• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

Woke up at 5:30 this morning, prepped the ribeyes and the chuck steak.  Bring 'em up to room temp, salt and sit 45 minutes per side (or maybe longer).  Got the shrimp and the cheddar brats ready.  Done cooking for the week, already.  Gotta beat the heat, and grill in the morning.  Gets too damn hot here to cook inside the house.

P1060461.thumb.JPG.fa0b79761a76887d06c2f77345d90a1a.JPG

P1060462.thumb.JPG.1fa9561226baf514c869af1ee79f8b63.JPG

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - this was yesterday!  I cooked all this up, chowed down, and immediately went into a food coma!

Found a couple GREAT ribeyes, thick ones!  Had to pick up some fresh green beans to go with this.  The Ribeyes only got the salt treatment.  Let them come up to room temp, moderately salt one side and let them sit for at least 45 minutes. Repeat for the other side.  These guys went a little over an hour per side. That's the only seasoning they get, nothing else.  They don't come out super-salty - the salt sits in that room temp meat, and starts to break for the tissue.  DAMN, do they come out tender!!!

Green beans went on at low heat well before the meat went on the grill - whole stick of butter, chopped onion half, and a heavy spoonful of wet diced garlic.  Bring that stuff up to a butter-boil, cut the heat to low,toss in the fresh green beans, cover,... and walk away from it.

While those were simmering, I started on the beef-stock gravy. Potatoes were easy.  Once the gravy was getting close, pulled it from the heat, and lit off the grill. 7 mins per side at 425 on the grill for those ribeyes, awesome just-under-medium or a little beyond medium rare. Yank 'em, come back in, turn the heat up high on those green beans and sear them a little - by then, the ribeyes has rested.  It was game on!

P1060512.thumb.JPG.c2c146e29a36a8a4f01c657026b70252.JPG

P1060513.thumb.JPG.ea855118fd5e9a8a172457aa268cbdd1.JPG

P1060514.thumb.JPG.5e822b991f5f72553e7d3253308a2853.JPG

P1060515.thumb.JPG.65d715d0da4155fb8292726e6020397b.JPG

I was knocked the fuk OUT after chowing that down yesterday, and didn't get to tell you guys about it...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

40 minutes ago, washguy said:

WE ARE THE BEST at whatever we choose to do...from rifles to ribeyes  WE RULE !

:banana:   :thumbup:     Wash

We are.  Hands down.  Think about that, for a minute...

We have all kinds of people from military to law enforcement, machinists to eye doctors...  gunsmiths everywhere,on multiple platforms... engineers, lawyers, and true patriots abound, overflowing at the seams...

What could we, collectively, fail to accomplish?!...    

Nothing.  We would fail at nothing.  :hail:

NICE!!!   That's one of the MAIN things I miss about living there, brother.  Diving for crab in the Puget Sound.  Red Rocks were my main go-to, and the least amount I ever took out on one dive was 24 of them. 

The other thing I really miss is...  wheelin' the Jeep there.  You can't beat that wet, muddy, hill-climbin', slingin' the Jeep around a huge tree kinda shiit.  Some of the toughest trails in the nation, up there - because of the wet.  Fuk I miss that place sometimes...

Sketch     daaamn yer killin me with the crab...I LOVE CRAB .....ill never forget the first time I had soft shell crabs.... Me and the x were in Annapolis for their boat show....got there a day early to set up our booth ....so we had a rental and were driving around looking for some seafood, but all there was were franchise crap on tourist street so to speak...so I saw a police car stopped in a parking lot....rolled up got out and asked him where there was some honest to gosh seafood...Well he sez ill tell ya the name and how to get there but you wont find it...good luck to you....it was either cantrells or cantlers inn on the beach? Hell this was 1985...so followed the officers directions and about an hour later deep in the woods alongside the bay found this restaurant...Holy Crap.....brown paper for table cloths and folks pounding crabs with wooden mallets...Hell Yes...BUT there was one couple eating the legs and body of this crab WTF?  The server said they were eating soft shell crabs ...and you eat the whole thing...effin A sign me up...Daaamn just awesome couldn't get enough of them.So in Dallas no way to find them....bout  two months later we had a motorhome and were going along the Texas coast selling my product marina to marine stores....right before Galveston ...we came upon a floating restaurant in the bay called the flying Dutchman or just the Dutchman....went in for lunch...and ill be daaamed they had soft shell crabs fried up...okay im in for a basket of em to start with....so she brings out the basket and its way overflowing....and she sez its my lucky day ...there were smaller male crabs humping the female papershell crab and its a two fer one...never seen that again.....Oh well ive had soft shell here but they all suk now days.....always said if I ever left Texas I would go live in Annapolis     :thumbup:    Wash

