Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Curious


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Short answer. I could choose any. I could use any. The best answer is what do you train with. A .22 could be the tool needed, as well as a 500 blk should be part of my go to kit if the threat presents itself.  Yes I like the .308 but add a can to said choice.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sketch said:

Yes. Short answer. I could choose any. I could use any. The best answer is what do you train with. A .22 could be the tool needed, as well as a 500 blk should be part of my go to kit if the threat presents itself.  Yes I like the .308 but add a can to said choice.. 

This^^ a man and a can 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am to old to run and gun and all that ammo nope i will grab my 6.5x 284 Norma a box of 100 and dig in on some hill or cliff somewhere  and one of them other guns will be by my side but not on my back...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like Magwa my warrior days are over. I'm going nowhere. So I'll grab the suppressed 300BLK handgun I recently built and hunker down. At least that's my plan now and in fact as I write it's next to the bed 15' away. Like everything though it's subject to change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NightStalker said:

I only have one issue with my Grendel, ammo supply. Been hard to get last few years and expensive 

My Grendel's shoot the Wolf steel case well. That is still available. I have a bit put back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Magwa said:

I am to old to run and gun and all that ammo nope i will grab my 6.5x 284 Norma a box of 100 and dig in on some hill or cliff somewhere  and one of them other guns will be by my side but not on my back...

 

4 hours ago, BrianK said:

Like Magwa my warrior days are over. I'm going nowhere. So I'll grab the suppressed 300BLK handgun I recently built and hunker down. At least that's my plan now and in fact as I write it's next to the bed 15' away. Like everything though it's subject to change.

Yeah that is where I am at. Probably grab my AR10 and have my 300 Blk across my back with a can on. Find a hole and make my stand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Magwa said:

I am to old to run and gun and all that ammo nope i will grab my 6.5x 284 Norma a box of 100 and dig in on some hill or cliff somewhere  and one of them other guns will be by my side but not on my back...

Not quite as old as Magwa, but my days of running away are over.  

 

Phuk em, they can die while facing me.  I will not give in, no surrender, but I will more than likely wait until I can see their bodies.....short range cartridges now......358 Win is my long range tool in the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd start with my 12.5" 6 ARC with the 2~12 scope on it.  Does short range, longer range, 850 is easy.  Small enough to carry around in a tennis racket case. 

I make my own ammo, so I'm not concerned with ammo.  If times get silly, and ammo is short, I'll move to the 12.5" Grendel.  Ammo gets dumb after that?  12.5" .308AR with a red dot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'd start with my 12.5" 6 ARC with the 2~12 scope on it.  Does short range, longer range, 850 is easy.  Small enough to carry around in a tennis racket case. 

I make my own ammo, so I'm not concerned with ammo.  If times get silly, and ammo is short, I'll move to the 12.5" Grendel.  Ammo gets dumb after that?  12.5" .308AR with a red dot.

I reload as well but components are still scarce so gotta buy it when I can find it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12.5 in. 308 AR with SDN6 can and mags full of MK319 mod 0 for ammo, red dot and a magnifier right now  but moving to a 1x prism due to eyes and cutting weight. That's my grab and go when not much is known, the more info the more appropriate the kit.

MK319.jpg.03985f9461fbc6aa32e0d2b6c54e5152.jpg 130 gr. barrier blind pill from the 319 mod 0, EXPLOSIVE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

12.5 in. 308 AR with SDN6 can and mags full of MK319 mod 0 for ammo, red dot and a magnifier right now  but moving to a 1x prism

Short .308s and red dots work real well, brother - doesn't matter what kinda dot.  The combo is pretty badass.  :thumbup:  150gr Range Trash common .308 loads leave me with 100 yards - POA = POI.  200 yards is Chest POA = center mass POI.  300 yards is Head POA - Center mass POI. 400 yards is head-high over the head POA - center mass POI.  Good for me.  I like it.  From a 13.5" gun.  The 12.5" gun is almost identical for holds/hits. Not enough difference to worry about.

I'd run the small-frame guns first, just for mobility / car mobility, and light(er) movement weight.  Things would settle.  Run out of those specialty cartridges?  No big deal.  Move to the short .308s. 

EDIT - Hit ratios listed above for Points Of Aim and Points Of Impact are ON a full size ISPC plate.  Torso plates, 18" x 26" or 18" x 32".  Same/same.

Edited by 98Z5V
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It appears there are lots of old SOBs on this forum. Glad to make your acquaintances and to be another. I know my land and they don't. Shots are short, it's heavily wooded Maine and I practice that as often as possible in USPSA competition and was trained in Quick Kill (just google it). I have no possibility of surviving long term but I'll give it hell! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BrianK said:

It appears there are lots of old SOBs on this forum. Glad to make your acquaintances and to be another. I know my land and they don't. Shots are short, it's heavily wooded Maine and I practice that as often as possible in USPSA competition and was trained in Quick Kill (just google it). I have no possibility of surviving long term but I'll give it hell! 

That is the deal. For every fire fight your culmative chances of survival drop quickly. Got 1,000 rounds? Chances are before you use half of it, you won't be needing it any more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 8:32 PM, NightStalker said:

I’m curious how many of you consider the AR308 or what ever caliber you have as your go to rifle.  
If SHTF is this what you would grab?

My SHTF "you can only take one" gun is still my M1A (in 7.62X51 of course). To this point I only have one AR-10 and it is the Armalite AR-10(T) that weighs about 15 lbs.  I really do like the AR-10(T) but between the weight and the fact that I don't yet have 1000s of trust building rounds through it - it can't be "the one." 

Edited by BigNate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

That is the deal. For every fire fight your culmative chances of survival drop quickly. Got 1,000 rounds? Chances are before you use half of it, you won't be needing it any more. 

Yes. I wonder what goes through the minds of  folks who think they're going to hit the road with nowhere to go and the fuel pumps also not working. I happen to be rural and will just hunker down, can't do anything else, but even when I was more able that was my plan. 100% correct, no aerial resupply for anyone but maybe the folks who could be the enemy. I put nothing beyond our go'vermin and what they would do. 

If I was still able and had to go cross country it would be on foot or by ATV trails and I'd bring my 5# AR and a bunch of ammo for it. I'd also be the unseen mouse and try not to engage anyone. Basically the same rules for no engagements when carrying today as a concealed carrier. One wins every engagement that is dodged. I would definitely NOT be looking for trouble. I also won't be looking for trouble when hunkered down at the homestead. But won't shy away from it if it's a serious issue. It depends on circumstances. I'll help good folks if I'm able.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BrianK said:

Yes. I wonder what goes through the minds of  folks who think they're going to hit the road with nowhere to go and the fuel pumps also not working. I happen to be rural and will just hunker down, can't do anything else, but even when I was more able that was my plan. 100% correct, no aerial resupply for anyone but maybe the folks who could be the enemy. I put nothing beyond our go'vermin and what they would do. 

If I was still able and had to go cross country it would be on foot or by ATV trails and I'd bring my 5# AR and a bunch of ammo for it. I'd also be the unseen mouse and try not to engage anyone. Basically the same rules for no engagements when carrying today as a concealed carrier. One wins every engagement that is dodged. I would definitely NOT be looking for trouble. I also won't be looking for trouble when hunkered down at the homestead. But won't shy away from it if it's a serious issue. It depends on circumstances. I'll help good folks if I'm able.

Good plans.:thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...