The next Black Rifle Build. .45 ACP

98Z5V

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That I did not do so thank you I hope it is still going I will try again..... also walked into my LGS and asked if he ever had any grease gun mags he dug around and had two still in the wrap made in 1967 15 bucks a piece so it has been a good day  now this info makes my day... lol thanks again

That I did not do so thank you I hope it is still going I will try again..... also walked into my LGS and asked if he ever had any grease gun mags he dug around and had two still in the wrap made in 1967 15 bucks a piece so it has been a good day now this info makes my day... lol thanks again

Good deal! You can take me fishing now :)

shiit, Mike, I even provided you that order form, and it had $275 on it...  <lmao>

Watch www.keepshooting.com for GG mag sales - they make the best mags, today.  I think they're still on sale for $15, new manufacture.

Yep, still on sale.

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearm-accessories/magazines?application=256&limit=all

Edited by 98Z5V

• 4 weeks later...

I've been lusting after one of these things for quite awhile, now, brother - it was only a matter of time, but I now wish I'd built it a long time ago.  I'm gonna like this one.  ;D

I've been keeping an eye on QC10 for a few weeks and the 15% sale that they have posted on and off is making it hard to turn down.  They seem to be growing a lot from the remains of DDLES.  The customer service has been reported as pretty good.  They are also very active on social media.  I'm just waiting for more of their parts to be released.  I'm still up in the air about 45, 9mm, or 10mm. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2011 at 8:52 PM, 98Z5V said:

Well, THAT didn't happen.  Crazy around here on X-Mas Eve Morning...  :o  Not even the slimmest chance of getting out to the range this morning.  I'll update the initial shoot-in pretty soon.  Targets posted, of course.  <thumbsup>

As kind of a consolation, I did break down the BCG and get some pics.  Olympic Arms is doing some very interesting stuff now, compared to what they've done in the past.  I have an old 9mm BCG complete from them, from the old days, and what they're doing now (and I don't know for how long, "now" is...)  - it's  pretty different...  I have no manufacture date on that old 9mm BCG, so I have no idea when these changes were made. 

Overall pic of the disassembled BCG:

100_0202.jpg

Standard AR-15 firing pin, but it's sprung - this is one HEAVY spring, too!

100_0198_1.jpg

The cam pin hole is simply bored to size - the bolt doesn't rotate anyway, and there are no locking lugs for the bolt or barrel extension, so this makes perfect sense.  The old ones were built on standard carriers, and it was a typical cam pin hole, rotating.  Not now.  Also, since it's blowback operated, it doesn't need a gas key, but there a chunk there, with bolts - I think this is there for carrier weight.  Old ones had a complete gas key in place.

100_0202_1.jpg

Extractor spring is external, on top of the extractor, and fits into a machined groove inside the mouth of the BCG.  This is the direct opposite of what we're used to, with the extractor spring back under the tail of the extractor, internal.

100_0203.jpg

100_0203_1.jpg

I don't know if the extractor spring is the same one as an AR-15 part, but it doesn't feel too strong.  It has no "insert" inside of it.  It's pretty easy to "cycle" the extractor with finger pressure.  Not like the AR-15... 

Overall, that's it.  It's a pretty simple system.  That carrier is VERY unlike a standard AR-15 carrier - there's extra meterial everywhere they could put it, and there's even a threaded heavy allen-headed insert screwed into the back of the BCG.  I need to get a new postal scale and weight this thing out.  It's heavy.

@98, I need some info on the Olympic Arms stuff, Would it be difficult to build a AR45 upper based on the Olympic Arms barrel and BCG but put in/on an Aero stripped upper that has no forward assist provision - my only area of concern is the ejector assembly, I haven't been able to get much info on it and I'm not sure how the upper is machined to accommodate it - also it appears your pics aren't available anymore?  Thanks Brother:thumbup:

that post is from 2011 .. yikes that might be a necro winner!! also as it stands oly arms is out of business but theres no wrong question?  and their info might still be on their web page? i quit looking when they said they where done sorry.

@sketch, yea - I' guess I'll take the necro of the year award:thumbup:

Olympic is still going last I checked (said they are going through a "transition" period - new owners taking over and the future isn't exactly certain). My 07FFL buddy says he can build me a cali registered single shot .45ACP pistol, my understanding is that after I take delivery of it, I can legally convert it to a fixed 10 round semi auto config and it would be considered "amateur gunsmithing" and thus legal as long as I keep it in compliance with the f@#&ed up laws we have to deal with here:hornet:

http://www.olyarms.com/

Edited by guruofhotrod

well n good bro! so you have a slick side upper. no forward assist and that is your question? it should work if the ej port is the proper size on the areo upper.. you may have to over size the port to fit a .45 size case but its doable with a dremmel.. hope i understand the question?  as far as the laws go your better off moving.. ?

Edited by sketch
Shits

Guru, you need to know the specs on drilling a standard upper, to run the Oly parts? Really, it's only the ejector.

You need to get the ejector assemblies from them before they shut their doors,if they shut their doors.  My order from them, when they announced they were closing, took 2.5 months to ship... I'm just sayin'...

Here's the template to drill a standard upper, in order to function with their PCC builds, and run their ejector:

OlyArms drilling template.png

Right on! Thanks 98, I owe you one:thumbup: @sketch, Hmmm  I grew up in bellevue, was last there visiting in '08 things have really changed since the '70s but I still miss the northwest, you're tempting me!

Now, to find out if they'll sell a barrel? I know they sell just the BCG - I'll keep you guys posted on the progress - this one should move along pretty good!