8 hours ago, washguy said:

Sketch     daaamn yer killin me with the crab...I LOVE CRAB .....ill never forget the first time I had soft shell crabs.... Me and the x were in Annapolis for their boat show....got there a day early to set up our booth ....so we had a rental and were driving around looking for some seafood, but all there was were franchise crap on tourist street so to speak...so I saw a police car stopped in a parking lot....rolled up got out and asked him where there was some honest to gosh seafood...Well he sez ill tell ya the name and how to get there but you wont find it...good luck to you....it was either cantrells or cantlers inn on the beach? Hell this was 1985...so followed the officers directions and about an hour later deep in the woods alongside the bay found this restaurant...Holy Crap.....brown paper for table cloths and folks pounding crabs with wooden mallets...Hell Yes...BUT there was one couple eating the legs and body of this crab WTF?  The server said they were eating soft shell crabs ...and you eat the whole thing...effin A sign me up...Daaamn just awesome couldn't get enough of them.So in Dallas no way to find them....bout  two months later we had a motorhome and were going along the Texas coast selling my product marina to marine stores....right before Galveston ...we came upon a floating restaurant in the bay called the flying Dutchman or just the Dutchman....went in for lunch...and ill be daaamed they had soft shell crabs fried up...okay im in for a basket of em to start with....so she brings out the basket and its way overflowing....and she sez its my lucky day ...there were smaller male crabs humping the female papershell crab and its a two fer one...never seen that again.....Oh well ive had soft shell here but they all suk now days.....always said if I ever left Texas I would go live in Annapolis     :thumbup:    Wash

I love seafood too one of the only reasons I’d like to live on a coast, luckily one of the stores I work for gets fresh flown into Chicago daily product. Last time I got soft shell crab from them they were still alive 

These 3 pork tenderloin cuts are KILLIN' ME!...  They're in the "salt treatment" right now, just like steaks, to soften them up and break down the tissues. I can't wait to get these thick bastards on the grill... Couldn't pass them up at 1.77 a pound...  :drool:

P1060537.thumb.JPG.3d4d207734850f783659009fc7a38074.JPG

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

These 3 pork tenderloin cuts are KILLIN' ME!...  They're in the "salt treatment" right now, just like steaks, to soften them up and break down the tissues. I can't wait to get these thick bastards on the grill... Couldn't pass them up at 1.77 a pound...  :drool:

P1060537.thumb.JPG.3d4d207734850f783659009fc7a38074.JPG

And you didn't even have to light the grill to cook those today!!! Lmmfao!!!!

Food coma again. Just got up, seriously.  Knocked me the fuk out!  Damn, that was good!

I was lucky enough to go out to the grill and have this greet me - what the hell?  Yeah, sucked to grab the handle and pull that monster over into the shade...  BS... 

P1060539.thumb.JPG.c140d9b504cad62deeeda6a637b72633.JPG

So, on the thicker beef cuts I do, they ONLY get the salt treatment.  No other seasonings.  Nothing else.  On thicker pork cuts, I like to toss a little of this, only on one side...  Thank you, Mr. Mark LaRue.  :hail:

P1060540.thumb.JPG.cc445daf0342a7c817070662cbaca2c5.JPG

Just this much, nothing more...

P1060541.thumb.JPG.998bd8a9f9dfe599bdd6d9b625bdc5d1.JPG

WooHoo!!!  I do the thick pork cuts just like thick beef cuts - 7 mins per side, at about 425 on the grill...

P1060542.thumb.JPG.6deadd1e64295642f7c393d3303ee0a2.JPG

They all came off, to rest...

P1060543.thumb.JPG.6397074cb56830fd8bcadb131cf4822d.JPG

Fired up another plate with the mashed potatoes and gravy (bulk cook a couple days ago), and corn...  This is what knocked my as$ out a few hours ago.  Damn, that was good...

P1060544.thumb.JPG.02ee3d1183dc3d020ebb2dd8e51f67dd.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Change of pace.....

Anyone else been using any of these Copper Grill Mats?

image.png.8090bd4e3c3c3f08ec672fb481d879b0.png

I used one on my little GMG Davy Crockett for a rack of baby back ribs,  worked okay, fit very well, no mess no fuss.  I kinda almost over cooked them. Book called for 4 hours at 180 degrees, then add sauce and cook two more hours at 225,  I cut the grill off after one hour at 225 and they were done. Okay, directions were for 2 racks of ribs...I only cooked one rack since I am the only rib eater here at present, I did eat the ribs before taking any pics.

Edited by mrmackc

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic