• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ma Ten monolithic ?

classacked

I measured my two Battlecomp's. The BABC is 2-9/16" and the v1.5 is 2-1/8"..

My 14.5" barrel with the crush washer and the v1.5 is 16-1/16"

Comparing the two comps, if the v1.5 adds 1-9/16" to the OAL, simple math says the BABC should add 1-15/16" to your barrel. Whoever told you 13.7", might be wrong, or they weren't counting the barrel threads.

I wouldn't go under 14". At worst you might be 1/4"-3/8" too long, but believe me that's much better than being too short.

Don't take my word as gospel, just be cautious. I haven't installed my BABC yet, so I can confirm how much it exactly adds to the OAL.

I'm sure that I'm showing my ignorance here, but since I have not handled one of these Mega monolithic uppers, I'm going by the descriptions furnished by the other posters. When I suggested that you might have to modify the bottom of the rail for access to the clamping screws on the YHM (or other) gas blocks that are being discussed, I was thinking that the four clamping screws that I see, that are mounted to the left and right of the barrel centerline on the pictured YHM gas block, are unlikely to line up with the slots that are routinely located along the centerline on the bottom of most rails to allow you to tighten the two set screws that many of the low pro gas blocks have on the bottom. If you're unable to angle your allen wrench to reach those clamp screws, you might be forced to make some other access holes if you elect to go that route. Regarding the welding of the BABC on after the barrel, gas tube, gas block are mounted, that doesn't provide a practical means of replacing the gas tube (should it become necessary) without grinding off the weld to remove the muzzle brake, unless there is enough room between the front of the rail and the back of the BABC to slide the GB forward to get access to  drive out the roll pin retaining the gas tube in the gas block does it?

I have given up hope on the monolithic set as it will be too much of a pain in the ass with my state's legal requirements.

Not sure if I will build a Mega set or just buy a complete rifle (looking at the Larue 16" OBR, LMT MWS 16" CL, PWS MK214/216, and the Noveske N6 14.5")

Wouldn't cross the Colt SP901 or even the FD308 off my list either... <lmao> too many quality guns....ugh

Sorry to hear that you've decided not to take the plunge and build one yourself, Hope we didn't scare you off. There are certainly many quality .308 AR's to chose from these days. I think that the only reason to build one yourself would be if you would get pleasure from the process of actually doing it yourself, or if you want it spec ed out in a way not commercially offered. I'm not sure that you really save any money, maybe just get a better appointed gun for equal money. I think it's kind of like the difference between someone that would choose spend a certain amount of money to build a custom car/MC instead of going  into a dealership and spending an equal amount to buy a car, that may or may not be better, but is, at least when you buy it, not unique from that model bought by anyone else.

No problem. No one scared me off. Just with what I wanted, and the commercial oferings out there, I just decided it will be easier to buy one that intrigues/intrigued me the most.

At the end of the day, I had my dealer here in CT order me the LMT MWS 16" CL barrel. Now it is just a wait (6-8 weeks) although I hope it doesn't take that long....

Of course, a build is not out of the question, more like a probability.

• 6 months later...