• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

they sent me my upper

NoFail

Hello No Fail,

Wow, I had never considered that junction but it makes sense to have it completely square like that to improve accuracy. I wonder if I could benefit from that myself... too bad he is way out in California. Well we got some resident experts in this area I can consult with and see what might be available. On the other hand I haven't noticed any marks on my bolt lugs though I sure will be inspecting them a lot closer now.

Thanks for the insight into this aspect. So was it the barrel extension lugs that were at issue there too, or just the lapping issue?

That is sure one sweet looking barrel you have there too. I know you must be really itching to get a few rounds through it. Are you going to do the rigorous break in?

I agree with you on the one front too though, I think the JD has one of the nicest tactikewl looks to them, balanced looking not too heavy and not too ornate... kind of tailored and business like with lines that evoke  a sense of smooth speed and efficiency. I got a feeling yours is going to rock at the range and get a lot of attention (i know mine has already).

Going to miss my baby for the next bit... heading off to the Philippines for a bit of vacation so I put the toys away in safe storage at a friends place til I get back and can get around to collect them.

My next goal when I get back is to buy a house (and hopefully it has a garage with at least half as much space as you have there).

The rifle looks great. What length handguard and barrel is that? I'm just getting started on a build and was seriously considering that FF tube. Does it use a standard barrel nut wrench? Do you know if anyone else's rail sections will fit it?

Thanks,  16" barrel & 14" FF tube. I like the tube it looks great, but now I wish I would have went with JP Enterprises 15.5" FF, but still this one is good. You definately need this wrench for the JD hand guard http://www.jsesurplus.com/barrelwrenchmultitooldpms-1.aspx

I bought the JD rails so IDK about that.

Hello No Fail,

Wow, I had never considered that junction but it makes sense to have it completely square like that to improve accuracy. I wonder if I could benefit from that myself... too bad he is way out in California ([glow=red,2,300]can send your upper to him, besides he's the one with the tool)[/glow]. Well we got some resident experts in this area I can consult with and see what might be available. On the other hand I haven't noticed any marks on my bolt lugs though I sure will be inspecting them a lot closer now.

Thanks for the insight into this aspect. So was it the barrel extension lugs that were at issue there too, or just the lapping issue? [glow=red,2,300] No bro, there were no issues. I just learned about the lapping in these forums, said what the heck I'm doing it. But as we were lapping I could see how un-flat it was, now it IS square with the uppers bore.[/glow]

That is sure one sweet looking barrel you have there too. I know you must be really itching to get a few rounds through it. Are you going to do the rigorous break in? [glow=red,2,300]well I've tried to do everything right so far, I'll try to adhere...[/glow]

I agree with you on the one front too though, I think the JD has one of the nicest tactikewl looks to them, balanced looking not too heavy and not too ornate... kind of tailored and business like with lines that evoke  a sense of smooth speed and efficiency. I got a feeling yours is going to rock at the range and get a lot of attention (i know mine has already). [glow=red,2,300]me gots that feeling too  <munch>[/glow]

Going to miss my baby for the next bit... heading off to the Philippines for a bit of vacation so I put the toys away in safe storage at a friends place til I get back and can get around to collect them. [glow=red,2,300]Have fun and return safe  <thumbsup>[/glow]

My next goal when I get back is to buy a house (and hopefully it has a garage with at least half as much space as you have there).

Thanks,  16" barrel & 14" FF tube. I like the tube it looks great, but now I wish I would have went with JP Enterprises 15.5" FF, but still this one is good. You definately need this wrench for the JD hand guard http://www.jsesurplus.com/barrelwrenchmultitooldpms-1.aspx

I bought the JD rails so IDK about that.

Why specifically this tool? is there an issue with using others? I called JD and asked them which wrench it used and the (seemingly clueless girl) said "The standard one."

Can you orient the rail areas at different positions? I'd like to have a rail at the front of the ff tube for the bipod, and one at the side near the receiver for my brass catcher if possible. Thanks for the info so far!

