• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your other hobbies and interests?

imschur

aside from shooting what else are you in to?

I have been a life long woodworker. I have a nice woodshop in the basement. I try to squeeze out a nice project or two every year. Im an avid freshwater fisherman specializing in Bass and Trout. Music is a massive part of my life. My apartment is filled with guitars amps and all sorts of gear. In recent years I have started to get into photography. It seems to fit with all my other interests. Lastly the little woman and I rescue and rehab feral cats.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm third generation union steelworker U.S.Steel then became a Sheet Metal worker out of Chicago local,I fish kids are grown have 4 grandkids take them fishing,do all around home repair and remodel,carpentry,electrical[used to be a digital troubleshooter]plumbing,fabricator metal wood welder all process all positions.I have worked with cranes and helicopters.I have spent 30+ years helping build America objects that will last the test of time.It pales in comparison to what my wife does she is a critical care nurse with 30+ years of experience.I also have a 03 custom superglide[H.D.].Shoot on bro. :sniper:

I play hockey a couple times a week, I mountain bike and hike with my dogs and fiancée. I snowboard and snowshoe in the winter, and go racing with my dad in the nicer months. Previous to my divorce a few years back I had an Electra glide and a heavily modified RC51.  I hope soon to be riding again on an RC8R by ktm or an S1000rr BMW

Besides shooting?!?

I'm an NRA Certified Instructor across the board for everything but muzzle loading and archery, up to and including the Personal Protection classes.  Having been involved with LE for years, people just don't know or realize how comprehensive the Personal Protection training actually is.

Currently the VP of Marana Shooting Club (working on getting that straightened out) and Treasurer of Southern AZ Firearms Educators Inc., a nonprofit shooting education group.  We do lots of work with women's groups and the BSofA.

On the side, I like working with machine tools.  Used to work in production shops, most in defense or aviation but got tired of the "feast or famine" cycle of layoffs and hirings.  Having created some of my own tooling, there are some shooting related products in the works.  Oops, you said "non-shooting".

Uummm...airplanes are cool!  Got that from my USAF Dad.  In my late 20s started pursuing a career in flying, got through Private Certificate easily enough.  Was working simultaneously on Commercial, Instrument, and CFI, when 9/11 happened and there was suddenly 87,000 unemployed pilots.  Bad time to continue with training.

Two-wheeled stuff is cool!  Been awhile since I've been on the gas burners but still ride the pedal pusher types. 

Like exploring and hiking.  It's nice to feel like you are the first person ever to be someplace, then look down and see a pile of spent .22 LRs that look like they were shot by Annie Oakley.

Jon

I seem to move from thing to thing over the years but it's usually one main interest at a time.  Hunting is my number one pass time.  If and when I ever get to retire you can bet that most of my time will be in the field.  I love to golf.  I did off roading for several years and dirt bikes for a few.  Getting shed of the KTM as I just don't have any fun riding the soft sands that are most of Michigan trails.

Shooting my guns and longbow are the most fun you can have sitting still.

Artiest by nature. Painting, drawing, scale models, design, writing, crafting etc.

I'm interested in science and history as well. My scientific focus is mostly on the paranormal and some of the remaining mysteries about the universe, so I like to objectively study things that allot of people are superstitious about. I also seam to have made it a hobby to check my and everyone else' facts, which I am sad to say, gets me in to trouble allot. I have an interest in learning about military matters as well as day to day life in ancient times. Beyond that, there's no rhyme or reason to my fascination with history. I'm also fascinated with the workings of the human mind and put allot in to studying it.

As a past time, I'm in to video games. That's about it.

Spending time with my 7 year old grandson and teaching him firearms and firearm safety. Bought him a S&S M&P 15-22 a couple of weeks ago. He now has a black gun like his pop pop, thats what he call me. Run him through all the safety about loaded guns and direction, ppe, and so on. When his dad came over he wanted to show him. I had him go though all the safety steps to his dad before they started shooting. He made a good presentation for 7 years old and will be a good instructor as he gets older.

