• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

(First post) Ejection problems on MK-3

CaveMan

Ran a few dozen more factory rounds through it today.  Everything worked properly except for the 10 round mags; most of the time they wouldn't feed even manually with Remington FMJ's.  The mags aren't marked and I can't remember if they are ProMags or DPMS.  Wish I could figure it out so I'll know which ones to avoid.  I like a shorter mag for shooting from the bench and for hunting just because they aren't in the way.  Maybe I can find my invoice and know what I bought.  (Getting old and senile sucks!)    Update:  Good old Midway and their order management system.  They were ProMags.  Should have known; that has been my experience with their products but there were some good reviews out there that indicated they had improved.  Guess not.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the barrel has real potential for accuracy.

Bob, you're not kidding. My 'sold' 18" SST was EXTREMELY accurate, albeit unreliable in the same manner as your's was prior to returning to CMMG.

But have you noticed that the barrel gets super hot, and stays that way for a long time after shooting? My range session includes around 60 rounds and lasts an hour or so. After 30 rounds it really starts to heat up; more so than any chrome-moly barreled 308 ar I have owned.

Yeah, it does get hot.  For a 308 it is actually a pretty thin barrel.  I usually take more than one weapon to the gun club just so I can shoot something while another barrel is cooling off.  I'm okay with having to leave a little time between mags.  I bought the rifle partly because it is light and will be easier to carry in the swamps so the trade off is worth it to me.  For someone who's primary purpose is range or competition shooting it might not be the best choice.  I am just now getting ready to be serious about working up loads for groups so it will be interesting to see how barrel heating affects grouping.

Cool. You're right about barrel contour. They made a really good choice with that profile. Now, if only they can get the gas port size right!  ??? I think you'll see that around 300 yards or so (if you get out that far), heating does not seem to affect grouping all that much. Here's my recipe:

150 FMJBT

CCI Lrg. Mag. Primer

43.6 of BL/C (2)

• 3 weeks later...

This will be a final (unless something else happens) report on dealing with CMMG's customer service.  After 2 trips back to the factory plus a new BCG I was left on my own to solve the problem.  As several folks pointed out from day one, the rifle was over gassed.  Realizing that CMMG lacked the knowledge and willingness to cure the issue I installed an adjustable gas block and instantly cured the FTE's.  It took CMMG 4 months to realize that their gas port was too large.  They told me they didn't have any barrels to replace mine with which means they don't make their own and had a bunch of improper barrels already in stock.  (They didn't figure out on their own that they were over gassed; it had to be pointed out by customers.)  Their last attempt to fix my rifle was to replace the carbine stock with an A2 stock and buffer.  That helped but didn't completely fix the ejections issues.  I notice that their newly re-done web site still shows the Mark 3 with the carbine stock.

My last 2 communications to them were to let them know that I had spent over $300 of MY money to make THEIR rifle function.  Needless to say, I never heard back from them on that.

The rifle feels good and is accurate.  Potential buyers should be aware that they may have to spend some extra money to get the rifle to function properly.  Over a period of 5 months it became quite obvious that the personnel at CMMG are abysmally ignorant about the functions of the AR platform rifles.  Their quality control is non-existent, and their customer service, while polite, is useless.  My opinion is based on my rifle and experience as well as 2 other rifles I have personally handled and at least 4 other folks I know who have had similar experiences in the past few months.

I played with a DPMS carbine at Gander tonight and I wasn't even tempted.  (Well, not much.)  I still like the way the CMMG feels and balances.  Picked up a large Sims grind to fit pad to replace the slip-on Sims pad I've been using.  Laser sighted  a Burris 3-9 electro dot scope.  I have a couple of loads worked up using Hornady A-Max bullets that look promising.  If I can keep the sweat out of my eyes at the range I'll put the results in the reloading the CMMG thread.  Thanks for all the advice and support.