• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS308 FEEDING PROBLEMS

I WAS JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH FEEDING ROUNDS  ON A DPMS 308? I HAVE A REMINGTON R25, AKA DPMS THAT WILL NOT FEED 147 GRAIN ROUNDS. IT WILL FEED 1 OR 2 ROUNDS AND THEN NOT STRIP ANYMORE AFTER THAT. I CALLED REMINGTON AND THEY HAD ME CALL DPMS AND THEY SUGGESTED TO USE A DIFFERENT BRAND OF AMMO AND A DIFFERENT WEIGHT. I DID THAT AND WENT TO 168 GRAIN REMINGTON MATCH AMMO WHICH FEEDS FINE, ALTHOUGH ONCE IN AWHILE IT WILL FEED AND EXTRACT AT THE SAME TIME WHICH LEAVES ME WITH A SPENT SHELL AND A NEW ROUND IN THE CHAMBER AT THE SAME TIME. I ASSUME THAT WITH 147 GRAIN AMMO THAT MY BOLT IS NOT BEING DRIVEN FAR ENOUGH BACK TO STRIP A NEW ROUND FROM THE MAGAZINE. I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE SLIGHTLY CHEAPER AMMO FOR TARGET PRACTICE, SO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT MAY HELP SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few things. DPMS did have some magazine issues a while back and they were replacing them as needed.  If your rifle is pretty new probably not the issue. Some folks have tweaked the lips of the mags to make them perform better.

Possibly order a C Products and a 7.62 Magpul Pmag and see if your troubles go away. Both are cheaper than a box of ammo and perform better than the factory mags

A few things. DPMS did have some magazine issues a while back and they were replacing them as needed.  If your rifle is pretty new probably not the issue. Some folks have tweaked the lips of the mags to make them perform better.

Possibly order a C Products and a 7.62 Magpul Pmag and see if your troubles go away. Both are cheaper than a box of ammo and perform better than the factory mags

+1

i will try the c products magazines next time since i have some of those. i did not at the time when i first fired my rifle. i got my r25 about 2 years ago when they first come out from remington, i just happen to luck into buying it when another guy could not. i think i got the first one in arkansas. but i have not been able to get back to the gun club that i belong to since i first got it to try thr c products magazines with the 147 grain ammo. i hope to soon. i will let you know if it works or not. i may just buy some pmag also to try out. thanks for your help.

I know I'm kinda late posting any thing in this thread . Hows the rifle shooting ? 

Are your 147 gr. projectiles in the form of 7.62 NATO ammo ?

Its not That it can't be fired in most 308's , but some match chambers may not like them at first or at all.

As said above ,keep it well wet with lube & of course try diff. manufacturer mags.

I had a similar problem with mine.  Worked the mags etc....  I would end up double feeding and crushing rounds.  Check the tips of your rounds after this happens.  Does it look like they are striking too low on the feed ramps.  I have to send mine in and have them recut.  Worked perfect after that.

well i wasn't expecting more responses, but since i have some more i will update a little more. the 147 grain is winchester 7.62 not straight 308. when i started using remington 168 grain match it shot fine for abount 60 rounds. i only had 2 misfeeds and both times i had a spent shell sitting on top of a fresh round in the chamber. they were not tightly jammed because i just pulled the charging handle back and rolled the gun on it's side and the both fell out. the bolt was not wet with oil, but it was oiled, but not maybe enough. i did not see any damage or marks on the rounds when they would not feed when using the 147 grain. as i think i said before it would eject the spent round, but not strip another from the magazine. i will order some pmag magazines and also try the c product ones that i have with the 147 grain and see if that makes a difference. plus i will make sure the bolt has plenty of oil on it. thanks for your ideas.

• 2 months later...

hello everyone. it has been awhile since i have been to the forum. in regards to my original post about my feeding problems on my r-25 308/dpms rifle. i bought some c products magazines and took them out last weekend. even with those magazines i still had feeding problems. so i sent a email to remington and they answered today. they said to turn my mag release in one more turn. that would hold the mag tighter and also more it up a little. i hope to try that this weekend and see if that may fix my problem. i made sure everything was lubed well and checked to make sure everything was tight. i still ran the 147 grain winchester 7.62 ammo since that was where most of my problems are and still remain. i still plan to get me some pmags for it and try those. i may just have to run the 175 grain to keep malfunctions down. and in case anyone is wondering if it is operator errors, i do not think that i am the problem. i just finished building my ar-15 in 223 and i ran 150 rounds thru it the same day with not one malfunction. so i am pretty sure that i am not the problem. but i have been known to be wrong before. anyway, i just wanted to update all of you that gave me some ideas of where to look. thanks for your time <dontknow>

You may just find that the gun is tight and once you get  some time on it with the heavier bullets it may be fine with the lighter stuff. PMAG is still worth while, you will like them.

