• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
98Z5V

Rare Breed FRT-15 Trigger

I got an email from FLeaBay today that states they're not for sale there anymore...   Maybe they were just talking about that one auction, because I saw it end at $720, too.   :thumbup:

I'm gonna have a chance to work with one of these coming up very soon.  I'll post info once I gather it. 

Info coming up sooner, rather than later.  I needed a gun to put one of these in, so I looked at what I had, instead of building another gun-around-a-trigger.  As luck would have it, I've got an 11.5" AR pistol, just sitting around doing nothing.  PERFECT CANDIDATE FOR TESTING!!!

It's Old-Skool AR Pistol, right here, before any of these fancy "braces" were even invented - so it's getting some minor, modern updates.   This is the lead-slinger, right here.  11.5" BCM carbine-gas barrel, BCM BCG, and all the tricks I could throw at it, back in 2011.  This is gonna get interesting, men...  

IMG_0429.thumb.JPG.e418a6ea48cc9821c9f02d7ec8871205.JPG

On 12/31/2020 at 8:13 AM, unforgiven said:

Linked 9mm?

That's a GO, brother...   In this vid, Ian Harrison talks about the specifics, and the manufacturer states to use a heavy buffer - that's covered in this vid.  I have some stuff to work out on my side, with the LAW Folder, and it's BCG insert (weighs 62 grams, or 2.187 ounces) - but I'll get it figured out...  Linked 9mm, though - no issue, brother... :thumbup:

Updated changes made.  Tailhook Mod 2, B5 Systems P23 grip in FDE, not Coyote, and a PA red dot and mount.  Ready to go for Sunday morning, to see how the trigger test goes.  Don't know how long I can keep the trigger, but I'll have it for Sunday to test at least.   :thumbup:

Oh - it's over 26" long, ass to nose, so none - NONE - of this new "Brace BS" that's being legislated has any affect on this pistol, whatsoever.  Read the fine print in that stupid proposal of theirs.  Over 26" OAL?   Doesn't pertain, not at all...

:thumbup:

IMG_0431.thumb.JPG.21dfa1118b03d7a82e555c64cbfef67d.JPG

So, with the LAW Tactical Gen 2 folder on there, it comes with and extension/insert that goes in the back of the BCG, to take up the additional length/space of the folder. 

After watching the Ian Harrison/RECOIL vid a few times,  Rare Breed recommends a heavy (H3) buffer for operation...  He tried it, and had to drop down the buffer weight to get the gun to run.  I took notes, about that. 

I weighed that LAW insert, and it's 62 grams, or 2.18699 oz.  Let's call that 2.187 oz, of additional cyclic weight/reciprocating mass, that's been added to the recoil system.  Previously, I had an H-weighted buffer in this pistol.  So, 3.8oz buffer, plus another 2.187oz is one heavy buffer...   5.987oz.   If RECOIL Mag had issues with a 5.4oz buffer, then I predict issues with that setup.  I swapped out the H for a standard carbine buffer, 3.0oz.  That's still 5.187oz, pretty heavy, when those guys had to go lighter. 

So, I built 2 more buffers today, just in case.  I grabbed 2 standard carbine buffers, opened them up, and substituted some aluminum weights.  Took a steel out of one, inserted one aluminum.  I'm calling that Carbine Buffer -1.  2 steels out in the other, 2 aluminums in, and I'm calling that Carbine Buffer -2.  That's what they'd be, anyway...  

Standard 3.0oz carbine buffer + 2.187oz (LAW insert) = 5.187oz.

C-1 weighs 2.55oz + 2.187oz = 4.737oz.

C-2 weighs 2.15oz + 2.187oz = 4.337oz.

One of these things should work.  I'll take tools with me if they don't, and make a C-3 buffer, all aluminum inserts, and that would leave me with a 3.937oz buffer, as a last resort...That's still slightly over the weight of a 3.8oz H buffer, right there... BUT!  The thing ran great with an H buffer before...   

If none of this works - hand-cut Delrin inserts, at a later date, if I can keep the trigger that long.  Sounds like a great day.  It's only supposed to be 114* tomorrow...  :laffs:

IMG_0433.thumb.JPG.f76293eef82ce240959a0b5c025d9afb.JPG

All in the name of Science...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, Rsquared said:

So now you're a Democrat? :lmao:

No if he were a Democrat, he would have said it was settled science without any tests and you are racist if you ask for any information about the conclusion. 

30 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

No if he were a Democrat, he would have said it was settled science without any tests and you are racist if you ask for any information about the conclusion. 

Valid point.

5 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

:laffs::lmao: