• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Almost complete build

Yamadawg

Hello all! Brand new member and first time poster here.

Well I pretty much have everything to complete my first .308 build but sadly STILL waiting on JD Machine to start popping out upper recievers.

List of parts so far;

JD Machine Lower with Big logo

Magpul UBR stock and MIAD grip

DPMS LPK

DPMS BCG

CAR-10 Buffer & Mod spring

Rainier Arms Match barrel

Noveske KX3 PIG

Troy Ind. TRX-13.8

Troy Ind. HK style sites

The rifle parts that are not already FDE will be Duracoated FDE. JD Machine will cut and thread the barrel to 13.7 and perm attach the PIG to it. Hopefully JD gets me my matched upper before I head to training and I can actually shoot it. Rather than a drawer full of gun parts. Cant wait to post pics when its complete.

:D Welcome brother Yamadawg!!!! I saw that 13.7" barrel with PIG at a gun show and then had a out of body experience. I bought my JD receiver set at the same time. Yeah that was back in January and I still have not received upper, maybe next week if they speak truth. Oh well it will be here when it get's here sure i will be happy with it. Nice build you are doing  <thumbsup>

Here's mine so far it looks like we are thinking almost alike  :)

post-1757-136297273566_thumb.jpg

Yes sir hahah. That is what it is going to look like. At least you got the handguards. I had my heart set on the JD ones but then had a change of heart because i love the way the continuous top rail looks so i went the TRX route. still light as can be too. well im glad im not the only one cutting the barrel. Too many people have already given me crap for making a true 16 inch .308. Yep the only thing missing is the upper receiver, then the machining of the barrel by them and then me and my buddy are going to Duracoat it. Keep me posted on the Uppers, I called RifleGear today because they stock JD Machine and they even said no luck with gettign thier orders filled

Oh sorry bro I didn't mean to imply I'm cutting my barrel. I'm ding a 16" but not cutting, LOL I don't have the balls to do that but I tell ya' it sure looks bad ass what you will have. Okay if I do another one i will cut it  ;)

So when do you think the uppers will come, any idea? I talked to them Monday last week and I was told two more weeks so that would put them Monday next week but  <dontknow>

Got the upper with Forward assist. Yea I have been calling them every other week and its always been"yea 2 more weeks". I went to the new shop 2 weeks ago and told them Ive been waiting forever. No one really cared. oh well the only time i did business with them is when they were gettign rid of thier Kaiser Defense lowers for 80 bucks. but dealing with them now is a pain

picked up the lower with big logo from a local shop and started my 10 day wait in november. but before i did i called jd and asked them how much an upper would be. they informed me that they didnt have any in at the time but they would be ready for the gun show in december plus they give a special price for the gun show so i went ahead and bought it and waited. showed up at the gun show in december ready to pick up an upper but was informed they werent currently in production. so from then on every two weeks i check and its always another two weeks.

Hello guys,

I was thinking of cutting my barrel to get a true 16". But

it would take longer and now I'm getting a 12" to 13" Samson quad rail. Would that look weird with the barrel barely sticking out ?

Has anyone picked up a Lewis Machine & Tool ar308 16" barrel mono top rail. Its cost is 2850.00 to 3250.00 . Its the best ar I have ever picked up. It set up and ready to go.The LMT butt stock is very nice. I think down the line I'm going to replace my Vltor for the LMT .

OMG BOB that's really funny!!! Today I went to a local gun shop to pick up some Slip 2000 lube. They had a LMT on the wall and I asked dude if i can see it. I fell in love with it. Was thinking i could have done this instead of my build for not much $$ difference. The LMT was .308 and had a $2890.00 tag on her and she was a 16". It was a quad rail, which I'm not stuck on having but she was an awesome machine indeed. She wasn't as heavy as I thought she would be either. My brother in law was with me, he pulled the BCG and thought it looked exactly like his SR25 BCG, yeah the finish of it and everything and I agreed too. But yeah she was a nice stick. Trigger was ok I guess, 2 stage......

Oh yeah your barrel. It's probably a matter of personal taste but I will tell you this, I'm doing 16" barrel and my hand guard is 14", I can't wait  <thumbsup> I wish now I would have gotten the JP enterprises 15.5" tubular hand guard, seriously I love that look....

I was told that the British military  bought 6500 LMT's . When you buy a LMT you get a nice Ergo  grip,  butt stock , good iron sights, and rail covers. When I bought my Sig they made a big deal about Magpul buttstock and grip, being a beginner I did'nt know that it was the cheapest parts Magpul makes. I have had alot of fun with my Sig but I would do things different today. This ar308 going to be a good piece of equipment. Most of my discussions have been good . You guys and this site have been so helpful, I am already thinking of my next build. Hoping that my 20 year old twins well want one or maybe the wife.

I was told that the British military  bought 6500 LMT's . When you buy a LMT you get a nice Ergo  grip,  butt stock , good iron sights, and rail covers. When I bought my Sig they made a big deal about Magpul buttstock and grip, being a beginner I did'nt know that it was the cheapest parts Magpul makes. I have had alot of fun with my Sig but I would do things different today. This ar308 going to be a good piece of equipment. Most of my discussions have been good . You guys and this site have been so helpful, I am already thinking of my next build. Hoping that my 20 year old twins well want one or maybe the wife.

LOL!!! my wife wants a .38 special, pink  :o  Her Bday is coming up in April.

But I wanna build that 300 BLK, and my 13 year old daughter will also turn 14 in April  ;D

Get it??? I bring her camping/shooting up in the Sequoias at least twice a year, well twice at the most.

Thats why its best to build your AR. You pick the parts and you know what you are getting.

And the GF wants a gun. Awesome in my opinion and yes she also wants it pink. I look at it this way, if itll keep her safe I dont care what color the weapon is. So when the guy breaks in the house and Im not there he might laugh as he sees the pink and black S&W .38 thats pointed at him but he will be crying or silent later..............

And hopefully I dont make her mad and she uses it on me lol thats why I dont keep mace in the house <thumbsup>

If you're running on a PC go to Microsoft Paint in your Accesories folder, in the programs files, open Paint and then do a file open in there. When you're picture opens then find where you can do a "resize". I think it's under the "tools" pull down menu or "format" whatever... Reduce it by 40 or 50% of original size and you should be good.