• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Sign in to follow this  
RedRiverII

Any Ham operators here?

23 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

This one goes for $26.61,  I didn't know about the programming cable or CHIRP or the repeater book. 

Here's the programming cable, for laptop/USB use on a computer.  You don't have to buy it from here, this is just an example of what works:

https://www.radioddity.com/products/baofeng-usb-programming-cable

28-020-122_02_a34d2580-7d6e-4795-a94e-bd75aa4d3943.jpg?v=1599017829

You can download CHIRP for free, and program to your heart's content...   :thumbup:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Here's RepeaterBook in case you haven't found it yet. There are apps for iPhone and Android as well. I've used all of the above; and below on the road from time to time myself.

Here's a links for Florida in particular. Just start browsing by location, band, and/or feature: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?country_code=US&state_id=12

Quick and dirty directional antenna I made to use with my UV-5R a while back. Three loops; not super well tuned, but it works well enough as it is. I could do a lot better these days if I had a need to do so. Just chopped off a short coax adapter cable, and soldered the wire antenna in.

IMG_6409.JPG

6 minutes ago, Lane said:

Quick and dirty directional antenna I made to use with my UV-5R a while back. Three loops; not super well tuned, but it works well enough as it is. I could do a lot better these days if I had a need to do so. Just chopped off a short coax adapter cable, and soldered the wire antenna in.

IMG_6409.JPG

What range?  HF, VHF, UHF...  

It's around 1.3" diameter. An acceptable dual band UHF/VHF; not exactly well tuned for either band as I recall. 

As long as you don't transmit; you can endlessly toy with antenna designs for fun. Simple designs with measured dimensions can be very sensitive to a specific frequency.

Should have mentioned.

The antenna wire was wrapped around a 35mm film can to make it. Coil expanded a bit after the fact. I built it to fox hunt, and it seemed to qualify for that purpose. I even build a Fox that fits inside of a 35mm film can; including the LiPo battery to power it. It was designed to transmit a signal the UV-5R and other cheap radios could seek and find. Has a cheap silicon labs SDR chip, and dumb microcontroller inside, battery charger, etc.... 

and Fun both the wife and I are Generals we run the local nets here from time to time we have a good local club and do a lot with search and rescue and also help with boat races as the mountains here are killer and distance.. we both have Baofengs and Yaesu FT 60,s we also transmit on 2 mm band on a Yaesu FT 2900 which is a 75 watt radio it gets out really well  and I am building a DX station on a I-com 735 it is a older radio but works quite well my plan is to have a Yagi style antenna on the flat side  to use as my distance station...