Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best bang for buck ar10 scope


lsnone
 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, lsnone said:

 Any ideas on a low cost good scope?

First of all what is your budget for the scope?   Then you have to realize that you can generally get a low cost scope, or a good scope, but not both.  It all comes down to what your spending limit is, what features you want, and what clarity of glass you are willing to use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have several Vortex scopes among others, Vortex has several levels of quality and several countries building them. Brother has a Crossfire 2, bottom end Vortex, I have mostly Viper HST's and PST's which are mid level + and can tell the difference between those and the Crossfire. Have a couple Lupolds, couple Burris, All good warranties and good scopes. Everyone will probably tell you something different but 700-1000 for a scope you can get into pretty clear optics up to about 24X and see a fly on a 200 yard target. If you want more magnification, either you will pay more or loose image quality. According to one of the Cerakote Ninjas I trade posts with, the Vortex will not take the heat that a Lupold will, if that makes a difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good glass is expensive but good glass almost always comes with a lifetime warranty. You only buy it once. You can always put it on another gun down the line.

The Bushnell AR series scopes have been on sale a lot of places. I have one on a rifle. When it was on another rifle I hit steel at 800 yds.

The 1" tube ran out of elevation and I had to use the reticle to get the rest of the elevation. Inside 500 yds the scope works fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Good glass is expensive but good glass almost always comes with a lifetime warranty. You only buy it once. You can always put it on another gun down the line.

The Bushnell AR series scopes have been on sale a lot of places. I have one on a rifle. When it was on another rifle I hit steel at 800 yds.

The 1" tube ran out of elevation and I had to use the reticle to get the rest of the elevation. Inside 500 yds the scope works fine.

What Bushnell model scope did you buy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scroll through Primary Arms. They sell decent glass at affordable prices. But as everything else in life. You get what you pay for. A rule of thumb that some people use is that the glass should almost equal the price of the rifle. But everybody has their own opinion. And we all know what opinions are like. :laffs:

When you have a moment. Why don't you swing by the introductions area and give us a little insight on yourself, and the plans for your build.

We're a friendly bunch for the most part and don't bite.

Edited by Rsquared
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the Sightron s-tac 3x16x42, and the glass is superb. Midway has it on sale.

I also have the Arken Optics 4x16x50 SH4 but the turrets are bulky... super clear glass.

Vortex, however, has been great to me for a few customer service issues.. 

But, my favorite scope is my Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2022 at 9:54 AM, Albroswift said:

According to one of the Cerakote Ninjas I trade posts with, the Vortex will not take the heat that a Lupold will, if that makes a difference. 

I get around this by not baking the glass.  I still used the Cerakote H-Series, I just let it air cure.  It gets a 3-minute quick flash in the oven, just to set it, but I don't let it do a full oven-cure.  The only reason for that it not baking o-rings and other seals that might be throughout the scope, turrets, etc.   :thumbup:

For the record, I've done a full bake on an EOTech 512 - twice.  That thing is still alive...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, 98Z5V said:

I get around this by not baking the glass.  I still used the Cerakote H-Series, I just let it air cure.  It gets a 3-minute quick flash in the oven, just to set it, but I don't let it do a full oven-cure.  The only reason for that it not baking o-rings and other seals that might be throughout the scope, turrets, etc.   :thumbup:

For the record, I've done a full bake on an EOTech 512 - twice.  That thing is still alive...   :laffs:

You should be able to bake it to the same temp it would experience in a car on a hot day. Difference is Vortex would stand behind the hot car, maybe not so much if it had evidence of a baked on coating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...