. new gear is pretty hi tech compared! Happy hunting!!

Thanks. My dad has a bow I might borrow. He hasn’t used it for a few years. Dusty has been wanting one for herself anyways, so getting a couple may not be a bad deal. We have a great shop in town with an owner who is truly dedicated to getting everyone of his customers set up and running right, so we’ll have to pay him a visit soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one word for you if they are legal to use where you are in Cali.  Crossbow!  Much less of a learning curve than a vertical bow for someone who hasn't used one and they aim with a scope similar to a rifle.  Killing range is truly about the same as a bow, although people will try to bullchit you and say its much longer.  Those are the folks that are willing to lob an arrow at a deer at 50 yards.

I think crossbows fall in the rifle category. I’ve worked with bows over the years. I used to shoot a recurve a lot. I’ve shot my dad’s compound a handful of times. What a great reason to practice. I might start hanging out in the tree stand to get used to it and see how close I can get. Should be able to get in around 15-30 yards. I’ll get cameras back up on our trail. We had 3 come through every night for a while. I scared one out of the bushes last Saturday  when I was out pruning up the horse trail that leaves from our property. 

I should go shopping before they close all the stores again.