Why specifically this tool? is there an issue with using others? I called JD and asked them which wrench it used and the (seemingly clueless girl) said "The standard one." [glow=red,2,300]Because we tried the DPMS free float hand guard barrel nut wrench and it didn't work, the armorers wrench did work.[/glow]

Can you orient the rail areas at different positions? I'd like to have a rail at the front of the ff tube for the bipod, and one at the side near the receiver for my brass catcher if possible. Thanks for the info so far! [glow=red,2,300]You can mount up to a 3" rail on the very end of tube @ 9, 12 & 3 o'clock. On the bottom of tube you can mount up to at least 12" of rail. You would have to drill and tap for your brass catcher mount if that's where you want it on side near receiver, not a big deal to do that. [/glow]

I have heard brass catchers mentioned more than once,I have one but it just causes the occationnal FTE.Do you have to shoot slow to avoid problems? <dontknow>

I am doing a review on Selph Arms new brass catcher. Over on 68Forums, myself and one other member received them ahead of the market to do thourough testing and a review. I head to the range this weekend to do some field testing, but I dont anticipate any problems with FTEs. It has about an inch of space between the ejection port and brass catcher opening to not cause interference. I'lll be sure to do some rapid fire testing as well.

• 2 months later...

I've been putting this off. But just wanted to clarify that now that i have finished the assembly of my rifle, but I suppose I should refer to it as a carbine, I have nothing bad to say about the JD Machine receivers or anything. Everything is working perfectly, Pmags work great with it, everything. The thing fires like a dream and it has convinced me. It has convinced my stepson. He took one shot with it, one shot only from prone, hit his mark at 200 yards and now he wants one. I don't know what he'll do, he'll do it different, try to out do, and I hope that's what he tries to do. He asked what I dumped into it, I told him and he didn't balk. He was shooting his 30-06 bolt gun. That thing hurts & he's no wuss. This one I built no bad felt recoil at all, my .44 magnum lever action has more and you definitely feel it. So I am happy with the choices I made. I am very happy with the JP Enterprises parts that I used exclusively in the upper and also the JP fire control group I chose. I had no fitment issues with anything. And there is very little movement between the two receivers, then I did eliminate virtually all of it with a homemade wedge using some dense rubber foam material that has adhesive on the back of it. She is light, handy and looks to be a smooth & very accurate shooter. I was lucky to acquire the optic that I did. A used USO 1.5-6x28 with reticule in FFP. I wasn't interested in big time magnification, up to 9 or 10 power would be nice, the new Mark 8 Leupold 1-8x is nice but I just can't pull that off. But this USO is good enough, I never expected to shoot past 4/500 or so, and my environment does not usually support that anyway. So my dream was this relatively light and handy .308 gas gun that looks evil and I believe it is accomplished. Next stops 300 & 400 yards, I'll find some meadow up in the mountains to accommodate. So thank you JD Machine & thank you JP Enterprises and Slash and Magpul too. Thank You, Bradley, for that scope!!! <thumbsup>

post-1757-13629727633_thumb.jpg

post-1757-136297276332_thumb.jpg

i like the side mount reflex sight.  what mount are you using?

It's a "Blackhawk" mount. I got it and the sight at store called "Sheel's" in Reno. It was $50. The red dot is a

"Sight Mark". Not a top shelf sight but it was $89. Looks like the 200-300 dollar ones, I hope it's holds up as well  <dontknow>  The mount I was hoping it would fit under the scope mount up forward but it won't, so I had to put it under the ocular of the scope.

Brother Archangel, earlier today I was reading your thread about your new lightweight build. Looking forward to it.... You are heading in good direction. It will be light enough don't worry. My barrel 2 lbs 7 oz. It is not bad and I can wield it pretty good. I have the heavy UBR too and it helps a lot to balance it out. Makes it heavier but since it's balanced it really works everything out & feels real good. I know you aren't going that way with stock but yours will be lighter so that's good.

i was thinking on running a 45* mount on my long range ar15 and use a burris reflex.  just wasn't sure what mount you ran.  they make a 1o'clock and a 45* one.  i love that ubr stock but i can't see myself spending like 225 on a stock lol.  i like the reflex mounted like that cause you just turn the rifle a little bit and you are on target.  may even run that set up on my long range 308 that way heavier than the one i am building

your build looks siiiiiiick btw

yes UBR and Slash's CAR-10 XH buffer/spring = $370 to me  :cookoo:  I did not intend to spend so much when i first started project but then i could not control myself. Didn't take long to say  :fawkdance: the stash I'm going for it, paid cash for everything.

I zeroed the reflex sight over memorial day weekend. I found it is very fun to shoot that way. It works great and is very fast  <thumbsup>

• 2 months later...