You guys who like to shoot .22 and might be bored

imschur

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

.22 - boring?  Here is 14 pounds of pure accuracy. 20" Douglass match barrel based upper built by Compass Lake Engineering. Lyman 93 globe site with clear plastic apertures on the front. CLE National Match rear sight. Barnes Precision lower with Jard trigger 1 1/2 #. Buttstock pocket filled with lead shot for balance. Not quite as ergonomic as my Anschutz 8001 but not bad.

Ken

semi-spacegun.jpg

Thanks unforgiven,

Sort of a strange story behind this one.  I had purchased a .223 Del Ton rifle kit from Midway back when ARs and parts were rather scarce. I assembled it and found that with the rear site centered the point of impact was about 15" right at 100 yds.  Obviously the front sight base was not vertical.  I called Del Ton and they were very good about dealing with it.  As they are only an hour and a half or so away I arranged to carry it to them. When we arrived the lady asked if we could come back in an hour so the wife and I took a little tour around Elizabethtown.  When we got back to Del Ton they had my upper "fixed."

It was now centered but with the rear sight adjusted all the way down I had to run the front post up so far that I could see light under the disk in order to regulate the elevation.  Back to the factory again (their UPS label). This time I punch marked all of the parts so I could figure out what they replaced.  The upper came back and the elevation was regulated.  But all of the parts were the same as I sent.  Bent the barrel(?)  When I next gave it a workout it pulled apart several cases - not the head but about half way up the case body.  I pulled the barrel and examined the chamber with a piece of wire with a hook on the end.  At the position where the cases broke was a distinct ridge in the chamber.  It looked like it was carved out with a serrated knife. Back to the factory again.  This time they polished the chamber somewhat.  When it came back I was rather disgusted and tossed it aside.

I had been considering a  dedicated .22 LR upper. Given the experience with the above referenced fiasco I decided "no more peasant rifles."  I went with the top of the line - CLE.  I like the AR rear sight but I hate the loss of sight radius with the front sight at the end of the handguard. I therefor decided on the "space gun" sight arrangement at the end of the barrel. I had a Lyman 20 sight with the sideways dovetail and as I did not plan to remove the globe I asked CLE if they could use it.  They said the best thing would be to send them the sight and they would assemble the upper to fit the sight.  Supposed to take 5 weeks.  5 MONTHS later I got an email.  "Your upper is done but we cannot figure out how to mount the front sight." I called and reminded them of our conversation 5 month ago and how it was to me mounted.  I had the upper a few days later.  Ended up changing the globe to a 93 and put the 20 on my old Mossberg 144.

To complete the Del Ton story... after a year or so I pulled out the polished chamber upper and tried it out.  Sometimes it would group here and sometimes there and sometimes not at all. The barrel came off of the upper and went under the (12 pound) hammer (on my kindling wood splitting block). But there is more.  Some months later I was looking at some AR parts at the Fayetteville, NC gun show.  I asked the seller where his A2 buttstocks came from.  He said Elizabethtown.  I began to relate my Del Ton story.  The girl at the table chimed in "...and we did this and that..."  It was the lady from Del Ton whom I had seen for all of a couple of minutes about 3 years before.  The bottom line... they had hired a fellow to make barrels, he could not but had produced about 200 attempts before they fired him. Apparently a few of them escaped quality control - and I guess I got one. This made sense as a local gunsmith had put together a couple of dozen Del Ton kits at about the same time and had no complaints.

Ken

I have a White Oak Armament upper with NM pined rear sight.1/4X1/4 rear .030 sight w .52 front sight [think that's right].Benn shooting small matches at Izaak  Walton. It's by the house. The sent an allen wrench to adjust the front sight for windage. My groups pull right and the range is only 50 yds.. I know it's me. but seeing how you added weight to you're rifle I might do the same to get more solid.

• 1 year later...

Just installed a set of tech front and peep sights on my old 10/22 dating to 1977. Took it up and dialed in the sights in three minutes! I like them so much I am going to take the scope off my stainless 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock and put tech sights on it as well! Couldn’t stop shooting it today it was so much fun.after 200 rounds my fingers finally got sore from loading magazines. Was getting my old one ready to pass on to my son, who prefers iron sights. (Has young eyes).

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/

I heard nothing but good about those tech sights from people who mounted them on 10/22's, SKS's, and even the rear of AK's......only complaints to be had were made about them not being military grade like the combloc ones.  ....hmmmmm, go figure......

39 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Tech Sights are badass on a 10/22.  I've got one 10/22 that's set up as the perfect Appleseed Trainer rifle, and that's the one that I put the Tech Sights on.  :thumbup:

I was reading the Appleseed web site, and they recommended the Techs so that was good enough for me. Easy to install and a great sight picture, exactly the same one I have on my M1A. I got the 200 model, a single aperture, but adjustable for windage and elevation at the back sight. And elevation on the front as well.

• 8 months later...

If one is good, two is better, right? Got such a smokin hot deal I had to get two. One replicates my full size 1911 and the other my Officer 1911. These GSG's feel exactly the same as a full size 1911. Will be visiting the range tomorrow and give a full report.

20190116_123839.jpg

20190116_123910.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sisco said:

If one is good, two is better, right? Got such a smokin hot deal I had to get two. One replicates my full size 1911 and the other my Officer 1911. These GSG's feel exactly the same as a full size 1911. Will be visiting the range tomorrow and give a full report.

20190116_123839.jpg

20190116_123910.jpg

Awesome looking firearms.  Where did you get them?

Took them to the range today. 200 rounds and 2 hours of fun! The full size was right on the money at 10 yards, the 922 needed sight adjustment, but now is locked in as well. Both guns came with front sight inserts and allen wrenches so you can adjust elevation, as well as drift the rear sight for windage. Just a couple of FTF’s, as I learned you need to position rounds in the magazine correctly, especially the first round to feed. After that no problems with CCI Mini Mags. I was using silouhette targets, and could consistently put shots into the smaller red circle for headshots at 10 yards. Next time out, 25 yards. So, $15 on ammo today instead of $65. Saving the extra for a 10mm 1911.

3 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

Cool!  Very happy you had a great time with them!

I had one a few years ago, and loved the way it felt and shot. Only problem was it was way too fickle with what ammo it liked that mine went down the road.

Bubba, about four years ago, I started noticing that I was having ammo issues in 22’s that had always been reliable. My son started noticing the same thing. To be blunt, I think a lot of 22 lr manufacturers are simply putting out crap now. I have had some batches where I had a third misfires or jams! To name names, Federal, Winchester, and Browning. No problem yet with Remington, but I have stopped buying any 22 lr except CCI. And presto, all my problems went away.

My 22lr ammo runs the gamut from fresh to 15+ years old....and none of that seemed to matter in this pistol. Mine was a very early generation of the GSG 1911 series, and my recollection has those having much more sensitivity than later iterations. I really wanted it to work, and it couldn't do what I required of all my tools.....they must feed and function with everything I shove in them that is within specs for the caliber. My MKII and MkIV 22/45 Ruger can do this.....this one couldn't. Even with ammunition that worked decently, one had to keep a deathlock grip o  it for 100% function, it was that sensitive. ....

I loved the feel and fit, you are spot on with your assessment.  they are great for getting that correct and letting one use 22lr.