Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Tuner for finding nodes.


Recommended Posts

After watching Eric Cortina's "chasing the lands is stupid" video and his promotion for his barrel tuner/muzzle brake, I decided to buy a similar product from Short action precision called the "Adaptive Tuning System ". The reason being because I wanted to use my own brake. 

My theory is I can use the tuner to find a good accuracy node without farting around with seating depths; given everything else is consistent.

I have not yet done any tests yet. Are there any oversights that I'm not considering?

 

 

Eric Cortina's tuner 

https://www.shootsmallgroups.com/?s=Tuner&post_type=product

Short action precision tuner

https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/adaptive-tuning-system

Chasing the lands is stupid videos 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will tell you that Erik Cortina's tuning brake works.  If what you're looking at is similar, it should work like his does.  He gives the details and the feedback, and SHOWS you his works, and why.  :thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't used his tuner partly because none of my barrels are rigged for it. I wouldn't skip testing seating depths I mean...he doesn't to my knowledge hence his chasing the lands vid.  But I'm sure if you are trying to get the extra few bits in terms of accuracy it's going to get you there.

Edited by shaffe48
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, shaffe48 said:

I haven't used his tuner partly because none of my barrels are rigged for it. I wouldn't skip testing seating depths I mean...he doesn't to my knowledge hence his chasing the lands vid.  But I'm sure if you are trying to get the extra few bits in terms of accuracy it's going to get you there.

I understand. The biggest reason I'm using the tuner is because I have BSF CF barrel. It's a good barrel, but it's very floppy. I can confirm that rigidity increases with heat. I hate messing with seating depths so I'm hoping I can just pick one to fit the magazine and be done with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Nocturnalham said:

The biggest reason I'm using the tuner is because I have BSF CF barrel.

I'm gonna be pissed if my BSF barrel needs something like that to shoot, bought the thing because I was looking for stiffness to hold up that suppressor, I need to get that build finished and see what I have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, jtallen83 said:

I'm gonna be pissed if my BSF barrel needs something like that to shoot, bought the thing because I was looking for stiffness to hold up that suppressor, I need to get that build finished and see what I have.

You'll be fine. I suggest you reload to tune it properly. As I've said the way the barrel is made it will become stiffer as it heats up. I tested it with a 20 round string shooting as fast as I could (accurately) at 100 yards and noticed my groups either tightened up or stayed the same. It was a long time ago so I'm sorry for being vague. But I can say for certain that my groups didn't get worse. I was extremely frustrated with factory ammo hence the reason I started reloading. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nocturnalham said:

As I've said the way the barrel is made it will become stiffer as it heats up.

Not what I got it for though, it's supposed to be DCG, designated coyote gun. It isn't supposed to get warmed up, just one shot at a time on those -10 days in Iowa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...