• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS308 FEEDING PROBLEMS

My AP4 308 was doing the same.

Creasing the brass with FTE and FTF it was like a single shot.

I took it in to my local shop and they shipped it to DPMS. The folks at DPMS repaired it and sent it back with no charges even though it was out of warranty.

The repair order stated they polished the chamber and fired 70 rounds.

I took it out today and it operated perfectly.

RC

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When my dpms was new it ran fine with ggg 147 gr for the first 20 or 30 rounds then I started having the same issue. The rifle was kept clean and I followed the break in instructions from the manual. After about 100 rounds one of the feed lips broke on the factory mag and I switched to a c products stainless mag which has worked great for 5 years of regular shooting. As far as the chamber roughness issue I polished mine with a chamber mop with a fine dry polishing compound. Used a cordless drill on it and has shot 1/2 moa ever since and no more feeding issues. The only other problem I had was a couple start loads wouldn't cycle but that was fixed with an adjustable gas block. Oh, and pmags seem to make the rifle cycle smoother than with metal mags.

• 1 month later...

has anyone polished the feed ramps to help with feeding problems??

Feedramps aren't the issue, man, unless they're really, really bad.  Post a pic of them - it's that easy to tell.  Put them up, and I can tell you if that's the issue or not.  <thumbsup>

has anyone polished the feed ramps to help with feeding problems??

these dam metal mags from dpms are really bad.

any instructions on "how to tweek the mag."

I've also used bearing grease on sides of bolt carrier and on the bolt

it self.

thanks, cablecardude..

Yes I have polished the feed ramps to see if it helped , but made no difference . I don't think there configuration makes much difference except with some bullet types ( short wide olgive)

There is a way to tweak mag lips ,but I have found that making sure they are free of imperfections & burr's helps a great deal. You can polish the underside of the feed lips also.

Brownells has a tool to manipulate the feed lips of metal mags.,be careful altering them, too wide & you run the risk of double feeds.

Try different magazine manufacturers ,some mags just don't work in some lower/upper combo's or factory set ups for that matter.

I asked about the feed ramps because, when I eject a live round the bullet and the case have sort of deep scratches. the scratches on the bullet will that effect flight of the bullet. I will try to take pictures  thank you for every ones replies..

Feedramps aren't the issue, man, unless they're really, really bad.  Post a pic of them - it's that easy to tell.  Put them up, and I can tell you if that's the issue or not.  <thumbsup>

The scratches on the bullet are from the locking lugs on the barrel extension. Happens every time you unseat a live round from the chamber, you might get some small lines on the bullet from feeding (maybe ), but doubt if they will effect bullet performance. Hell ,look what happens to a bullet when fired from the barrel.

Bullet is slapped against them by the extractor pulling the cartrige to the right & up ,to eject it , of course its no longer surposed to have a bullet on the case ,but the rifle doesn't know that . I would not worry about them, as said , try other mag(s)

ok, here it goes.. went to range yesterday- Friday. I loaded 10 rounds in dpms metal mag and it jammed.

bullet passed feed ramps but the neck of the case got hung up???

I loaded 10 rds. in a plastic p-mag flawless.. I then returned to the dpms mag and loaded "9" rounds.

holy crap "it worked".. WTF....

A buddy of mine was shooting cmmg in 308 we swapped mags and also jammed with 10 rds in clip.

his mag was marked a.c.s.?? my dpms mag worked fine in his rifle.

Anyone selling p-mags in 10 rds? ?????

message me pls.

once again thanks for everyones help.

thanks, Cablecardude.

Edited by cablecardude

• 2 weeks later...

The scratches on the bullet are from the locking lugs on the barrel extension. Happens every time you unseat a live round from the chamber, you might get some small lines on the bullet from feeding (maybe ), but doubt if they will effect bullet performance.

I have this happen on my gun as well, but it hasn't effected bullet accuracy at least when hunting (haven't shot on paper with them). I unseat the round when Im done in the field, move to anther area, spot an antelope, load up that round and bag some jerky.

On a side topic, I think my CH (DPMS stock) should be alot easier to pull back. I've greased the snot out of it, and the gun only has about 130 rounds through it ( I've heard the spring needs broke in) but seriously its a mother. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Edge, everything is stock. I have yet to build. Its a lr .308 DPMS.

Robo, thanks Ill, give that a try.

I know this is on the forum several places, but to save some time searching...what do you guys like for lubrication, and do you use any on the charging handle. ( Someone is going to have fun with that line ;D )

Spit always worked well.... Lol

Many of us soak the moving parts in full synthetic motor oil. I use some race quality Mobile1 for mine.

I recently started using FrogLube on some of my guns. That stuff is really nice.... Smells good too!

Fire Clean is another new one that is getting great reviews. I have yet to try it.

Fire Clean is another new one that is getting great reviews. I have yet to try it.

I've got the fireclean. definitely works amazingly for cleaning, haven't actually gone and shot anything that I've used it on yet though. Maybe tonight i'll shoot the new 1911 that I did with that, because the FFL I need to go pick up my 308 lower from has an in house range :D

Edge, everything is stock. I have yet to build. Its a lr .308 DPMS.

Robo, thanks Ill, give that a try.

I know this is on the forum several places, but to save some time searching...what do you guys like for lubrication, and do you use any on the charging handle. ( Someone is going to have fun with that line ;D )

I use lube on the top of the handle, and also soak all new parts, also wet the shit out of it on the first range session. AR's like it wet baby!

• 3 months later...

I have to bump this thread.  It has been a good read for me or anyone who owns the LR platform.

Someone may have said this earlier, but I was able to cure my FTF/FTE by removing the extractor and stoning off the burr on the claw.  16" LR carbine has Been 100% in 160 rds. since then.

I think my mags were a little rough, particularly under the feed lips.  Those burrs were also stoned off.

The P mags are great, but I have to use the DPMS 5 rd for hunting.  At least till they make 5 rd Pmags.