• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Build a Light Weight 308 AR

imschur

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here it is, I finally received the Gen 3 SI Defense upper receiver, which checked in at just shy of 12 oz w/o dust cover and forward assist).  I have 2 more mods needed, which should shave another 1-2 oz (lighter pistol  grip, cut carbon fiber hand guard to mid length specs)

2012-06-10_13-48-09_413.jpg

I'll have pics up when completed.  It is looking like 6lbs, 7 oz w/o sights and ammo.  That is with the 18 inch barrel plus flash hider.  I can't wait to get this dialed in  <thumbsup>

Edited by Glockslap

• 2 months later...

Cut carbon fiber at your own risk, the dust is very bad for your lungs.  I cut one of the Carbon Arms carbon fiber tubes for my AR using a bandsaw with a shop vac as close as possible to the blade, a fan blowing any remaining dust away from me and a respirator.  I smoothed the clean edges of the cut with a Cratex  wheel and my dremel.  Came out very clean and nice.  Blue painter tape to mark and keep splintering to a minimum.

Thanks-had it cut at a golf shop.  Came clean, albeit a little short (2mm)-but no biggie.  At the very least, it is not touching any part of the block and gives it a little more room to "breathe."  Still protects the gas tube.  Going to *try* to shoot it this week-but no promises.  <munch>

• 3 months later...

Sorry guys, I've been out of the game for a while, and had an issue with the upper/lower halves fitting properly, causing me to hand sand the rear receiver pin  >:(

Anyway, looking to get it buttoned back together, get the gas adjusted, and give you all the final weight and function check.

I really do apologize it has taken so long.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I cheat and just buy a complete LW gun? 7.1lbs

http://www.christensenarms.com/products/ca-10-recon/

Ha, OMG...there is no cheating with something like that. I think you just added one of those to my future shopping cart. That's until I looked up the prices on their firearms.

I'd rather build my own for a lot less. The carbon fiber barrel would raise a flag for me too. How are they over the long haul compared to other proven and cheaper barrels? Would it even be worth the cost versus the weight loss?

Edited by jrtmasp

How many rounds do you plan to shoot through it a year?

Not many.  Probably a few more to sight it in, then test it for final accuracy.  I like it because it is fully functional for hunting, predator defense, and if I stumble onto some ne'erdowells a couple of 20 round PMAGS of .308 is a comforting option.

CF barrels are lighter, but it's not like what y'all think. I have a 17" custom barrel. It is a bull barrel all the way to the .875 rifle length gas block. Then it is a heavy contour to the threads, matching the diameter of my BABC.

My barrel is considerably lighter than a stainless steel barrel, but only if the SS barrel was the same contour. I had planned on a sub 10lbs rifle but my fully loaded rifle weighs in at 12.4 lbs. I estimate that my 17" custom bull/heavy barrel is near the same weight as a 18" mid weight or a 16" HBAR. It is still faaaar from being light, it's just lighter than it would've been had it been all steel.

As for barrel life, the guys who made my barrel (Proof Research, out of northern Montana) advised that CF barrel owners could expect up to 15k rounds before losing their zero (depending on how you shoot). The best part is, rather than buy a new barrel, $150 and they rechamber your .308 Win to a .338 Fed. Two guns out of one barrel.

A custom stainless barrel will run about $500-$600. A custom CF barrel from Proof Research will run about $950. Factor in th weight savings, and the extended life, and you almost see your money back.

I know I will never outlive the life of my barrel.

An 18" pencil weight barrel would have been a huge contender for me, had it been available when I bought my barrel. The deciding factor for me then would have been the expected usage of my rifle. For a 1-3 shot group, I have no doubt that the pencil barrel could be a MOA shooter (maybe even sub-MOA if you're lucky). The problem for me would then be, what about the other 17 rounds in my mag? How accurate would the rest of my rounds be out of that super-hot, skinny barrel?

If I were building a hunting rifle, then the pencil barrel would've been my choice, hands down! In fact, if I ever build another .308, it would be for hunting, and that might be the exact barrel choice I make. Instead, this last build was designed as mid-range (600 yrds) combat/precision rifle. I needed something a bit heavier for continuous use.

Like I mentioned earlier, I get all the benefits of a bull barrel at the weight of a midweight contour.

I'm not going to lie. I've heard the horror stories, and was warned by many. Each horror story had similar characteristics, and they were usually a combination of military use, rapid fire and heavy caliber. The way i see it, mil guys can break anything, the cost of .308 ammo will prevent me from too much rapid fire, and this is far from a .50 cal.

The only other barrel that would've changed my mind was the FA 16" rifle length barrel. FA discontinued the barrel just before I got my rifle, and finding one for sale proved to be futile. About 2 months after I got my CF barrel, FA announced they were rereleasing the 16".... My heart sunk. To me, that is the perfect barrel. I love my CF barrel, but that 16" would've been my choice from the beginning.

Oh, and since 98 brought up the topic...

This video always makes me feel better.

• 9 months later...

Wow, I need to weight my ar-15, I think it is in the same ballpark. How is your recoil? do you have an adjustable gas block? Amazing. I think in all fairness especially in these political correctness times, there should be an opposite topic started, ( the heaviest) then perhaps I could contribute. :'(

6lbs 11 oz even with the new 18 inch barrel with hider on it.  It weighed 1lb 15.4 oz (and ounce lighter than advertised).  So all I need now is the LW receiver + a few other things, but as it stands now it is 6lbs 3.4 oz with sights.  Pics tomorrow  <thumbsup>

What Robocop is not telling you is, that he put not only his children through College ,but others also, waiting for his CF barrel to get built .

Sorry Bro, I couldn't resist. <laughs>

I like how he says , we've never done this before ,  this is the first time  ,            right !

Edited by survivalshop