JD Machine PR 3

DNP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

true but he's very humble in our communications. I cant even take a good picture of my finger over the lens.

He's too humble, IMHO...  ;D  There's MAD skills there, and if I say it, he won't admit it.  He's good.  <thumbsup>

DNP, Doooooon't you get upset with me...  You're the one that posted your own pics (and let the cat outta the damn bag...).  ;D  I'll take full credit for derailing your thread, though.  :o

ehhh...It's all just point and click.  I just like to play around with camera and it's been my main hobby for the last 4 years.  But back on track, The UBR and Miad showed up today and I'm itchin to at least finger tight this thing together so I can see what I have.  :banana:

<laughs>  Let the one person here who doesn't "pre-assemble" step forward...I'm pretty sure you won't find anyone out of this group

So here's a sneak peak to the finished product.  She's 34.5" closed up and 37.5" open.

I made sure I used the wife's point and shoot for this set...I'll get some good ones when she's actually assembled.  I made a lot of rookie mistakes just getting it finger tight....we'll just say the gas block comes off pretty easy now :o

post-91-136297263409_thumb.jpg

post-91-136297263411_thumb.jpg

Rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel.  Looking at it now, I would have preferred a carbine gas system and shorter hand guard, but I'm really curious to see how this barrel shoots.  I'm not sure if I'm going to run that top rail, or if I'll put the regular rail back on the PRI.  The gas block, hand guard and receiver rails all lined up real nice when I checked it out before throwing the top rail on.  There's one short piece of rail missing in those pics just behind the block.  If the rail stays, the short piece will go on and whatever I wind up with for irons will be mounted there.

So I swung by JD machine today... (quick break to my story to say I held a 308 that had been cut down to a 13.7" barrel with a pinned Noveske pig and Troy Hangaurds-awesome)....back to the story-I wish I had stopped by the shop before I tapped the rear take-down detent hole.  I began assembly of the lower last night and ran into two snags.  The first came up that the bolt catch was a little on the fat side and would bind in the up position and stick there.  Nothing a jeweler's file and eventually a dremmel couldn't fix. It's ugly, but it works.  The next snag, oh boy.  I've screwed up now.  Dropped the detent and spring into the back of the receiver....and they disappear.  :o  Prior to the build, I had noticed that the hole had already been drilled larger to be tapped and set screwed "awesome-they knew I was going to do this anyways".  I measured the hole and compared it to the chart on my taps.  The hole was just right for a 8-32 tap and I had already bought various stainless set screws and had a couple 8-32's on hand...so I tapped it.  Back to the point where I had just dropped the spring in... :o  The set screw I have doesn't seat deep enough to put pressure on the spring...ouch.  I called JD and they told me that they use the same threaded pin that goes though the bolt catch (long skinny guy with threads on one end) and that I could swing by and they would give me one.  I knew right there I was screwed, because I had already figured out that the threads on that pin are 6-32.  I stopped by to see Rob at JD on the way home and he gave me a couple of the pins...though, they're really not going to do much for me now...this info could have saved me some huge trouble before I started though.  Oops.  I have a plan to fix my problem and will get it taken care of tomorrow night.  I also asked if they had been having trouble with the bolt catch (rumor I had heard was that a lot of their 5.56 lowers were extremely tight on the tolerances) and he was straight up about it.  "what's your serial??...yeah, the first batch was all pretty tight"  He tossed me a new bolt catch and said to give it a try.  We'll know about that one tomorrow too.  So, I'm not off to a perfect start, but she's getting closer. ;D

Didn't think of that, very cool.  I checked out my receiver though, and I wouldn't have room to step up much larger than the 8-32 I already tapped...it's right out to the edge of the receiver. ???  I'm thinking I'm going to "carefully" drill out the hole a little deeper and pick up a 1/2" or longer set screw...should work as long as I don't bang up the threads too much when I drill. <dontknow>

Update:

1/2" set screw did the trick <thumbsup>  Tried out the new bolt catch JD gave me and it was better, but still hangs up.  I put the dremel-fied catch back in and figure after a few hundred rounds through it, maybe I'll try the better looking one and see if the receiver has loosened up a touch.  It doesn't need much, but I really don't want to file anything else down right now.  Lower is 100% complete with UBR attached  ;D  I'll get the upper finished up hopefully Wednesday night while the wife is at school <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah...Mine wasn't tapped, but it had been drilled out.  The hole mic'd out larger than it should have been for 6-32.  Serial Number on mine is 57.  They also had the first batch waaaay tight on the tolerances, so hopefully you won't run into too many of those issues.  It didn't wind up being too big of a deal...just had to get a longer set screw and thread the hole a little deeper.  Seeing as no LPK's come with two of those pins, I would think the lower receiver SHOULD come with one.  I didn't pick mine up straight from JD, and would have never figured out what their plan was without calling Rob about it.  Oh well, she's all patched up and functions just fine now.  <thumbsup>

Still looking for free time to get the upper assembled...maybe this weekend if the wife lets me have a break.  I've only had two days I didn't work so far this month...and this weekend she has plans for me to start tearing apart a bathroom :o

Awesome...yeah, when I talked to Rob it sounded like they knew the first batches were a little too tight and have smoothed things up a touch.  I'll just have to shoot mine a little more to break her in.  I'm getting close.  For the most part it's assembled.  Trying to decide on a scope and mount right now.  Decided to ditch the PRI top rail.  It's a bit heavier than I thought it would turn out, but it's sitting right at 10lbs with empty mag and seems really well balanced.

Nice build, I have held that same .308 with the Pig break. I bought my lower from them that day, it is one of their Armalite models, they are making the uppers soon according to Rob. I was thinking of the same hand guard for mine, I have a 21" Noveske barrel and want to cover as much barrel as possible maybe the LaRue 13'2". I hope my parts kit fits well, my number is 0001 for my lower.