• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/18/2019 at 12:18 AM, bubbas4570 said:

Hell, to be honest, I still have bricks and 100 plastic boxes that are nearing 25 to 30 years old....those still work great.

I'm shooting .22 from the '70s and yes, it works great, llke the day I bought it.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, Sisco said:

Who wants one?

That is slicker than snot! I was laughing my ass off for the first few seconds. Would I want one, sure, I'd take one if it was given to me. I wouldn't want to pay for it or feed it. 

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I shot a long barrel 10/22 at any distance. That's squirrel head worthy. Nice!

I don't think my 10/22 Takedown Charger can do that. But I have a Volquartsen barrel coming in for it and I've been told that it'll turn it into a tackdriver. 

7 minutes ago, BrianK said:

It's been a long time since I shot a long barrel 10/22 at any distance. That's squirrel head worthy. Nice!

I don't think my 10/22 Takedown Charger can do that. But I have a Volquartsen barrel coming in for it and I've been told that it'll turn it into a tackdriver. 

It is a stainless heavy barrel with a 1x4 Simmons variable scope on it. Can get balky with standard velocity 22 LR’s but with CCI Mini Mags it is gangbusters.

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

It is a stainless heavy barrel with a 1x4 Simmons variable scope on it. Can get balky with standard velocity 22 LR’s but with CCI Mini Mags it is gangbusters.

That sounds like my dad's rifle.  We bought it for him for Father's day after he got a defibrillator implant and the doctor said he couldn't shoot long guns with recoil.  It is a great gun.

That's a lot of bullets. I think if there were any surprises you'd have seen them and maybe did with those few flyers.

I built the Takedown as a SBR just to see how small a rifle I could build. It takes down and would fit in a knife roll and no part is longer than 11". But accuracy is disappointing, at least to me it is. It's good enough for Steel Challenge though which is where I use it. If I still hunted it would be good enough for small game. Maybe not a squirrels head though, and it has no "holding" qualities. It's not a long range rifle.

Charger_SBR_(1).jpg

I assume the Volq' barrel will have a tight chamber but I don't know for certain. I've never had a tight .22 chamber in a semi-auto so don't know what to expect. It's been on order since 5/15 and should ship in a few weeks. I'll see what I see after it arrives (obviously). Right now the Takedown wears a red dot, but I have a 2-9 scope that I bought for it that it rarely wears except for testing. It might wear it more frequently if the new barrel works out. The scope would stay on the new barrel.

My accurate .22 is a Browning T-Bolt. The last time I shot it on paper at 50 meters it was incredibly accurate. That was 50 years ago. I bought it in Weisbaden (west Germany) Rod & Gun Club and while I know that it has hit everything I've put the 50 year old 7/8" scope on for all those years I haven't fired it at paper again in all that time (except to check zero). I should. That would be some enjoyable time at the range, esp' after I get the new barrel. If we get some warmish weather I'll do it soon otherwise it'll wait for spring. I no longer like the cold.

I see you're in Wisconsin, you know about cold weather. Right now we're having an extended warm spell, but it can change any day.

I have considered putting a better scope on the T-Bolt for long range competition (NRL?) and if it had a heavy barrel I would in a heartbeat since I don't hunt anymore. I still might do it for more trigger time and to get the rifle out of the safe and back doing what it does so well,  launching bullets. It's a shame to have it in there as a safe queen.

32 minutes ago, BrianK said:

That's a lot of bullets. I think if there were any surprises you'd have seen them and maybe did with those few flyers.

I built the Takedown as a SBR just to see how small a rifle I could build. It takes down and would fit in a knife roll and no part is longer than 11". But accuracy is disappointing, at least to me it is. It's good enough for Steel Challenge though which is where I use it. If I still hunted it would be good enough for small game. Maybe not a squirrels head though, and it has no "holding" qualities. It's not a long range rifle.

Charger_SBR_(1).jpg

I assume the Volq' barrel will have a tight chamber but I don't know for certain. I've never had a tight .22 chamber in a semi-auto so don't know what to expect. It's been on order since 5/15 and should ship in a few weeks. I'll see what I see after it arrives (obviously). Right now the Takedown wears a red dot, but I have a 2-9 scope that I bought for it that it rarely wears except for testing. It might wear it more frequently if the new barrel works out. The scope would stay on the new barrel.

My accurate .22 is a Browning T-Bolt. The last time I shot it on paper at 50 meters it was incredibly accurate. That was 50 years ago. I bought it in Weisbaden (west Germany) Rod & Gun Club and while I know that it has hit everything I've put the 50 year old 7/8" scope on for all those years I haven't fired it at paper again in all that time (except to check zero). I should. That would be some enjoyable time at the range, esp' after I get the new barrel. If we get some warmish weather I'll do it soon otherwise it'll wait for spring. I no longer like the cold.

I see you're in Wisconsin, you know about cold weather. Right now we're having an extended warm spell, but it can change any day.

I have considered putting a better scope on the T-Bolt for long range competition (NRL?) and if it had a heavy barrel I would in a heartbeat since I don't hunt anymore. I still might do it for more trigger time and to get the rifle out of the safe and back doing what it does so well,  launching bullets. It's a shame to have it in there as a safe queen.

Want to see Maine some day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just rebuilt the 10/22 Charger a few posts above. I had a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel on order for over 7 months and got a fire under me to get the gun rebuilt. So I cancelled that barrel and ordered a TacSol alum/w steel liner barrel. That saved me an inch of barrel (9 vs 10") and over 7 ozs of weight at the muzzle. I had the TacSol barrel in a few days. 

Very soon after I ordered some titanium parts from Power Custom to lower the lock time and to give me a larger charge handle. That has all been installed and I have yet to function test it or even sight it in. But it feels good. The difference over stock is huge with the lighter barrel. 7 ozs might not sound like much, but in a SBR it's huge. It would have felt much the same with the Vol' barrel since it weighed (on paper) 1/2 oz heavier than the OEM barrel. I'm soooo glad I made the change to TacSol.

Now waiting on warmer weather to sight it in and test it.