• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

NIKON M-308 SCOPES

BUMP!

Anyone love or hate this scope?

I have a $500-600 budget for an entry scope for my 308 AR. I have never shot past 100 yards and its hard to find anywhere to go further where I live. I am going to be making some 1-2 hour drives to longer ranges to see if I like it as much as I think I will. I think my budget for a scope is reasonable for the time being. I want to make sure I am using the rifle at distances more than once or twice a year before I spend huge bucks on optics.

I am comparing between the Nikon M308 and the Vortex Viper HS LR.

Anyone have feedback on either?

There is a whole slew of scopes in that price range, and under, that are very good glass for the money.

I like the Nikons with the BDC reticle, the Redfields, many others.

Go to a shop that stocks lots of scopes and take a look through them all.

Jon

While i have not yet purchased the .308 versions i have bought a few of the M-223's and have been very pleased. I think Nikon has hit a home run with the current crop of scopes that would appeal to us.

The only gripe I have is the damn M-223 sticker they put on them. It bugs me.

M-223, P-223, several P-22s with the BDC-150 reticle - these things rock.  I'll eventually replace the current scopes on two of my 308 rifles with M-308 scopes. Nikon has this stuff wired.   <thumbsup>

Thanks for feedback guys. I picked up a m308 with nikoplex. I preferred the clean reticle with the calibrated turrets. Anyone know if nikon does custom turrets for different weights than the 168?

Got it at grabagun.com for 460 shipped. It was the one and only place I found it any cheaper than everywhere else.

Anyone know if nikon does custom turrets for different weights than the 168?

Nope, they sure don't.  However, you can calibrate any bullet weight/distance you want with their online software, and smack that info sheet on the side of your buttstock (laminated, of course). 

Example:

75gnchart.jpg

Here's the Nikon program - it's called "Spot-On"

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

Anyone love or hate this scope?

I have a $500-600 budget for an entry scope for my 308 AR. I have never shot past 100 yards and its hard to find anywhere to go further where I live. I am going to be making some 1-2 hour drives to longer ranges to see if I like it as much as I think I will. I think my budget for a scope is reasonable for the time being. I want to make sure I am using the rifle at distances more than once or twice a year before I spend huge bucks on optics.

I am comparing between the Nikon M308 and the Vortex Viper HS LR.

Anyone have feedback on either?

I have an M223, but I would get the Viper PST and learn the mill system if I could do it over again for my 223 ar.  Nikon will work for 100 yards no problem though.  Actually I'd be looking at picking up a Bushnel so I could have the G2 reticle on both my scopes, it's just out of your price range though at $800.

Edited by Justintoxicated

• 4 months later...

I had an M-308 (BDC) for a while. Ended up hating the BDC reticle since I was trained on MIL reticles. Returned it and got a Vortex Viper PST (6-24x50 FFP) with the MRAD reticle and was much happier. :)

Then again, we'd be comparing apples and oranges.

-S

P.S. I use a drop chart too.  :))

post-14035-0-81052500-1381553919.jpg

post-14035-0-81052500-1381553919_thumb.j

Edited by shibiwan