FYI - I didnt reread the thread from the beginning but when we say run these things wet when new it means nearly dripping with oil (mobil 1) and not a light film like with an AR-15

I had a similar issue with an AR-15 and it was a problem with the gas block and tube alignment.

Im surprised Remington didnt send you to DPMS directly.

Thanks for the update. This is a curious one

I'm having a similar problem with my AP4.  Mine's a failure to extract, as is shown by the brass when I get it out.  It's notched and even torn some of the case rims.

My gunsmith said the factory chamber polish is fairly rough on these guns, and he can polish it out better without affecting accuracy.  He also said an extractor upgrade would help.

hello everyone. it has been awhile since i have been to the forum. in regards to my original post about my feeding problems on my r-25 308/dpms rifle. i bought some c products magazines and took them out last weekend. even with those magazines i still had feeding problems. so i sent a email to remington and they answered today. they said to turn my mag release in one more turn. that would hold the mag tighter and also more it up a little. i hope to try that this weekend and see if that may fix my problem. i made sure everything was lubed well and checked to make sure everything was tight. i still ran the 147 grain winchester 7.62 ammo since that was where most of my problems are and still remain. i still plan to get me some pmags for it and try those. i may just have to run the 175 grain to keep malfunctions down. and in case anyone is wondering if it is operator errors, i do not think that i am the problem. i just finished building my ar-15 in 223 and i ran 150 rounds thru it the same day with not one malfunction. so i am pretty sure that i am not the problem. but i have been known to be wrong before. anyway, i just wanted to update all of you that gave me some ideas of where to look. thanks for your time <dontknow>

Make sure there are no burrs on the extractor & yours also sounds like its got a rough chamber .

The rough chamber will slow the extraction down , which slows the BCG 's rear ward travel.

Also check to make sure your ejector is not too stiff & is moving freely in & out of the bolt.

With one round in the mag & upon firing , will the bolt stop lock the BCG back ?

I have found on some mags , you need to load them up & let them sit a couple of days loaded to break the spring in .

I'd never heard of the Remington versions having these problems, but I certainly had them with my LR308AP4.  I ended up bending the lips on the DPMS mags out and it fixed it.  Mine would usually jam on the second to last round in the mag.  The bolt was running up the bullet when it was out of the mag but not in the chamber and it usually ruined the bullet.  My situation was different than you are describing.  DPMS website has a forum and a lot of people wrote in about the issue.  The DPMS people that post on their own (and other) forum were pretty elusive about the whole thing.  I wasn't impressed at all.  On another note, I bought a DPMS 24" stainless barrel for mine and when I rebarreled, the bolt lugs didn't line up so I ended up with feeding and extracting problems as well as trashing the stock bolt.  Come to find out, the alignment pin that slides up into the upper's threading was off, so the lugs in the extension weren't properly aligned with the lugs on the bolt.  I suspect DPMS has some major quality control issues, and with enough warranty repairs and complaints, I'm sure they'll fix them.

once again i want to thank you all for your input on my feeding problems. i now have several areas to check out before i may be forced to send it into dpms. i will continue to keep you all updated as i get time to run out to the range. one other thing, not relating to this, but has anyone bought a mag loader for the dpms mags yet and if so what brand? thanks <dontknow>

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my experience with my two LR-308's, both custom home builds using 80% Tactical Machining lowers and DPMS complete upper assemblies (pictures coming soon):

DPMS mags:  both rifles cannot make it 5 rounds without jamming.

PMAG mags:  both rifles feed and extract beautifully.

So, I think the DPMS rifles are absolutely excellent.  Just make sure that you don't run the magazines that were designed by the guys who designed the rifles. :)

hello everyone. just wanted to update you all on my feeding problem. took my  r25 out today and took the bcg out and just lubed it all up real good. using my c products mags i shot 20 rounds without one ftf or fte. used an empty propane cylinder at 250 yards just to see if it would work ok, not so much as sighting in and i could tell by sound and visual that not one round missed. by the way it was only a 20 lb cylinder. hopefully when i can get more rounds thru it i can start using some less expensive ammo instead of match for target practise. thanks for all  your input

• 1 month later...

When mocking up my rifle, the bolt stuck closed. Thanks to imschur and some WD40, I did get it open. When I found no lube (type) recommendation in the DPMS manual, I thought I'd try some Mobil 1 since that is what I use in all of my cars. I was happy to see this thought confirmed here.

But, then I thought, "what about taking it one step further?"  Has anyone tried painting the inside of the upper and the BCG with Slick 50 or any of the engine additives with PTFE in them?  I am considering doing this and letting it sit on the parts during the build process.  Then wiping everything down and lubing with Mobil 1 when testing/break-in time comes.

The PTFE in these products is microscopic and shouldn't really clog up or change dimensions of anything, but it sure seems like it would raise the lubricity of the moving parts.  The only draw back that I can think of is that it might prevent the parts from "breaking in."  Perhaps I should wait until after some rounds have been fired.

What do you guys think??

DocLarsen