• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

It’s so close!!! But…nah…

EdMP3006

I should’ve figured something was gonna go wrong when I was getting my reloading stuff together pretty easily…and today it happened…

Since I got some space cleared out, I decided to try to get my scope mounted before taking it to the range to sight it in…welp, the one piece mount doesn’t want to fit into my AR rail…it’s like they just don’t line or are just slightly too big…

5B8DEA04-E8C6-403A-BB4E-339EA4B2C9C3.jpeg

2D27CE06-F019-4BD4-A8AE-2FE325482690.jpeg

19D65B7F-69C4-4205-AA72-084721266E1B.jpeg

Something is off it's either the 1pc mount of the rail.

pic.jpg.79e97312b15104e5dbcc8e966ed41eac.jpg

Break out the calipers and measure the width of the lugs on the one piece mount along with the centre to centre distance. 

The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206″ wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true ‘Picatinny’MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next.

4 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Something is off it's either the 1pc mount of the rail.

pic.jpg.79e97312b15104e5dbcc8e966ed41eac.jpg

Break out the calipers and measure the width of the lugs on the one piece mount along with the centre to centre distance. 

The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206″ wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true ‘Picatinny’MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next.

the rail spacing on the upper averaged 5.06mm, the 3 “ribs” on the mount averaged 5.0mm, but the space between the ribs on the mount weren’t even…one was 34.77mm (front) and the other was 35mm (rear)

Was it the width of the 'lug' you measured as that 0.206"/5.234mm, the centre to centre distance is measureed from centre of gap to centre of gap and  is 0.394"/10.01mm 

Those are for picatinny rails.

The centre to centre distance of the gap is the critical dimension. 

Out of curiosity do you have another rifle or friend with rifle that you can try the one piece mount onto? also try a known one piece onto the rifle.

Hopefully it's the mount that is out of spec as that's an easier fix

13 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Was it the width of the 'lug' you measured as that 0.206"/5.234mm, the centre to centre distance is measureed from centre of gap to centre of gap and  is 0.394"/10.01mm 

Those are for picatinny rails.

The centre to centre distance of the gap is the critical dimension. 

Out of curiosity do you have another rifle or friend with rifle that you can try the one piece mount onto? also try a known one piece onto the rifle.

Hopefully it's the mount that is out of spec as that's an easier fix

My dad might have a rail I can try, but other than that I don’t have access to another rail to try…

If it comes down to custom fitting - I'd fit that scope mount, and file it to fit the upper...   WAY before I'd file on the upper, to make a mount fit. 

Something is definitely off, between those pieces.  That's Arken's scope mount. 

51W60KxvxSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

If it comes down to custom fitting - I'd fit that scope mount, and file it to fit the upper...   WAY before I'd file on the upper, to make a mount fit. 

Something is definitely off, between those pieces.  That's Arken's scope mount. 

51W60KxvxSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Arken contacted me this morning and apologized for the specs being off...they asked me to measure the distance between the lugs and apparently the measurements are bad, so they had me fill out a replace and return form...I'm just getting them to replace it for me...but you're right Tom, if it happens again, I'll file the lugs to fit the upper...

10 hours ago, EdMP3006 said:

Arken contacted me this morning and apologized for the specs being off...they asked me to measure the distance between the lugs and apparently the measurements are bad, so they had me fill out a replace and return form...I'm just getting them to replace it for me...but you're right Tom, if it happens again, I'll file the lugs to fit the upper...

That's some damn good Customer Service, right there - VERY well done!!!   :banana::lmao::hail::thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another kicker....managed to get another rail to try the mount on, my stepsons AR.....and wouldn't you know, it fit perfectly....so I sent another email to Iron Ridge Arms, after I already sent one with the dimensions and images they wanted to see...I'm pretty sure they are just going to ignore me and basically tell me to fornicate off....their poop ain't cheap either...

13 hours ago, EdMP3006 said:

Pretty much...now I have to figure out how to get some new rings...hopefully I can get a trade off of a set of Seekins Precision 30mm rings I had for the AR previously...we shall see...

I'm a big fan of the Warne Maxima steel QD rings, when I need to use rings.  Worth looking into, brother.   :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Well that's a kick to the nuts with a steel toed boot.

The board recomended solution is buy new rings (2pc to allow use of rifle) and a new rifle that works with the current 1 piece scope mount. Many new rifles begin as a spare part :popcorn:

Yea, normally I would've gone with single rings like I usually do, but decided to try the one piece time....LOL, that's what I get!