Oh yeah, run a still when I am not shooting or reloading.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but martial arts and self-defense training and instruction take up most of my time, even more than my gun shooting/collecting.  I've been in it for roughly 25 years, since I was 16.  From ages 17 through 21 I did a bunch of tournament fighting throughout New England, wherever and whatever I could find to fight in - racked up a ton of trophies during those years, both shiny and black-n-blue.  Jumped around at a few different schools until I found my current school almost 14 years ago.  I turned 43 a couple of weeks back, but I'm still in it.  It takes a special kind of crazy to stay in MA all your life.

<thumbsup>

post-12-136297270524_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit of a bookworm myself, starting with all the gun magazines I subscribe to (Gun Tests, S.W.A.T. Magazine, Guns Magazine, Shooting Illustrated, American Hunter, Soldier of Fortune Magazine). For books I dig sci-fi/fantasy (Star Wars, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks) and American history/Constitution, military history (usually biographies/autobiographies like Lone Survivor and House to House), and political/current events. I'm slowly getting into reloading and hunt as much as possible (which isn't much)....was able to fill both my deer tags this year! Play the occasional video/computer game and watch most of the shooting shows on outdoor channel, sportsman channel and vs. channel.

I work way too much to have too many hobbies. Honestly, guns are my biggest hobby. Sure I play a little Modern Warfare when I can, and chase my dog around the backyard a bit.

The wife and I enjoy a lot of outdoors stuff together. We did a bunch of quad'ing lately. She has a pretty tricked out race ATV (Honda TRX 450R). My quad was just for putting around behind her. I sold my quad and started working on selling hers too (starting a family soon, and ATV time is vanishing).

I still have my old '87 Jeep Wrangler (my first car) I'm constantly working on. That keeps me hunting and fishing when time permits. Wife wants me to turn it into a "rocker". (She drives an '07 Ram 2500 6.7L Turbo Diesel on 37's)

Winter's a comin'! That means I get to dust off the snowboard and hit the slopes soon. Wife bought me all new gear last year, so I gotta take advantage of the oportunity.

Wife likes to wakeboard in the summer. I'm too fat, lazy and full of beer most of the time to manage a wakeboard... But I do enjoy our time on the lake.

Mostly spend our money on traveling. This world is getting smaller and smaller everyday, and I want to see as much of it as I can before I check out. Been to several countries over the years, on several continents. I probably would've seen more by now, but I have a timeshare in Cancun MX and friends/family in Brazil. Most trips have been to those two places.

Lastly, I begrudgingly add, my wife is a Disney fanatic. I get my guns, she gets her Disneyland. At least once a year she gets me to take her to Disneyland for 3-5 days at a time. Now I was ok with the first trip, seeing as I hadn't been there for 15 to 20 years or so. After that... I learned a lot of tolerance is involved in a marriage. Gentlemen, I have learned how to survive Disneyland and take full advantage of a situation. One of the benefits of being an adult with a decent career is I sometimes have the ability to spend a little extra money. My secret here, Disneyland's Grand California Resort & Spa has free beer!!! I can tell you how, if you're interested. My life changed the day I figured this out. The extra money I spent was WELL covered by my beer consumption. Bye-bye bar tab, hello concierge service!

We have done alot of traveling also been to every state east of Mississippi river as far west as Nevada need to bag Mont.,Wash.,Or. Cali,.Alaska,and Hi.,great country great people,need 10 lifetimes to see everything here,hope there is enough gas in my tank for the rest of the world would like to see Aussie land.Shoot on bros.

• 2 weeks later...

Lastly, I begrudgingly add, my wife is a Disney fanatic. I get my guns, she gets her Disneyland. At least once a year she gets me to take her to Disneyland for 3-5 days at a time. Now I was ok with the first trip, seeing as I hadn't been there for 15 to 20 years or so. After that... I learned a lot of tolerance is involved in a marriage. Gentlemen, I have learned how to survive Disneyland and take full advantage of a situation. One of the benefits of being an adult with a decent career is I sometimes have the ability to spend a little extra money. My secret here, Disneyland's Grand California Resort & Spa has free beer!!! I can tell you how, if you're interested. My life changed the day I figured this out. The extra money I spent was WELL covered by my beer consumption. Bye-bye bar tab, hello concierge service!

She must be a Democrat! <lmao>

Wow, looking at some of the other activities y'all engage in makes me feel kinda bland. I enjoy FPS video games, though I have to limit how much and often I play them (PTSD is a motherfucker that way), reading and cooking/cocktail creation. I also keep up a regular program of running and marathoning.